The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tannoy Gold 8 300-Watt Bi-Amplified Nearfield Reference Monitor
Old 26th September 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
Tannoy Gold 8 300-Watt Bi-Amplified Nearfield Reference Monitor

Saw this on Instagram today. Does anyone have info? They look tasty.


https://www.tannoy.com/Categories/Ta...oogtrans(en|en)

Old 26th September 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
tymish's Avatar
 

Looks like Tannoy brought back their classic concentric monitors. They were a studio staple for a long time.

<eidt>

Tannoy now part of Music Tribe aka Behringer. Wow, they've really bought up so many of the classic names. Auratone, Tannoy, Klark Tekink, Midas etc Don't see them for sale anywhere yet. Guess we'll see if the quality is still up there or if it's another cheaper clone with the name on it.
Old 26th September 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
I loved the original gold series. An updated active version is very interesting.
Old 26th September 2019
  #4
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Any idea of cost?
Old 27th September 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
No I'm hoping someone here will chime in on price and release date.
Old 27th September 2019
  #6
Deleted e09cd8e
Guest
Holy ****! Could be awesome if it doesn’t have a null and Uli’s accountant doesn’t cheap out the power supplies or amps.
Old 27th September 2019
  #7
Here for the gear
 

MAP for the Tannoy Gold speakers are as follows.
Gold 5--- 250.00 USD each
Gold 7--- 315.00 USD each
Gold 8--- 385.00 USD each
Old 27th September 2019
  #8
Deleted e09cd8e
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinBaird View Post
MAP for the Tannoy Gold speakers are as follows.
Gold 5--- 250.00 USD each
Gold 7--- 315.00 USD each
Gold 8--- 385.00 USD each
So they’re In direct competition with the upcoming Kali IN-8 3 way but without class D treble. Very interesting.
Old 27th September 2019
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinBaird View Post
MAP for the Tannoy Gold speakers are as follows.
Gold 5--- 250.00 USD each
Gold 7--- 315.00 USD each
Gold 8--- 385.00 USD each
I was expecting much higher.
Old 27th September 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
O.F.F.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post

Tannoy now part of Music Tribe aka Behringer. Wow, they've really bought up so many of the classic names. Auratone, Tannoy, Klark Tekink, Midas etc Don't see them for sale anywhere yet. Guess we'll see if the quality is still up there or if it's another cheaper clone with the name on it.
I think you overshot the target there.
Auratone's website says 'family-owned for over 50 years' and I have no recollection of Behringer buying them.

The price for those Tannoys looks very, very reasonable btw.
Old 27th September 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
I think you overshot the target there.
Auratone's website says 'family-owned for over 50 years' and I have no recollection of Behringer buying them.

The price for those Tannoys looks very, very reasonable btw.
Many of the companies they have purchased maintain some autonomy to greater or lesser degrees. But yes, Auratone is owned by MTribe.

EDIT: corrected information below with details - I mistakenly assumed this to be the case due to the brand showing up on the list of brands on the MusicTribe website.

Last edited by Bstapper; 27th September 2019 at 05:29 PM..
Old 27th September 2019
  #12
Deleted e09cd8e
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Many of the companies they have purchased maintain some autonomy to greater or lesser degrees. But yes, Auratone is owned by MTribe.
There was a lawsuit about that. Behringer/Music tribe launched Auratone branded speakers and got sued. The real Auratones are still family owned and made in the USA.
Old 27th September 2019
  #13
Gear Addict
 
TexasCat's Avatar
 

These look awesome! I'll be first in line for them, I've been a Tannoy user for my entire recording career.
Old 27th September 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
tymish's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e09cd8e View Post
There was a lawsuit about that. Behringer/Music tribe launched Auratone branded speakers and got sued. The real Auratones are still family owned and made in the USA.
Hmm, ok I didn't know that story. Auratone still shows up on the Music Tribe brand page so it's confusing.

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/...page-id/Brands

Then there's the auratone audio website.

Anyhow, the price for the Tannoys is interesting. Makes me think they are very likely made in China. No way that price point would be possible considering what Tannoy concentrics used to cost. Still might be a great monitor. Time will tell. I'm interested.
Old 27th September 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinBaird View Post
MAP for the Tannoy Gold speakers are as follows.
Gold 5--- 250.00 USD each
Gold 7--- 315.00 USD each
Gold 8--- 385.00 USD each
Thanks Martin. That price point is a little surprising since the original gold 10's were something like 3k new without amplification.

I'm probably just being a gear snob but the price makes them feel like a prosumer product in line with offerings from Mackie, KRK, etc... I'm still interested though as there just arent that many dual concentric designs around these days.
Old 27th September 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 

wonder if they are using the Doug Sax cross-over design ?!?!
Old 27th September 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
O.F.F.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Many of the companies they have purchased maintain some autonomy to greater or lesser degrees. But yes, Auratone is owned by MTribe.
Is it me or did Behringer licence the Auratone name?

Post 39

Is Uli up to his old tricks again?
Old 27th September 2019
  #18
Deleted e09cd8e
Guest
These will probably overheat like the Behringer Genelec clones. 300W of class ab amps with no heat sinks.
Old 27th September 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
Is it me or did Behringer licence the Auratone name?

