The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
500 series rack question...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

500 series rack question...

I just bought the Neve 542's and now I need to buy a rack. I see so many at different prices what are the differences between them?
Im thinking about buy the Neve rack for $800 but I see some that's only $200
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The differences are in basic build quality and noise, with many racks exhibiting deal breaker noise problems, usually with preamps and especially when those preamps are installed close to the power supply.

For a rack only I can recommend the Chameleon Labs 880, extremely high build quality and finish, and they give you four blanking plates, which is a very nice touch as those things have to be the most over priced items ever.

If you'd like something that goes above and beyond an ordinary rack then you should really look at the Cranborne Audio 500 ADAT.
You get a proper high end clock and summing mixer included for your money.

And I would warn you to stay away from the Lindell Audio rack at all costs.
I've never seen such a shoddy piece of craftsmanship passed off as commercial goods.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
The differences are in basic build quality and noise, with many racks exhibiting deal breaker noise problems, usually with preamps and especially when those preamps are installed close to the power supply.

For a rack only I can recommend the Chameleon Labs 880, extremely high build quality and finish, and they give you four blanking plates, which is a very nice touch as those things have to be the most over priced items ever.

If you'd like something that goes above and beyond an ordinary rack then you should really look at the Cranborne Audio 500 ADAT.
You get a proper high end clock and summing mixer included for your money.

And I would warn you to stay away from the Lindell Audio rack at all costs.
I've never seen such a shoddy piece of craftsmanship passed off as commercial goods.

Thanks bro Im going to go check out that Cranborne now
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I put my pair of Neve 542 into a 2-place Fredenstein rack from Sweetwater, works great and changes them into a nice piece of rack gear. Got this one for around $225 on sale.

I also own a pair of the Midas 10-position Legend racks, the 542 work well in these too. No noise problems with the 542 in these.

My first 500 rack is the API VPR 10-space rack, of coursed the 542 work well in these as well.

Good luck and good music to you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Many threads on this already. Please use search function.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
Many threads on this already. Please use search function.
I already did. Apparently I didn't find what I was looking for so I made this thread.

As for Quetz and Foldback who actually had something to add, thanks for the replies. Im going to buy the Cranborne. I like that it has the rack and the summing mixer all in one!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search