The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb PCM 80 vs PCM90
Old 28th October 2002
Gear Addict

Reverb PCM 80 vs PCM90

Any difference in the sound of reverb in these two units?
Old 28th October 2002
Yes...The 90/91 sounds better to my ears, although the 80/81 verb sounds better than their cheaper model verbs.
Old 1st November 2002
Here for the gear

also interested about lexicons.

heya,

good to see a lexicon thread at the opportune moment --- i also posted this on tape-op...

i have been interested in picking up a nice-sounding reverb for quite awhile now and iÕve more-more-or-less narrowed it down to something from the lexicon pcm series. now, these range from about $350 (used) for the pcm41 all the way up to $1500 (used) for the pcm91. i am prepared to pay for something in the $1000 range if it is justified. where does the quality start dropping off on these units (i.e. is there a huge sound difference between the pcm70 and the pcm80)?

i picked up the waves bundle and i use the renaissance reverb often, but iÕm starting to feel it lacks the air iÕm looking for.... i want to put my money into something ÔoutboardÕ that wonÕt lose itÕs value. i have an eventide H3000 and a roland spring reverb right now so i guess (to compliment this) iÕm looking for a nice, clean, multi-purpose reverb. i kind of scrapped my plan to buy a furman rv-1 for this reason and decided to put the money into something i could use indefinitely.

if you donÕt think the lexicon is the way to go, please say so! i unfortunately donÕt have the space to house a larger spring reverb --- i have rack space though...

any help would be appreciated!

cheers,

cal
Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

Actually, I'm not even sure about the differences between the 90 and the 91 other than the fact that the 91 has AES while the 90 has only spdif as I've used the 91 and not the 90. The 91 is quite good but not right there with the 480 I think. I haven't used the 960 yet.

If you're looking for sort of a dedicated vocal reverb unit I would go for the 90/91. If you're looking for a general purpose/flexible reverb unit I would go for a TC M3000 and if you want more a multi-fx/reverb unit I would go for the 80/81.

If you somehow have the money for all of them you're gonna get a nice palette to mix with... or better yet, get an Eventide DSP7000/Orville and get to fx' heavens!
Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

I forgot the new Kurzweil unit everybody is raving about! You really have to check out the KSP8! That's what I'm planning to do!
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
Actually, I'm not even sure about the differences between the 90 and the 91 other than the fact that the 91 has AES while the 90 has only spdif as I've used the 91 and not the 90. The 91 is quite good but not right there with the 480 I think. I haven't used the 960 yet.
The 91 has the Dual Algorithm card built into its ROM, the 90 does not ... the preset Buckslam Oil is a dual algo designed after Buckram and 10W30 from the 480 ....
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Addict

The 80/81 is designed with one chip for Verb and one for FX
THe 90/91 is designed with TWO verb chips (usually meant to be layered for a nicer sound).
They were designed to be complimentary.

That's why the 90/91 is better for verb. But - the 80/81 is a more flexible overall unit - and is really useful. These days there are better verb choices than the 91 - like Altiverb or Quantec or Kurzweil or TC or $ony or a 960. Of course you can buy a 91 - then program it into Altiverb - and then sell it!
or is that cheating....tut
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
Of course you can buy a 91 - then program it into Altiverb - and then sell it!
or is that cheating....tut
I don't think that's cheating. Of course there are a lot of presents so it would be a lot of work. Plus, not everybody uses a DAW and the poster might want a hardware unit...
Old 8th November 2002
One with big hooves

Re: also interested about lexicons.

Quote:
Originally posted by sheep dispatch

i have been interested in picking up a nice-sounding reverb for quite awhile now and iÕve more-more-or-less narrowed it down to something from the lexicon pcm series. now, these range from about $350 (used) for the pcm41 all the way up to $1500 (used) for the pcm91. i am prepared to pay for something in the $1000 range if it is justified. where does the quality start dropping off on these units (i.e. is there a huge sound difference between the pcm70 and the pcm80)?
The PCM 41 and 42 are delays and don't do reverb. Neither the PCM70 or 90/91 sucks for reverb. It's more a question of what kind of sound you want. The reverbs in the 80 sound very similar to the ones in the MPX-1 to my ears.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear