The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Could you build an analogue studio with $25,000?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwave View Post
I have 25k in cabling.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toakley View Post
To the moderator, something of note - I have had people private messaging me about this thread, saying they didn't want to get involved in this discussion because of all the militant negativity that ensued here, but they still wanted to help. This is not the right way to bring people together and share opinions, these threads should feel approachable - we will all benefit.
If I’m “the moderator” you’re referring to (I thought I had a screen name too!), that’s good for you, but I can’t control how or what people want to interact.

The only thing I can police is outright rudeness/insults; and my own behaviour of course. Which I think I’ve done,

FWIW you’re doing exactly what I’d consider the sensible course of action is.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply - we just got home from tour and I have trouble posting from my phone!

After much deliberation we have decided to take a different approach on this project. We will be going to a studio to track drums (or perhaps the whole album) then doing any necessary overdubs at home.

We are still building the studio, and I have now recorded every piece of gear recommended in this thread. We came into this with our own list of gear we wanted but your suggestions have been great and we will be keeping an eye out for good deals on used gear! We're allowing ourselves more time to hunt for the right gear at the right price, and to not rush the project. As such, the studio will more likely be a 3-5 year project.

All the positive suggestions and opinions were greatly appreciated!

Those of you that encouraged this thread to descend into negativity and paranoia - I hope you can use this thread as a lesson to keep a smile on your face and an open mind in any situation. You will come off as far less bitter and angry with an open heart.

To the moderator, something of note - I have had people private messaging me about this thread, saying they didn't want to get involved in this discussion because of all the militant negativity that ensued here, but they still wanted to help. This is not the right way to bring people together and share opinions, these threads should feel approachable - we will all benefit.
As long as youre putting out good ear candy the how doest matter.
Rock on rockers!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply - we just got home from tour and I have trouble posting from my phone!

After much deliberation we have decided to take a different approach on this project. We will be going to a studio to track drums (or perhaps the whole album) then doing any necessary overdubs at home.
This absolutely sounds like the right call to me. Congratulations. Please post results here when it’s finished.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

our studio started with 20k,,,, that lasted about a month of purchases. We have been in business now for 16 years.... the total so far is around 250k.
If I was a band with a 25k budget I would find a good studio to record at... If I had an extra million that the feds were going to tax, then I would build a studio.
We have invested 20-40K each and every year into new gear and mics or instruments in order to keep people interested in coming back again and again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

We are still building the studio, and I have now recorded every piece of gear recommended in this thread. We came into this with our own list of gear we wanted but your suggestions have been great and we will be keeping an eye out for good deals on used gear! We're allowing ourselves more time to hunt for the right gear at the right price, and to not rush the project. As such, the studio will more likely be a 3-5 year project.

All the positive suggestions and opinions were greatly appreciated!

Those of you that encouraged this thread to descend into negativity and paranoia - I hope you can use this thread as a lesson to keep a smile on your face and an open mind in any situation. You will come off as far less bitter and angry with an open heart.

I am not being judgmental in any way but you did start the thread asking how you can get the sound of an album, Random Access Memories, on your budget.

I am an amateur music-maker but one time, as a photographer, I had the pleasure of being present when my friend's band recorded in SARM studios in London. It was clear to me that not in a million years I would be able to get that sound at home. I knew this from beforehand but this just made it clear- it's the room! I know you can get an amazing sound in small rooms but I also think for the very best sound you need a big studio.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We can (and do!) fine point gear, etc. But IMHO there as some real wisdom, when Massenburg said one way to go could simply be...

AT 40 series microphones/Apollo UA Plugs. Good monitors and headphones. Reasonably treated recording area.
IMHO good enough for serious demos/Pro Studio prep, and the occasional recording that might be release worthy.

Then maybe get a reel to reel, to experiment around with. (Maybe add a U87ai to attract outside business too)

Use the money saved, to record at a Pro Studio, when need be.

My "hero" regarding great home demos, is Pete Townshend BTW.
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

spend all 25k to hire a producer and a studio, write a catchy melody/hook hit song record a primo album.... make a few million bucks from this album, then .... spend 1/2 of your profits from hit record on building a real studio to avoid federal taxes and paying for bombs... now you can make a 100 albums!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Watch the engineer like a hawk. This is the real kick back so to speak by parking your $20k in recording time . Not only will u have a superior product but you will have the right to soak up every skill and trick you can glean in the time allotted . This is how learned . I am not alone I’m sure. Have a fantastic time. As Allen Parsons says... “I hope it sets the world alight!”
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
spend all 25k to hire a producer and a studio, write a catchy melody/hook hit song record a primo album.... make a few million bucks from this album, then .... spend 1/2 of your profits from hit record on building a real studio to avoid federal taxes and paying for bombs... now you can make a 100 albums!
LOL! Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
LOL! Chris

Don't you wish it was that easy? ;0)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search