The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Desert Island Audio BA183 Mic Preamp??
Old 9th June 2007
Gear Addict

Desert Island Audio BA183 Mic Preamp??

Hi

Anyone have experience about Desert Island Audio BA183 Dual Mic Preamp?
Neve BA183

How's compare to famous Brent Avirill , Vintech , Vintage Design or Phoenix Audio?

Thanks
Old 9th June 2007
Lives for gear

I dunno, I've seen their 4 ch. SSL pre box on eBay, but at that time there was no website.

Anyone out there substantiate this as legit?
Old 27th August 2009
Here for the gear

I have 4 channels of his 1272 preamps and they sound incredible. I'd buy 4 more, but he's out.
Old 25th April 2010
Here for the gear

I just played on the Ellen show and they put the Neve 1272 cigar box on bass and it sounded killer! Very nice guy there that builds them.
Old 7th August 2010
Gear Head

Greetings!

Anybody else have experience with these mic pre's?

Thanks.
Nate
Old 8th August 2010
Gear Addict

I have been using their BA183 pre for about 3 years now. It sounds really great. Everybody loves it at my place. Totally has a Neve flavor IMO. Solid build quality. They look great too (my Avatar)!
Old 8th August 2010
Gear Head

Thanks for the response!

I was wondering if you've ever used the DI's on it? If so on what? I'm curious mostly for synths but I'm curious about bass and acoustic guitars as well.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Nate
Old 8th August 2010
Gear Addict

The DI input sounds great for bass and synths. I use it all of the time. I don't have much occasion to use the DI for acoustic guitars as I almost always use a mic.

My understanding is that this pre uses the same BA183 card as found in 1272's. I should also mention that the HP filter in this unit is great as well.

I am not sure if this will be helpful, but the acoustic guitar playing on the following homepage was recorded with this preamp (mic was an SM81 and no EQ was used):
Home | Alchemy Acoustic Labs
Old 27th January 2011
Here for the gear

Desert Island Audio..

I'm looking to get rid of my BAE vintage 1272's for something else. Maybe Martech's. I have 4 of Desert Island's 1272's and think that's enough dark pre's for my rack. My 6 vintage BAE 312 pre's definitely take care of the lighter sounding tracks. I'm going to see him tomorrow on The Ellen Show. The guy's name is Eric Slaughter. He's the monitor engineer on the show.
Old 27th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegtours View Post
I'm looking to get rid of my BAE vintage 1272's for something else. Maybe Martech's. I have 4 of Desert Island's 1272's and think that's enough dark pre's for my rack. My 6 vintage BAE 312 pre's definitely take care of the lighter sounding tracks. I'm going to see him tomorrow on The Ellen Show. The guy's name is Eric Slaughter. He's the monitor engineer on the show.
Tell Eric I said Hey..... I was on the show playing with Jason Castro if he doesn't remember.

Thanks.
Old 27th January 2011
Here for the gear

Eric Slaughter...

I'll let him know!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search