The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tired of USB/FW interfaces... PT HDX? Or should I still give Raydat a chance in 2019?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Tired of USB/FW interfaces... PT HDX? Or should I still give Raydat a chance in 2019?

Hi guys!
I think I grew up to get out of the world of USB/FW audio interfaces with my production/mixing studio. I'm totally fed up with all these clocking/drivers/latency problems. I went through a serious bunch of products: starting from the good old Apogee Ensemble FW, all the way through Fireface 800, Apollo silverface, M-audio Profire and a couple of MOTUs right up to the Antelope Orion.

All of these were okay (some better than the others), but none provided what I'd call "rock solid stability". There's always SOMETHING once in a while, that forces me to either restart the interface or the whole computer, which can literally ruin the whole creative process. I recently switched back (after 12 years) from Mac to PC, so PCIe is an option again.

I worked in many different studios around the country for the last 14 years, and as much as I hate Pro Tools for it's workflow (I used to be a Logic guy, switched to Reaper a while ago - never looking back), I must admit that the old HD 10 DSP rig was the only REALLY solid and 100% reliable system I ever got my hands on.

Now here's my question: Should I still give something like RME HDSP/Raydat a chance in 2019 (I use external ADAT/AES converters anyway), or should I break the piggy-bank, suck up my hate for Pro Tools's UI and go for an HDX DSP rig?

Any thoughts would be apreciated!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I had a similar experience over the years. Even pro stuff like Apogee Symphony could get me freezing Macs on rare occasions, it was frustrating.

I think it's not so much about the connection than the implementation. I ended up with Metric Halo, because it was known for it's ultimative stability. The most recent converters of them are LAN connected which seems to be a good choice. That is rock solid for me and sounds very good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Again, similar over the years

Went for the RME HDSPe AES; only reboot W7 now when a windows update requires it
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Got a HDSPe Raydat today, installed it, hooked up to the converters and.... after a whole day of recording and mixing ...it's more than promising!
I've just ended a big session (over 120 tracks with heavy plugin load), 64 samples buffer all the way through (on purpose, to test the perfomance).... without a single glitch! I'd normally restart the Orion at least twice a day like today, due to it's random hiccups, especially when switching between samplerates, so.... So far so good!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickTylza View Post
Any thoughts would be apreciated!
I'll track a band with an Apollo if it's great money or something I really want to do. Otherwise it's either HDX (great) or an older TDM rig (fine). Apollo sounds a tad better than TDM but I don't care.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've been considering the same for the day I finally replace my ancient Mac Pro 1.1, Pro Tools 9 Firewire, Saffire Pro 40 rig. It's been pretty damn stable for what it cost me but still.. LOL I stayed on Snow Leopard.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search