The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Custom Molded Earplugs VS off The Shelf Plugs
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Custom Molded Earplugs VS off The Shelf Plugs

Hey all, I have read the majority of threads on custom fitted plugs that you go to an audiologist to get molds for like from Sensaphonics, in comparison to plugs you can buy from a music store.

I have always had problems hearing well with any type of plug in, but have been trying my best to start taking better care of my hearing, even if it means sacrificing clarity. Over the years they only last in my ears so long during a rehearsal before I take them out.

I have recently been using Westone TRU Universal Plugs, the -25 and -20 models. During loud rehearsals these still cause me to struggle to hear all the elements clearly.

From what I read, the custom molded ones make it easier to not have to take out your plugs anytime you need to talk, as well as the frequency response being more natural. It has been compared as similar to turning a volume knob down in comparison to store bought plugs that alter the sound.

How accurate is that statement? I already assume it is a great investment for any musician around dangerous levels of sound on the regular, but will it be a world of difference from my Westones?

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I have the custom fitted Westones. Had to get molds done by an audiologist, etc. I don't like using them as much as I like keeping my hearing. No earplug is like turning down the volume. That's impossible. Low end is just not going to get turned down. The custom Westones are FAR better than the foam things I'd been using.

I use them for every gig I do, every rehearsal I do, and anytime I'm in the same room as a band. If you use them all the time, you will adjust to them. It will never be perfect, but it's better than damaging your ears.
Old 1 week ago
What kind of costs are we talking about with the fitted Westones? I might just go that route if not too expensive.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

My insurance paid for all the fees except the actual plugs. Those were around $150.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

It seems the custom fitted ones use the same filters I already am using? Makes me wonder if the difference would make much of a difference for me sonically.

https://www.westone.com/store/defend...universal-wm25
Old 1 week ago
What is the attenuation level? Walmart foam plugs are rated at -32 db.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I don't recall the attenuation level that I have. I was offered three levels and picked the middle one. They attenuate far less than foam plugs, which is fine for me because I'm not subjected to stupidly loud stuff.

I have no idea how these would compare to your off the shelf Westones. These obviously have a custom fit. That may be only a comfort advantage or it might make for a better seal.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

These are the plugs I am using, the attenuation is -25 https://www.westone.com/store/defend...universal-wm25

They are not foam ones.

If the only difference between mine and a custom fit pair is not a sonic improvement, but a better seal with more comfort, I am not so sure if it will be solving my issue.
Old 1 week ago
With high powered rifles and my 125 watt Basson Sound stack I will double up. I use the -32 db foam Walmart plugs with Winchester ear muffs over them. This has paid off over the years as my hearing at 67 beats most 18 year olds according to my audiologist. Over the ear muffs are far more effective in the lower frequencies than any inside the ear protection. Rifle shot blast waves can be concussive.

Use more hearing protection than you think you need and you won't need a hearing aid.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Custom fitted earplugs

Best piece of gear I ever purchased.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search