The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need replacement USB input device for buggy Grace m905 driver
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Need replacement USB input device for buggy DAC driver

Solution: The Grace m905 driver worked fine. I finally noticed that ALL audio input devices failed to capture a signal. After researching, it appears that a Windows update changed how audio/"mic" access works in Windows 10. I went into audio settings and toggled "Allow apps to use microphones", and then all my lines appeared again. Windows issue.

The Grace m905 is a fantastic monitor controller, but I run into problems with the USB driver (on Windows): never as a "playback" device (always works), but as a recording input device (from the PC side). The manual states that the Windows USB Driver should monitor the "last selected digital input". I select S/PDIF on the m905 (a digital input source), hear beautiful music from Pro Tools (proving digital audio is flowing), but the USB Recording input device in Window's control panel is silent. I think the driver has bugs, either in Windows or Grace. It sometimes works -- sometimes doesn't. I need to stop wasting time with this so I am looking for a better solution (keeping the Grace of course for it's amazing monitoring abilities).

I need to have a USB input device in my Windows sound control panel that monitors my Pro Tools digital output so I can use that device as an audio input channel in OBS Studio (to combine video + audio). I need it to be as low latency as possible so the video (an HD capture card and webcams) line up with the audio.

1. Am I right that because this entire chain is digital audio, it would be virtually latency-free?

2. What is the best (or most clever) way to get an input device that monitors Pro Tool's digital SPDIF output into Windows?

3. Any device recommendations? Note the Grace does not have a TOSLink out, only a SPDIF out

I was thinking of buying an ordinary PCI-e sound card with a TOSLink input, and connecting the Grace's SPDIF out to the sound card's SPDIF input. Hopefully the sound card's USB driver would actually work, and I'd be able to monitor the sound card's digital input through OSB Studio. Some help, or a sanity check, would be great!

Code:
                                                                  +---------->  OBS Studio
                                                                  | USB Device
                                                                  +   Driver
Avid IO 8x8x8 +----> Grace m905 +---> An extremely basic soundcard
     SPDIF              SPDIF                     SPDIF

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search