The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I SUCK but I'm not Giving UP!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I'm pushing 70. Dither is on by default.
Awesome!

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loueasy View Post
It’s more of the comfort level on editing, mixing and production arrangements.
You need to be enjoying that stuff to be able to put the dedication into it that is needed to excel.

Quote:
I don’t know about anybody else but I think about this hobby all day long. Borderline obsession. LOL. Really.
You'll do fine then.

I have been obsessing over this for the last 25 years or so.......I can't wait to slip into the studio during my lunch break today to spend some time on the mix I have going now. I might even eat some lunch while I'm there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
One real turning point for me was the first time I got to record someone good.
The real turning point for me was spending a year or so working with a very good recording and mix guy in his very good room using very good outboard gear.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
if you know you suck it's probably not your calling, I don't think you should persue something you know you're not good at, only persue what you're exceptional at and quit everything else, it's worth reading the dip by seth godin.

Quote:
I couldn't care less about U2, the problem we have here is this guy thinks he sucks...if you have talent which he does not think he has, he has no chance of getting anywhere in the industry, inevitably it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
I can't tell you how much I disagree with those statements. When I first started out in my profession, I sucked big time, and I knew it. Like the op said, I also said, I'm not giving up. After years of determination and hard work , I am very good at what I do. I have trained about a hundred, young and old, guys and girls, to do this job and do it well. The many awards and accomplishments I have received I would not have had if someone gave me that advice....and I listened. We all can change, develop, succeed. I have a room full of gear but I personally have no desire to HAVE to do music everyday and make tons of money at it to support myself. Had I listened to this advice, I would not have this gear or be in the position I am in.
My .02
@op
Hang in there and keep pushing. Storyville on gs, Matt Weiss, had helped me many years ago. Luckily one day when he came to my place, I recorded him basically doing a tutorial of a mix he did with me. Years later, when some of the things he taught me started to sink in, I started getting a better understanding Of just how much this stuff is a skill that sometimes has to be taught by a pro. Find someone you can sit with a few times and if it's meant to be, it will be. Sitting with a pro could be 10 times more beneficial than any piece of gear. I found that out personally.
Good luck
Old 1 week ago
Since talent has raised its pretty head in this thread, I'll add a parallel from my own musical experience:

As a kid, I was told by two separate music teachers that I had "absolutely no musical talent whatsoever" (or rather they told my folks, but, you know, it got back to me).

My dad was a reasonably competent keyboardist. Every piano, organ, harp, or other easy to make noise on instrument I saw, I was drawn to. I REALLY wanted to play. I had an acuity for timbre -- I could identify pretty much all the instruments of the orchestra by sound when I was 12 -- but almost no pitch recognition ability: within a fifth or so, I could not tell which of two notes was highest or lowest. (Seriously. I broke a lot of strings trying to learn go play guitar when I was 14 or so.)

I did the usual records and books trying to learn. It seemed hopeless and, while I did learn to tune against a pitch pipe [hate those, it was so hard for me to hear the same 'pitch' because the pipe's timbre was so different than the guitar -- though I could tune to another guitar if one was around] and I did learn 'the six chords that will let you play anything' -- I learned to play, basically, nothing.

Flash forward to me as a young hippie college student of 19. My roommate at the time was a very talented guitarist, all his pals were good players. It was a wonderful environment and it got me thinking, man, I have to figure this thing out. My roomie evaluated me and -- like a saint -- loaned me his early 60s Strat to learn on with the stipulation that I rig up headphones so he didn't have to hear me plunking on my all-but unplayable ultra-cheapo-ultra-hard-to-play (to this day, I still have it, old time's sake) Taiwanese classical. (Cheap guitars have come SO far, people. I can't begin to tell you.)

It was a real uphill struggle, even with encouragement from my roommate and my GF. Serious uphill. But this time I'd decided it was do or die.

Other folks who started around the same time as me tended to make much faster progress. But I figured, hey, I've got no talent whatsoever, it's gonna be a little harder, take a longer.

I kept at it. I'm no Jimi Hendrix or Christopher Parkening -- but I can play much better and create much more sophisticated music than I ever dreamed I'd be able to do all those years ago. Worlds better. I've written 160 songs, played in front of scores of audiences (some of them even quite enthusiastic, musta been drunk), recorded all kinds of stuff -- that I can even stand to listen to. Heck, I even had one track that got downloaded 2200 times in a single day on the old MP3.com -- and my songwriter blog has somehow racked up 3/4 of a million streams and downloads.

