The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EQ Kick Drum On Mackie CFX12
Old 2nd October 2019
Here for the gear

EQ Kick Drum On Mackie CFX12

Hi,

Firstly I am a complete novie with Mixing Desks and EQ.

My daughter (15) (Drummer) has started a band and has inherited a Mackie CFX12 withan AMP and 2 Peavey speakers.

She has also aquired a set of drum mics.

The problem I have is getting a decent kick sound from the Mackie.

I have read many articles saying which frequncies to boost or cut but the issue I have with the Mackie is that it only has a high frequency 12k dial a low frequncy 80hz dial and then a mid dial which is 2 dials one that sets the frequency from 100hz to 8k and the second dial which sets the +- DB for this dial.

The problem is that with the mid I can only set 1 frequncy and then boost or cut this frequncy and the arcticles I have read suggest boosting or cutting certain frequencies within the 100hz to 8k range.

I have got the low cut turned off for the kick drum channel.

Also which is the best kick drum mic placement for a good all round live sound (the group generaky play covers from oasis, arctic monkeys, muse etc and consist or drummer, vocalist, bass guitar, lead guitar. they are generaly playing indoors in pubs etc)

I would love some advice as to how to set the 4 dials for a good low kick sound.

Many thanks for your time.
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

You should just be able to place a mic (lets say, AKG D112) near the bass drum, and raise the level til it's somewhat heard. Leave the eq alone (if possible on that board)..I always left all eq neutral (off) on my CFX12 until I was able to replace it with a mixer that has no eq. Anyway, if you have unwanted boominess, just engage the "low cut" switch on the kick-drum mic channel ...it's a typical high-pass filter than tapers signal starting at around 100 Hz.
Old 3rd October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
You should just be able to place a mic (lets say, AKG D112) near the bass drum, and raise the level til it's somewhat heard. Leave the eq alone (if possible on that board)..I always left all eq neutral (off) on my CFX12 until I was able to replace it with a mixer that has no eq. Anyway, if you have unwanted boominess, just engage the "low cut" switch on the kick-drum mic channel ...it's a typical high-pass filter than tapers signal starting at around 100 Hz.
Thank you I will give it a try.

The other thing that may not be helping is that the 2 speakers (Peavey Hisys 6 XT) which according to the manual is no good for responses below 100hz.

It mentions that for resposes below that you would need to add a sub.

Thanks for your time and advice.
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Nut

d112 just in the hole. boost a lot of 80 and a lot of 100 add 12 hz to taste. I have an old sr24-4 similar eq
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftly View Post
Thank you I will give it a try.

The other thing that may not be helping is that the 2 speakers (Peavey Hisys 6 XT) which according to the manual is no good for responses below 100hz.

It mentions that for resposes below that you would need to add a sub.

Thanks for your time and advice.
Btw, are you talking about recording or live? (I'm mixed up, lol) . . if it's recording, then you'll want to end up with some sort of studio monitors.
Old 3rd October 2019
It depends a lot on many other factors such as the actual tuning of the drum, the speaker/PA system quality, the room etc etc, but you might want to try the "death to 500" trick.

It's as easy as it sounds. Cut at approximately 500Hz by a hilarious amount (likely as much as you can) then add a bit of LF and HF to taste.

With only 3 very limited bands of EQ this will probably get you in the ballpark of what you're looking for.

I suspect the speakers are a very limiting factor, as those are not appropriate for getting a big kick sound.
Old 4th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Btw, are you talking about recording or live? (I'm mixed up, lol) . . if it's recording, then you'll want to end up with some sort of studio monitors.
Its live performances.

Many thanks
Old 4th October 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks guys for the great advice so far.

You have given me a few things to try and I will let you know how I get on.

Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

try an audix D6 for a BassDrum mic. its has quite a pre EQ'ed sound to it. will likely aide with the limited eq section on the mackie
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftly View Post
Its live performances.

Many thanks
Ok then, you're good to go. Btw, drums are loud, unless it's a huge place .. I'd go light on the volume, maybe a tad for a bit of fullness.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search