The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
When to use a stereo compressor vs mono
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

When to use a stereo compressor vs mono

say i have a mono source that im going to put a stereo reverb or delay on, does that mean i need to use a stereo compressor? & if so, does it matter which order they are in the fx chain?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbynes View Post
say i have a mono source that im going to put a stereo reverb or delay on, does that mean i need to use a stereo compressor? & if so, does it matter which order they are in the fx chain?
The reason stereo compressors/limiters were developed is because compressors and limiters are devices that manipulate levels...

...And when the left and right channels have their levels manipulated separately (using two mono devices), it often causes what's called "platform shifting", which basically means that you can hear the balance between left and right shifting.

This can be pretty annoying (especially on the final stereo mix).

However, "rules are made to be broken", and sometimes a stereo source can be "enhanced" by using two mono compressors (one for left and one for right).

If you put a single mono compressor on a stereo source, you have to sum them to mono (so it ain't stereo anymore).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you have a compressor that can do stereo or dual-mono, you can experiment! Try using a mono channel of the compressor between the mono source and the reverb. Then try running the comp in stereo after the reverb. Then try it in dual-mono after the reverb.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
if so, does it matter which order they are in the fx chain?
It does matter.
If you compress after the reverb it will appear to extend the reverb tail.
Whereas , if you compress before the reverb , the reverb tail will be normal.
It will also be quieter ( lower noise floor) if you compress before the reverb/delay.

In that case you only need one channel of compression and that feeds the reverb/delay processor which has a stereo output.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanagan View Post

It DOES matter:

If you compress AFTER the reverb it will appear to extend the reverb tail.

Whereas , if you compress BEFORE the reverb , the reverb tail will be normal.

It will also be quieter (lower noise floor) if you compress before the reverb/delay.

In that case you only need one channel of compression, and that feeds the reverb/delay processor which has a stereo output.
[All emphasis mine]
This is all correct.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search