The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording Bass Direct: DI and Pedals in Parallel
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Recording Bass Direct: DI and Pedals in Parallel

I need to record bass live off the floor, but without an amp. DI obviously. But the player uses a lot of pedals at different points in the song and I want to capture that separately.

Problem is, the Amp out to pedals to DI on my Heritage Audio HA73's DI is very poppy/snappy, etc. I mean I could probably get the scalpel out and snip those out, but I'd rather get it right at the source.

Doesn't really seem to matter what order/combo of pedals either; I tried another Countryman Type 85 instead of the HA, and no difference either.

Setup:

Bass -> Countryman XLR -> Mic to console (life is good)
Amp -> Pedal chain -> HA Elite 73 Di (not so good)

I know you'd typically do this into amp and put that in an iso booth, but in my one-room wonder setup, that's not an option. I'm contemplating using a small guitar amp ala QOTSA No One Knows and hiding that somewhere, but I don't want any drums in that mic as the bass performance is the lead voice on the track.

Would a compressor catch some of those snaps? I have an LA2A clone (Warm Audio) I could use, a fast FET one too (Toft Audio DC-2).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I'm not entirely sure I'm following.

If I were doing it, I'd go from the bass into a passive DI. From there into a preamp (that's your clean channel) and from the Thru (parallel) of the DI to the pedals and then to a second DI and pre. If any of the pedals have any AD/DA going on you'll get a little latency, which is fixable after the fact but might make monitoring during tracking a bit weird.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Put the pedal chain before the amp.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm not entirely sure I'm following.

If I were doing it, I'd go from the bass into a passive DI. From there into a preamp (that's your clean channel) and from the Thru (parallel) of the DI to the pedals and then to a second DI and pre. If any of the pedals have any AD/DA going on you'll get a little latency, which is fixable after the fact but might make monitoring during tracking a bit weird.
This is what I'm doing exactly, but the pedals pop hard when engaged (fuzz, boost, etc.). This is not noticeable in an amp scenario. I've tried playing with the Ground/Open toggle on the Countryman DI, but to no effect.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you can’t reamp through a real amp run the pedal signal through an amp sim in your daw. And can you hear the popping in the full mix or are you possibly over obsessing over stuff you can only hear when the track is solo’d?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
This is what I'm doing exactly, but the pedals pop hard when engaged (fuzz, boost, etc.). This is not noticeable in an amp scenario. I've tried playing with the Ground/Open toggle on the Countryman DI, but to no effect.
Ohhhhhh. If you only hear the pops on that DAW track and you're not mixing live for broadcast or whatever, I'd probably just chop them out later. How many can there be?

If I was mixing live and I had that happening, first thought would be to stick an aggressive 1176 plugin on the monitor side of that DAW track so I don't mess up the recording. Those kinds of plugs don't usually have enough latency to make it sound terribly strange. And you can always stick another 1176 on the clean track to even them up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Ok, sounds like pedal pop is normal and I should deal with it. It's pretty potent: it's a massive 30db spike when one of the pedals is clicked on, but I've never noticed that with an amp at the end of the pedal chain. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search