It's not where you start, it's how far you travel, it's what you experience on the journey; it's what happens within you.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
I can't tell you how much I disagree with those statements. When I first started out in my profession, I sucked big time, and I knew it. Like the op said, I also said, I'm not giving up. After years of determination and hard work , I am very good at what I do. I have trained about a hundred, young and old, guys and girls, to do this job and do it well. The many awards and accomplishments I have received I would not have had if someone gave me that advice....and I listened. We all can change, develop, succeed. I have a room full of gear but I personally have no desire to HAVE to do music everyday and make tons of money at it to support myself. Had I listened to this advice, I would not have this gear or be in the position I am in.
My .02
@op
Hang in there and keep pushing. Storyville on gs, Matt Weiss, had helped me many years ago. Luckily one day when he came to my place, I recorded him basically doing a tutorial of a mix he did with me. Years later, when some of the things he taught me started to sink in, I started getting a better understanding Of just how much this stuff is a skill that sometimes has to be taught by a pro. Find someone you can sit with a few times and if it's meant to be, it will be. Sitting with a pro could be 10 times more beneficial than any piece of gear. I found that out personally.
Good luck
I've 'sat with pros' though, please don't tell me what or what not to do with my life, as well meaning as you probably are, you don't have to agree with anything I say, that's fine with me but I'll stick with what I said originally and guard my right to dislike U2.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Since talent has raised its pretty head in this thread, I'll add a parallel from my own musical experience:

As a kid, I was told by two separate music teachers that I had "absolutely no musical talent whatsoever" (or rather they told my folks, but, you know, it got back to me).

My dad was a reasonably competent keyboardist. Every piano, organ, harp, or other easy to make noise on instrument I saw, I was drawn to. I REALLY wanted to play. I had an acuity for timbre -- I could identify pretty much all the instruments of the orchestra by sound when I was 12 -- but almost no pitch recognition ability: within a fifth or so, I could not tell which of two notes was highest or lowest. (Seriously. I broke a lot of strings trying to learn go play guitar when I was 14 or so.)

I did the usual records and books trying to learn. It seemed hopeless and, while I did learn to tune against a pitch pipe [hate those, it was so hard for me to hear the same 'pitch' because the pipe's timbre was so different than the guitar -- though I could tune to another guitar if one was around] and I did learn 'the six chords that will let you play anything' -- I learned to play, basically, nothing.

Flash forward to me as a young hippie college student of 19. My roommate at the time was a very talented guitarist, all his pals were good players. It was a wonderful environment and it got me thinking, man, I have to figure this thing out. My roomie evaluated me and -- like a saint -- loaned me his early 60s Strat to learn on with the stipulation that I rig up headphones so he didn't have to hear me plunking on my all-but unplayable ultra-cheapo-ultra-hard-to-play (to this day, I still have it, old time's sake) Taiwanese classical. (Cheap guitars have come SO far, people. I can't begin to tell you.)

It was a real uphill struggle, even with encouragement from my roommate and my GF. Serious uphill. But this time I'd decided it was do or die.

Other folks who started around the same time as me tended to make much faster progress. But I figured, hey, I've got no talent whatsoever, it's gonna be a little harder, take a longer.

I kept at it. I'm no Jimi Hendrix or Christopher Parkening -- but I can play much better and create much more sophisticated music than I ever dreamed I'd be able to do all those years ago. Worlds better. I've written 160 songs, played in front of scores of audiences (some of them even quite enthusiastic, musta been drunk), recorded all kinds of stuff -- that I can even stand to listen to. Heck, I even had one track that got downloaded 2200 times in a single day on the old MP3.com -- and my songwriter blog has somehow racked up 3/4 of a million streams and downloads.

It's not where you start, it's how far you travel, it's what you experience on the journey; it's what happens within you.
Yes. I'm not THAT good either. But I have a million dollars, how did that happen?...

Only in America Baby!!!!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

In a professional studio ..gotta know what you're doing. Otherwise, it's a blank canvas to throw paint on.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've 'sat with pros' though, please don't tell me what or what not to do with my life, as well meaning as you probably are, you don't have to agree with anything I say, that's fine with me but I'll stick with what I said originally and guard my right to dislike U2.
Wha Wha What?
Live your life how you may. All good with me.
I respect your opinion. My opinion differ from yours.
I’m in America. Free thinking my man!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Nobody ever had to work hard to make it. Nobody ever sucked and still reached the top. We've solved it. Sorry guy, you obviously weren't born with it, and clearly none of it can be taught.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by open_source View Post
Nobody ever had to work hard to make it. Nobody ever sucked and still reached the top. We've solved it. Sorry guy, you obviously weren't born with it, and clearly none of it can be taught.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Yes. I'm not THAT good either. But I have a million dollars, how did that happen?...

Only in America Baby!!!!