Post 39

Is Uli up to his old tricks again?
Thank you for the correction. I happened to be on the MusicTribe site yesterday looking at the list of brands and noticed Auratone on there and made the erroneous assumption.

Very interesting,
Brock
Old 27th September 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
wonder if they are using the Doug Sax cross-over design ?!?!
I was just listening to an album I worked on a few years back that Doug mastered. That guy was a wizard. The integrated loudness is like .5db less than your typical squashed commercial release but it sounds super dynamic and you never ever hear a compressor working.
Old 27th September 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
(...) That price point is a little surprising since the original gold 10's were something like 3k new without amplification.

I'm probably just being a gear snob but the price makes them feel like a prosumer product in line with offerings from Mackie, KRK, etc... I'm still interested though as there just arent that many dual concentric designs around these days.
no, you're no gear snob: that's what's happening with any brand which got bought by evil b...

the old gear gets closely analayzed and technology gets transferred/implemented into either cheapish behringer or some look-alikes resurface but none of the brands which got bought have come up with a genuine new design/development of any relevance. manufacturer 'support' for former pro-brands dropped to inexistent levels so it's all about selling more or less affordable gear with a brand image from the olden days...

i've seen this happening with a bit too many gear i have/had and therefore started selling it!

anyway, loooongtime tannoy user here! my main 7.1 setup still consists of seven system10dmt dual concentric speakers!
Old 27th September 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 
tymish's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
no, you're no gear snob: that's what's happening with any brand which got bought by evil b...

the old gear gets closely analayzed and technology gets transferred/implemented into either cheapish behringer or some look-alikes resurface but none of the brands which got bought have come up with a genuine new design/development of any relevance. manufacturer 'support' for former pro-brands dropped to inexistent levels so it's all about selling more or less affordable gear with a brand image from the olden days...

i've seen this happening with a bit too many gear i have/had and therefore started selling it!

anyway, loooongtime tannoy user here! my main 7.1 setup still consists of seven system10dmt dual concentric speakers!
I've been half looking for some Tannoy concentrics. If these neo_tannoys are any good I may get them. But I'm not holding my breath considering the new ownership.
Old 27th September 2019
  #23
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Its kind of stupid to have the input and HF trim on the front, but bass trim on the back. What a PITA.
Old 27th September 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
O.F.F.'s Avatar
 

They are trying to look traditional and vintage Tannoy DCs always had two part HF controls on the front. They even reverted back to the '60s logo.
Old 27th September 2019
  #25
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
They are trying to look traditional and vintage Tannoy DCs always had two part HF controls on the front. They even reverted back to the '60s logo.
Yeah, but its isn't an exact copy, and there's nothing wrong with a simple change that makes the end user's life simpler.
Old 27th September 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
O.F.F.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
wonder if they are using the Doug Sax cross-over design ?!?!
That would be beyond silly.
You can't use a crossover designed for 10" pepperpot DCs and expect them to function properly with 5, 7 or 8" tulip DCs.
Nothing good can come of it.
Old 27th September 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
O.F.F.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Yeah, but its isn't an exact copy, and there's nothing wrong with a simple change that makes the end user's life simpler.
Don't argue.

Marketing is always right these days.
Old 27th September 2019
  #28
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar

Sadly the marketing departments rule the roost.
Old 27th September 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Its kind of stupid to have the input and HF trim on the front, but bass trim on the back. What a PITA.
this (although understandable to some degree IF the different trims work in somewhat different ways)...

...what bugs me (but shows where they are aiming at) is that at least with the old ones, the 10", 12", 15" and dual 15" boxes sounded (and measured) better than the 8" and later 6.5" models - so where are the new large ones?

the old large ones also made more sense, considering the fact that rock music was still pretty big back then and pa systems did not yet use small woofers to a large degree:
the larger tannoys (besides tad/augspurger and jbl) imo were one of the few speakers which could get used to emulated what's happening when tracks got played through a pa and maybe more importantly, sounded more close to what musicians were used to hear from both their guitar cabs/stacks and pa's - talk about translation (but the other way 'round)!

(tannoy concentric speakers had additional advantages with the then (re-)emerging surround formats - where have they been hiding since ambeo/atmos/ambisonics became a thing?)

what's more is that evil b also owns lake and lab gruppen; while it's possible that some of their technology is built into these neo-bonsai-tannoy's, they are entirely lacking adjustable lake processing - how stupid!

so i fear it's gonna be more t-annoying than anything else...
Old 27th September 2019
  #30
Lives for gear
Interesting how that will go with coaxials.. Honestly their last release - those revamped Reveals sounded terrible to me, even among monitors in budget category.
I'm bit afraid of that, but curious at the same time. I was in studio, where its owner loves Tannoys, he has original 15" Monitor Golds, also there was 10" rebuilt to Manley boxes with Doug Sax ML crossovers. I can't say it was my favorite monitors ever, but it has definitely its strengths and can work very good, if you're used to it.
So puzzled about its re-release in this price category.. hmm.

Michal
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump