The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
will i ever record my music - diy vs commercial bought gear
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
will i ever record my music - diy vs commercial bought gear

hi GS,

tl;dr
- diy or commercial recommendations for vocal mics, preamps based on my voice (clip below)
- diy vs commercial microphones/preamps - will i actually save money and get better quality? recommendations based on what i like from the list at the bottom?
- budget - a few k $CAD
- old crappy recording i have of my at-the-time-crappy-singing voice timbre/tone (im alot better now but you can kind of tell my timbre at least): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEnN...ature=youtu.be

alright, so i have a friend who is an engineer and GS. initially i thought i would go to a studio to record stuff, but because of cost and because i am specific about how i like things, he recommended building a small setup at home. i got sick of looking for singers and decide to just work on music that fits my voice...because at the end of the day i just want to record music and get my stuff out there.

gear i have gotten in this endeavour:
- diy PC I built with specific parts, jbl lsr 305 mk2, keylab 49, (old) rode m3 mic, a bunch of guitars, RME babyface pro.

my musical style currently: acoustic/singer-songwriter(i hate that phrase) stuff with lots of jazz chords, but 'pop' friendly. there will be electronic aspects more for drums (maybe ill reamp) and some synths (looking outboard). one song i wrote recently is in bossa nova style.

mics/preamps i've considered getting:
i was going to get an aston origin and a GAP pre 73 and call it a day.

my friend says i should DIY preamps, compressors, EQ. i would love to, feel it will take me too long, ill waste more time not working on MUSIC. i have electronics experience and know how to solder.

i love learning so DIY is not an issue. the issue is too many options. i listened to many vocal mic shootouts including sweetwater.

is there a decent all rounder i can started with? or should i get separate mics based on application? this is what i liked from the sweetwater soundclips:

vocals

lauten audio l320
akg c414
aston origin (spirit was meh, origin ++)
rode ntk (+)
shure ksm44a (++ seemed very balanced?)
neumann tlm 103
behringer c-1 (shocker lol)
audio technia at4050

electric guitar:
sm 57
beyerdynamic m 160

clean guitar:
audix i5
sm57
e609
audio technica 4047

acoustic guitar:
miktek c5 (seemed detailed on the top end not too boomy, balanced)

preamps: haven't listened to many shootouts of them, so not sure.

- are there diy mics, or preamps you'd recommend based on the above? THANK YOU!

all this stuff is overwhelming, but thats just my personality...makes it hard to get stuff done! /endrant. thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
mods feel free to delete this thread; im posting it in my original thread in low end theory. thank you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search