Well, as much a challenge as learning to play as an adult was, as meager as my musical successes have been, if someone had offered me a million dollars to NOT learn to play and, say, go to law school like a lot of my pals, knowing what I know now, I'd stick with the path I followed. (Even as it was I've worked plenty of side jobs along the way and even as I closed down my old project studio because, studio competition what it was, it was much easier to make the monthly nut doing database application coding.)

Now, for sure, I don't have a family and have largely only been responsible for myself. If I'd had kids, a family, other priorities would likely have intervened. I'm not judging anyone else's choices, nor arguing that anyone should follow my lead.

I'm just talking about the personal values I see from the perspective of my pushing-70 advanced age.

I wanted to make music the whole time I was a kid. I'm glad I finally had what it took to plunge in and begin the lifelong job of learning to be a musician, even a self-indulgent, ivory tower iconoclast as someone once called me. I'll own that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Well, as much a challenge as learning to play as an adult was, as meager as my musical successes have been, if someone had offered me a million dollars to NOT learn to play and, say, go to law school like a lot of my pals, knowing what I know now, I'd stick with the path I followed. (Even as it was I've worked plenty of side jobs along the way and even as I closed down my old project studio because, studio competition what it was, it was much easier to make the monthly nut doing database application coding.)

Now, for sure, I don't have a family and have largely only been responsible for myself. If I'd had kids, a family, other priorities would likely have intervened. I'm not judging anyone else's choices, nor arguing that anyone should follow my lead.

I'm just talking about the personal values I see from the perspective of my pushing-70 advanced age.

I wanted to make music the whole time I was a kid. I'm glad I finally had what it took to plunge in and begin the lifelong job of learning to be a musician, even a self-indulgent, ivory tower iconoclast as someone once called me. I'll own that.
Good. Not too bad for a 70 year old....

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Good. Not too bad for a 70 year old....

Never saw that one. I was kind of over sci-fi by the mid 80s.

But I'll say one thing: that CG animation sure made me feel old. Oy. How could that have ever seemed acceptable? Even to Lynch? That said, good sci-fi is about ideas, not special FX.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

When did this become a group therapy forum? I spend about as much time (and money) in astrophotography as I do with music, and I have never seen anything like this in astrophotography forums. I'm here for the gear, not people's personal problems.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettingDaysGoBy View Post
When did this become a group therapy forum? I spend about as much time (and money) in astrophotography as I do with music, and I have never seen anything like this in astrophotography forums. I'm here for the gear, not people's personal problems.

You’re talking about the difference between a fairly scientific field and a creative one. Not to say that anything photography related isn’t creative, but they obviously pull in different kinds of people for the most part. Case and point: you don’t understand why the creatives are sitting around talking about our feelings .

There are plenty of threads about gear, this isn’t one of them. Don’t worry, we’ll get back to buying gear soon and talking about how it’s the only thing that matters.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

"Sucking" is two things...
It's subjective.
It's a sliding scale.

The people who scare me are those who think they rule the world, are totally blind to their "suck" parts, and refuse to consider suggestions. But then, since it's subjective, I might be messing them up by offering suggestions. So who really knows? Lots of people said that Dylan sucked when he came out. Lots still do say that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Every time u think “suck” you grease an engine.

Once its greased up enough your fear of sucking will be irrelevant to the decisions you make in life or even a mix.

Sucking is a conclusion... and u are still alive friend.

Last edited by XKAudio; 1 week ago at 08:38 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But... what about those times when the gear is someone's personal problem?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
How could that have ever seemed acceptable? Even to Lynch?
It wasn't:
"In some cuts, Lynch's name is replaced in the credits with the name Alan Smithee, a pseudonym used by directors who wish not to be associated with a film for which they would normally be credited. The extended and television versions additionally credit writer Lynch as Judas Booth."
-From Wikipedia's entry for "Dune (1984_film)"
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

Here's a simple, straightforward solution:

When you realize you're not interested in something you're reading here -- just stop reading.

Is that really so hard?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
It wasn't:
"In some cuts, Lynch's name is replaced in the credits with the name Alan Smithee, a pseudonym used by directors who wish not to be associated with a film for which they would normally be credited. The extended and television versions additionally credit writer Lynch as Judas Booth."

Ah... I feel better.

But... rather disturbingly, I now have a morbid curiosity and want to see the flick.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Here's a simple, straightforward solution:

When you realize you're not interested in something you're reading here -- just stop reading.

Is that really so hard?
Actually, yes. There is no easy way to suppress forum threads and users, and the OP made a headline with all caps to make sure I see it. It's a flaw in the site design to not easily and effectively repress content. I come to this forum because it is geared towards more professional content, and is usually effectively moderated. People spend oodles of money in astrophotography. It is a difficult skill to master, and takes serious dedication, but I never see the amount of public kvetching that I see with people involved with anything music related. There are plenty of forums on this site for this type of thing I will never look at. I am just not into this "Chicken Soup for the Gear Slut" thing. This is a whole forum for it "https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/."

