The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tannoy Gold 8 300-Watt Bi-Amplified Nearfield Reference Monitor
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i'm sitting in between 7 (seven) tannoy coax speakers and within the last 25 years or so, i got a pretty clear idea at what they are good (ability to locate a source within the stereo or surround soundfield due to their on-axis behaviour/well defined hf disperion) and at what they are not so good (all the rest)... :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i'm sitting in between 7 (seven) tannoy coax speakers and within the last 25 years or so, i got a pretty clear idea at what they are good (ability to locate a source within the stereo or surround soundfield due to their on-axis behaviour/well defined hf disperion) and at what they are not so good (all the rest)... :-)
No doubt about that and thank you for the valuable advice. However, and if i understand well, your speakers are quite different models from the one discussed here and maybe passive ?
i think that passive xovers could exacerbate some IMD issues due to overlap of the emissions from the LF and HF drivers.
Usually active xovers have a very steep slope like 24dB/octave and so a quite precise cut.
Speaking from a potential buyer's pov i would like to see some IMD tests together with the usual specs sheet.

Last edited by ginetto61; 4 weeks ago at 03:30 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
wrong again: we're talking horns here, not tweeters...
Yeah you are.. you are actually talking about tweeters. Horn tweeters are still tweeters. But nonetheless I do see your point now.. Where I've seen ranges so far above its typically in dome tweeters (the other and more popular kind of tweeter for monitors).

Anyways would be interesting to see some additional charting for these... I have no need for more monitors atm though
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Tannoy have quality specs on their website with clearly indicated measurement criteria; including polar plots. Unlike the Pioneers I was referencing above that are purposely misleading by omission in their fancifully stated frequency response.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

we're talking about a horn-loaded design here (as with any coax design) and the design of these new speakers looks very similar to older designs from tannoy.

[the models i'm using are system 10 dmt II 2-way speakers and i drive them actively/biamped, using lake controller and lake lm speaker processors/lab gruppen amps, so gear magnitudes above consumer level - with this 'little help from my friends', i could bump up their performance quite significantly]

don't get me wrong: i'm NOT trying to diss or belittle these new models - all i'm saying is that for the amount of money and from this design, do not expect them to perform above anything you ever experienced: what you can expect them to do though is to have typical behaviour of a coax/hornloaded design, something tannoy 'mastered' if not pioneered a loooong time ago.

add advancements in the material of magnets, efficient switching power amps and chances are you get a pretty little yet impressive speaker - have fun!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 06:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
we're talking about a horn-liaded design here (as with any coax design) and the design of these new speakers looks very similar to older designs from tannoy.

[the models i'm using are system 10 dmt II 2-way speakers and i drive them active/biamped, using lake controller and lake lm speaker processors/lab gruppen amps, so gear magnitudes above consumer level - with this 'little help from my friends', i could bump up their performance quite significantly]

don't get me wrong: i'm NOT trying to diss or belittle these new models - all i'm saying is that for the amount of money and from this design, do not expect them to perform above anything you ever experienced: what you can expect them to do though is to have typical behaviour of a coax/hornloaded design, something tannoy 'mastered' if not pioneered a loooong time ago.

ady advancements in material of magnets, efficient swirching power amps and chances are you get a prettly little yet impressive speaker - have fun!
Agree on all points in respect to the Tannoy - while highlighting your comment regarding the drivers. That experience alone should provide quite the phase coherent improvement over typical monitoring available in this price range.

My little personal PA uses a pair of Tannoy VXP 12 and I absolutely love the performance vs. size of those dudes.

Expectation here is that they will be worth the money. A concept that isn't too easy to find at this price point for the cranky and finicky like myself. Looking forward to checking them out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
what you can expect them to do though is to have typical behaviour of a coax/hornloaded design, something tannoy 'mastered' if not pioneered a loooong time ago.
Tannoy has been at it since 1947.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I only brought the rm-07 up as question..I have never used tannoy monitors. The rm-07 is my current monitor which I enjoy alot. If the gold 8 I ordered ever get to me and sound better I will part ways with the pioneer monitors.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrismaticOrb View Post
I only brought the rm-07 up as question..I have never used tannoy monitors. The rm-07 is my current monitor which I enjoy alot. If the gold 8 I ordered ever get to me and sound better I will part ways with the pioneer monitors.
Can you please do a detailed/in-depth review and comparison? Pretty please and thank you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Anyone here getting their 8s before April?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
We need more hands on impressions. I’m still not convinced about the Behringer QC.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've had the 5's for a couple of weeks now and I think they're really great. I can't compare them to any higher end monitors since I haven't owned any, but I would say they are the best of the bunch I currently own which is rokit rp6 g3, alesis monitor one mki and mkii, and jbl lsr308. The only 5 incher I've heard is the Yamaha HS5 and compared to that I think the golds just blows it right out of the water in every aspext. I also used to own the sceptre s6 a few years ago and the golds are pretty similar in how I remember those sounding, at least in the detail and stereo image aspect.

I can't really speak for the bass, my room is not very treated. But there is quite satisying bass that goes pretty low (lower than specified by Tannoy, i would say?) without being too much of it. It also feels pretty quick in the bass region and not laggish.

In my opinion the strongest part is the great stereo imaging you get and the well balanced, detailed overall sound, especially in the higher frequenzie spectrum. I think they do give a pretty honest picture of what's happening in a song, or in a mix. They really do.

