The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog Summing - Can't Here Insert Effects On "PRINT" Channel ?
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear
Analog Summing - Can't Here Insert Effects On "PRINT" Channel ?

I'm sending 14 Channels out of my interface into a summing box, I then send that stereo mix back into Cubase via SPDIF in. To be able to monitor and/or "print" that summed mix, I create a stereo audio track, with the input set to the SPDIF in (my summed mix), and the output set to stereo out.

I'm experimenting with putting a plugin(s) on the insert of the print Channel, but I can't hear the effect. Can someone please explain why this isn't working? Surely there's a way to use plugins after the summed mix?

Thanks
Marc
Old 4th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP View Post
I'm sending 14 Channels out of my interface into a summing box, I then send that stereo mix back into Cubase via SPDIF in. To be able to monitor and/or "print" that summed mix, I create a stereo audio track, with the input set to the SPDIF in (my summed mix), and the output set to stereo out.

I'm experimenting with putting a plugin(s) on the insert of the print Channel, but I can't hear the effect. Can someone please explain why this isn't working? Surely there's a way to use plugins after the summed mix?

Thanks
Marc
double check your I/O settings making sure things are what they are labeled
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Nut
What I do is I return into an aux track called “sum return.” That then digitally routes to an audio track. I print clean, then I apply mastering to the audio track after it’s printed.

I originally used the aux so I could use stereo width and vu meter plugins to calibrate the individual channels of the ca500 adat. Then I just kept the aux there because it was already routed

I guess I should call it 2bus processing, not “mastering.” But I’m only summing 8 channels, so 4 stereo sub mixes, which already have what I’d consider to be “2bus processing,” on them. (Saturation and compression.)

Everything I do to the master is usually reductive eq and limiting. So call it whatever you want.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search