The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Beyerdynamic M160 vs Gefell M300 / Neumann KM84 for Electric Guitar
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Beyerdynamic M160 vs Gefell M300 / Neumann KM84 for Electric Guitar

I was considering buying a Beyerdynamic M160, which I would mix with an SM57 on an electric guitar amp...but I have a pair of Gefell M300 mics and decided to try one on my amp, and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't think a SDC would be suitable for electric guitar, but this mic sounds very smooth and creamy with some nice low end that is missing from the SM57. I ended up using the M300 as my main mic, while bringing up some SM57 for that mid range, but a fair amount lower. The M300 doesn't seem to add any high frequencies that the SM57 already has, but I don't need that anyway for the ambient style of music I create.

I've read that the M300 sounds practically the same as the KM 84 and am just wondering if anyone has experience with both the M160 and the M300 and/or KM84? I'm basically trying to decide if I still need the M160 or will the M300 / SM57 combo work just as well for me as an M160 / SM57 combo?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

KM84 is different than M300. It's obvious from spectral response where KM84 feels more flat (tilted to highend but with no bumps and dips) and m300 has quite noticable high shelf and lowpass, also the lowend rolls over less seemlessly than with KM84. That description probably looks terrible, but it actually works really well on many things. KM84s are more neutral though.

You said you're happy with the results. What more do you need? Whatever works works.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I don't know what else you're doing (think we were talking about ambient guitar before), but a 57 with an M160 is a pretty classic pairing. Same with a (vintage) MD421 off-axis to a 57; all three are also popular and I own/use all three on guitar too. Tons of tonal options by just playing with the faders to bring the mics in and out of phase with one another.

M300/KM84 would be something totally different altogether though.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

matucha your info about the difference between the M300 and KM84 is very useful as I think it’s the high shelf and low pass on the M300 that is working for me, thanks for this and the encouragement!

gravyface, thanks also for this description, I think I would like to hear these other tonal options and have different mic tones on different tracks, so I may have to get the M160 anyway!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofmai View Post
matucha your info about the difference between the M300 and KM84 is very useful as I think it’s the high shelf and low pass on the M300 that is working for me, thanks for this and the encouragement!

gravyface, thanks also for this description, I think I would like to hear these other tonal options and have different mic tones on different tracks, so I may have to get the M160 anyway!
You won't regret the M160. It's a classic, pretty bullet proof too for a ribbon; can take a lot of SPL.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search