I am no pro by any means but I consider myself audiophile enough to say these are good sounding speakers that compares favourably to most of the lower priced monitors out there. I recommend them wholeheartedly!
Attached Thumbnails
Tannoy Gold 8 300-Watt Bi-Amplified Nearfield Reference Monitor-20200210_162156.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Cheap as chips on Thomann, if unavailable as so much tribe stuff seems to be. Might get a 5 at some point to see what I think, second/third mono option/grot box. What's a good cheap sub to match?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

A new unpacking video with helpful comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzTTrT8RHOE

Regarding the 8s
Quote:
I already set them up and listened to different music genres. Compared to my previous monitors (with a 5 Inch woofer and a 1 Inch tweeter) the 8 Inch woofer with the integrated tweeter sounds incredibly balanced through out the whole frequency spectrum. The Tannoy Gold 8 does a great job in sounding very neutral in my opinion. I also didn't notice any ear fatigue even if working for a longer time. I am currently mixing a Rock song and I want to listen to it on different consumer systems to hear how the Tannoy Gold 8 translates. I will keep you updated.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Going by some other fora a lot of chinese made stuff is currently unavailable due to the coronavirus.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Tribe always have this unavailable thing, see klark clones, behringer synths etc
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Tribe always have this unavailable thing, see klark clones, behringer synths etc
Only if you look at the non/never existing but advertised stock from gear4music, UK's 1. site of the worst Music Gear sellers

"Tribe also have? this strong demand for their products thing"
Old 22 hours ago
Gear Nut
Getting my pair of the 8s tomorrow if I can trust the status update. I'll be able to compare them in my more or less decently acoustically treated room to NS10s. Pretty excited, especially since the NS10s aren't able to reproduce the thump of Kick drums, let alone bass/ 808s satisfactory which is kinda important when producing music.
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayaFFM View Post
Getting my pair of the 8s tomorrow if I can trust the status update. I'll be able to compare them in my more or less decently acoustically treated room to NS10s. Pretty excited, especially since the NS10s aren't able to reproduce the thump of Kick drums, let alone bass/ 808s satisfactory which is kinda important when producing music.
well, you need a sub for this: the tannoy's won't go very low either...
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, you need a sub for this: the tannoy's won't go very low either...
The Tannoy Gold 8 show -3dB at 54Hz. The NS10s are -3 around 80. That's a fair amount of low end extension. Won't be seat shaking but you'll hear the kick and bass better for sure.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
The Tannoy Gold 8 show -3dB at 54Hz. The NS10s are -3 around 80. That's a fair amount of low end extension. Won't be seat shaking but you'll hear the kick and bass better for sure.
i know - but no one knows whether specs are realistic or more on the euphemistic side. in my experience, all but the dual 15" tannoys are a bit bass-shy.

i happen to be surrounded by a bunch of dmt10's for some 30 years and got a pair of dmt12's in another room: they are far from being full-range and hence got augmented by a sub...
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
Sub bass isn’t that important to me since most 808s and bass have a lot of harmonics which are probably more important than the sub50 hz region to begin with. And I have neighbors too lol.

Pretty sure they’ll be a good pair of references: one for dry time based Mid range scrutiny and one for stereo detail and boom.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i know - but no one knows whether specs are realistic or more on the euphemistic side. in my experience, all but the dual 15" tannoys are a bit bass-shy.

i happen to be surrounded by a bunch of dmt10's for some 30 years and got a pair of dmt12's in another room: they are far from being full-range and hence got augmented by a sub...
What do you mean by "euphemistic"?

They won't be any more bass shy than the frequency plot indicates. Unless you are suggesting that somehow the frequency plot information is incorrect or somehow misleading.

And this isn't the first (and likely not the last) time that I have taken exception to your definition of "full range".
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
(...)They won't be any more bass shy than the frequency plot indicates. Unless you are suggesting that somehow the frequency plot information is incorrect or somehow misleading.
...which - as you know very well - happens quite often: measurements get smoothed and averaged and measurement setup and conditions mostly cannot get compared easily by non-experienced folks.

only a side-by-side comparison and measurements by a independent lab or engineer will reveal how far off the published specs are.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
...which - as you know very well - happens quite often: measurements get smoothed and averaged and measurement setup and conditions mostly cannot get compared easily by non-experienced folks.

only a side-by-side comparison and measurements by a independent lab or engineer will reveal how far off the published specs are.
Smoothing is not going to modify the frequency response as published (which is a much more informative plot than most provide, by the way. Very usable).

so unless you are expecting smoothing to cover up a 1hz hole or something I think it is save to assume that the published frequency plot is a fairly reliable indicator of its low frequency capability (and subsequent limitations).

The point remains - if the limitation of the speaker were to be 10db down at 50hz or 10db down at 60hz or 10db down at 80hz - it will not cease to be a "full-range" loudspeaker system.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Smoothing is not going to modify the frequency response as published (which is a much more informative plot than most provide, by the way. Very usable).

so unless you are expecting smoothing to cover up a 1hz hole or something I think it is save to assume that the published frequency plot is a fairly reliable indicator of its low frequency capability (and subsequent limitations).

The point remains - if the limitation of the speaker were to be 10db down at 50hz or 10db down at 60hz or 10db down at 80hz - it will not cease to be a "full-range" loudspeaker system.
...while i'm almost sure the -3dB points will not be as low as stated and i definitely do not agree with your take on 'full-range' if a speaker is missing out the lowest 1.5 octaves!

(nothing wrong with this small monitor not being 'full-range' - in fact, it can't with its design and dimensions)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search