The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pixar Microphone ID
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Pixar Microphone ID

Hey all. Just need help identifying the microphone Pixar is using to record in this video. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_u85n0QOwE
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks like a Shure KSM32 or KSM44/KSM42 microphone.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Looks like a Shure KSM32 or KSM44/KSM42 microphone.
Thought it might be at first, but this mic doesn't seem to have the shock mount that those Shure mics need to use, also the XLR on the mic in the video seems to be a tube mic cable that isn't similar to the ones included with the Shure mics. The Shure mics also have some screen printing on the back and logos, and the mic in the video looks blank on the back. Any other ideas?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have no idea what that is... The grill looks like a Shure KSM44, but the body isn't right and is too big. I think the KSM's have the round Shure emblem on the back as well. Beats me! I worked with a few pixar guys at one point and sat in on some sessions. It was either U87's or 103's up close, and one of the other TLM Neumanns backed off a bit for louder stuff. The only other weird mic's I can remember seeing were a Brauner a few times.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I have no idea what that is... The grill looks like a Shure KSM44, but the body isn't right and is too big. I think the KSM's have the round Shure emblem on the back as well. Beats me! I worked with a few pixar guys at one point and sat in on some sessions. It was either U87's or 103's up close, and one of the other TLM Neumanns backed off a bit for louder stuff. The only other weird mic's I can remember seeing were a Brauner a few times.
Thanks a ton for the reply! That's very cool that you were able to work with some Pixar staff. I also have heard, and seen in videos, that it's usually an 87 or something similar. I have also seen them using Brauner's too. This makes me even more curious to see if anyone here is able to find out what this mic is, since they decided to use it instead of the 87, which they must have been using for a very long time.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The only other mics that I can think of with that kind of pillow shaped head would be the Rode mics. Of which it could be the NTK.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Bumping this post. Any more ideas GS?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It’s not a Shure, but the XLR cable is a standard Switchcraft connector type so that doesn’t say much.

It’s also not a Rode.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Miktek C7e perhaps??
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage.One View Post
Miktek C7e perhaps??
I looked through the Miktek catalog the other day. There's not pads or anything on the back of the pixar mic. The shockmounts Miktek have are also pretty weird looking, but I'm sure it's a standard thread on the mic and they could use a generic shockmount.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

There are a few weird things about that clip. First off, around here for animation the usual stipulation from the big studios and most of the small ones is specifically U87. And it's become almost standard, especially with celebs, to put up an identical "safety" mic a few inches further back. The mic seems to be positioned for the camera, and the pop filter's position in front of it is pretty haphazard. Also, the "reader" is jumping in really tightly after Hanks' lines, either risking overlaps or actually creating them. Good for the pacing of the clip, but in actual practice nobody would ever do that.

So my take is that's it's staged, not real, so who cares what the mic is.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
There are a few weird things about that clip. First off, around here for animation the usual stipulation from the big studios and most of the small ones is specifically U87. And it's become almost standard, especially with celebs, to put up an identical "safety" mic a few inches further back. The mic seems to be positioned for the camera, and the pop filter's position in front of it is pretty haphazard. Also, the "reader" is jumping in really tightly after Hanks' lines, either risking overlaps or actually creating them. Good for the pacing of the clip, but in actual practice nobody would ever do that.

So my take is that's it's staged, not real, so who cares what the mic is.
I thought the same. That is definitely not the place where they recorded the dialogue for the actual film. It's just props and stuff to look good. Mic is probably a prop too. Pop shield is not over the mic capsule and the XLR cable isn't properly connected.
Old 1 week ago
MYN
Gear Addict

I agree with Brent that it appears staged, which is not uncommon for a big movie’s EPK. Just the lighting alone gives it away. Mr. Hanks is perfectly lit (and made up) for camera. Ask yourself if you would realistically have that much lighting in the booth for an actual session.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

And a vocal booth would not have the back wall covered in highly reflective glass-covered strategically placed promotional posters...
That mic is 100% a dummy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

All of this is true, but I STILL need to know what mic that is. I don't like loosing at this game!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
All of this is true, but I STILL need to know what mic that is. I don't like loosing at this game!
It’s not a real mic. It’s a dummy - a prop - a hollow piece of plastic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I don't even think that head basket is a proper metal head basket.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search