Usually the mods move these threads Mods, if you see this, I would love to see a paid version of this site which gives me more tool to edit and control content I see, and users I interact with.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
It wasn't:
Oddly enough, one of my favorite films of all time. It had some wickedly horrid moments, but also a few of the most bizarre and brilliant moments ever put to film. Like the meeting between the emperor and the navigator, and Vladimir Harkonnen's tirade.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Actually, yes. There is no easy way to suppress forum threads and users, and the OP made a headline with all caps to make sure I see it. It's a flaw in the site design to not easily and effectively repress content. I come to this forum because it is geared towards more professional content, and is usually effectively moderated. People spend oodles of money in astrophotography. It is a difficult skill to master, and takes serious dedication, but I never see the amount of public kvetching that I see with people involved with anything music related. There are plenty of forums on this site for this type of thing I will never look at. I am just not into this "Chicken Soup for the Gear Slut" thing. This is a whole forum for it "https://www.gearslutz.com/board/the-moan-zone/."

Usually the mods move these threads Mods, if you see this, I would love to see a paid version of this site which gives me more tool to edit and control content I see, and users I interact with.
Tell me about it, I've been a moderator on a music forum (songwriting, not here).

And, actually, that's probably where I honed the (occasionally) no-nonsense social forum problem-solving 'skill' manifested in my pithy, perhaps over-casual suggestion.

Even before that formative social media experience, I found that, while it was largely impossible for me to effect significant changes in others' behavior over the short term, I could nonetheless spare myself much vexation by deconstructing my own expectations of others' behavior and disentangling that analysis from their own apparent responses to their life experiences, trying to understand what I was projecting onto them in order, in part, to allow myself a more clear view of who they were and what their patterns of behavior were, so as to better deal with them (or avoid them as common sense dictated).

With regard to astrophotography, while it's a bit outside my direct knowledge, I can imagine it's work that's highly technical, incredibly precise, and demands great discipline -- I imagine it's a socio-collegial cohort that shares only limited overlap with that of musicians, who, let's face it, tend to be on the creative, expulsive, less-disciplined, improvisational end of the spectrum suggested by those two arguable extremes.

I'm not surprised that it's a very, very different social dynamic.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Oddly enough, one of my favorite films of all time. It had some wickedly horrid moments, but also a few of the most bizarre and brilliant moments ever put to film. Like the meeting between the emperor and the navigator, and Vladimir Harkonnen's tirade.
I'm sure the CG awkwardness was greatly magnified by the lossy compression imposed on the YT video.

Lynch is a really interesting director. I went through kind of a fan thing. (Though it kind of ended with Twin Peaks, which I got too into and then was disappointed by by the apparently rushed attempt to end it -- and then there was the movie. Oh, my. I really tried to like it, to make it make the whole thing work. But it seemed so mechanistic, like he had a checklist of loose ends he'd decided he had to knit together... I'm really a drag when I feel let down by a favored auteur. )
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm sure the CG awkwardness was greatly magnified by the lossy compression imposed on the YT video.

Lynch is a really interesting director. I went through kind of a fan thing. (Though it kind of ended with Twin Peaks, which I got too into and then was disappointed by by the apparently rushed attempt to end it -- and then there was the movie. Oh, my. I really tried to like it, to make it make the whole thing work. But it seemed so mechanistic, like he had a checklist of loose ends he'd decided he had to knit together... I'm really a drag when I feel let down by a favored auteur. )
Me too,
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
LOL.... sorry but I have had 4 girls come through my studio.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Yes 4 girls.. and they don''t make movies about that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

yeah, Twin Peaks is a disaster in slow motion. He only directed a few episodes.

But Mulholland Drive is a magnificent homage to Sunset Blvd, in how it surrealistically peels back Hollywood's veneer of civility. And Blue Velvet does that to every American small town. Eraserhead and Lost Highway are WTF from start to finish. The Straight Story is genius in how, through slow pacing, it takes the viewer on a lawnmower road trip across states, and how we discover the hero's demons though the people he meets along the way. The Elephant Man is simply a masterpiece of filmmaking.

There really are only a few with a body of work like his, who are still working. Woody Allen, Quentin, Nolan, Burton, Scorsese, and a few others. Directors who changed cinema, and how we see it. Of the group, Lynch is, by far, the most experimental and reckless. There is no middle ground with him. If it caves, it caves hard. But when it works, it's hallucinatory, like a tiny peek into another dimension.

But hey, this is Gear Slutz! Not Film Slutz.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

You can post in “forum issues and suggestions”. I wouldn’t normally speak for the owner but I can tell you with 100% certainty here he won’t be interested

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search