The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Potentially dumb question regarding connecting a compressor to a preamp...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Potentially dumb question regarding connecting a compressor to a preamp...

Hi guys. I was wondering something that maybe actually be pretty obvious.

If I want to connect a compressor in the chain after a preamp and before my interface BUT the preamp is connected using ADAT and doesn't seem to have inserts or outputs, how would I do that?

I would usually expect to go XLR into preamp, then XLR/TRS from preamp to compressor, then XLR/TRS to interface, however in this instance I guess I can't do that. I would have XLR into preamp and then preamp connected via ADA, so how do I insert a compressor (with only XLR/TRS in/out connections) into the chain?

Thanks in advance.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Hi guys. I was wondering something that maybe actually be pretty obvious.

If I want to connect a compressor in the chain after a preamp and before my interface BUT the preamp is connected using ADAT and doesn't seem to have inserts or outputs, how would I do that?

I would usually expect to go XLR into preamp, then XLR/TRS from preamp to compressor, then XLR/TRS to interface, however in this instance I guess I can't do that. I would have XLR into preamp and then preamp connected via ADA, so how do I insert a compressor (with only XLR/TRS in/out connections) into the chain?

Thanks in advance.
Make(s) and models?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Make(s) and models?
Sorry, the interface is a Focusrite Clarett 8prex.
The preamps will either be Focusrite ISA 828 or Audient ASP880.

Compressor some sort of 1176 for example.

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
The preamps will either be Focusrite ISA 828 or Audient ASP880.

Thanks!
Both units have inserts on DB 25 connectors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf isa-828-user-manual-english.pdf (1.80 MB, 5 views) File Type: pdf ASP880+Manual+(En).pdf (12.63 MB, 3 views)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
With a preamp that only has ADAT out, your compressor would live on an interface out and in, and you'd accomplish signal flow thru the comp using your interface DSP software.

The price of doing it this way is a trip out of digital to analog, and back.. what I call a D/A-A/D loop. I have a lot of outboard set up this way, and don't worry about it much. In fact, I've had two or thrre such loops stack on vox, many times.

The upside is re-routing options, without physical re-patching.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
With a preamp that only has ADAT out, your compressor would live on an interface out and in, and you'd accomplish signal flow thru the comp using your interface DSP software.

g.
Did you even read my post, much less look at the manuals? Both units have inserts. No conversion or flow through the DSP software.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
JayTee4303's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Did you even read my post, smuch less look at the manuals? Both units have inserts. No conversion or flow through the DSP software.
No, I didn't. OP said no inserts. In that case, DSP is the only way.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Thanks guys. I think in different ways, you've cleared it up for me.

I am also interested in the ADDA loop method because I suppose it would be more flexible, allowing me to add the comp during the mix, rather than while tracking. I don't suppose one ADDA loop is going to make any noticeable difference?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Just to clarify, I would need a DB25 to male xlr/trs and a BD25 to female xlr/trs and would just be able to connect things that way. Have I got that right? Thanks again.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Just to clarify, I would need a DB25 to male xlr/trs and a BD25 to female xlr/trs and would just be able to connect things that way. Have I got that right? Thanks again.
The 1176 uses xlrs so one DB25 to male xlr and one.DB25 to female xlr.

Enjoy!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
The 1176 uses xlrs so one DB25 to male xlr and one.DB25 to female xlr.

Enjoy!
Thanks a lot. Quite simple then. I was concerned about having to buy patch bays and things like that. After a bit more research though and your help I realized it's a simpler affair than I thought, so i guess it kinda was a dumb question!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Thanks a lot. Quite simple then. I was concerned about having to buy patch bays and things like that. After a bit more research though and your help I realized it's a simpler affair than I thought, so i guess it kinda was a dumb question!
You are welcome. Both preamps' manuals have drawings showing compressors hooked up to them.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
You are welcome. Both preamps' manuals have drawings showing compressors hooked up to them.
I guess I should've read through the manuals first!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Thanks guys. I think in different ways, you've cleared it up for me.

I am also interested in the ADDA loop method because I suppose it would be more flexible, allowing me to add the comp during the mix, rather than while tracking. I don't suppose one ADDA loop is going to make any noticeable difference?
This is true, but you might also find that using outboard during mixing will require dealing with latency, which can make hearing what you are doing troublesome.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
This is true, but you might also find that using outboard during mixing will require dealing with latency, which can make hearing what you are doing troublesome.
Ah, I see. That would be a problem I guess, but should that happen with a Clarett 8prex?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
You are welcome. Both preamps' manuals have drawings showing compressors hooked up to them.
Actually, I was wondering, would I be able to use something like this and connect to both the in and out of the hardware?



Or does it not work like that?

I was just hoping not to have to buy two snakes, one DB25 to XLR female and one DB25 to XLR male (which all seem to have 8 cables connected and are rather expensive), just for connecting one piece of hardware at a time...

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I don't fully understand the way DB25 works inside out.

OR if I must buy a DB25 snake, would it make any difference to just get a pair of DB25 to TRS snakes for in and out instead of XLR? They seem to work out cheaper and I can't see why that would make a difference if the hardware has both line and XLR ins/outs?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Sorry, it took me a moment to click. I just realized I would just need to use the DB25 to female / TRS into the compressor and then I could just use an XLR or TRS from the compressor into the interface. Is that right?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Number one I hope that things go as well as possible with your government. In my culture the biggest hugs are extended and I can hear the people sing.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Actually, I was wondering, would I be able to use something like this and connect to both the in and out of the hardware?



Or does it not work like that?

I was just hoping not to have to buy two snakes, one DB25 to XLR female and one DB25 to XLR male (which all seem to have 8 cables connected and are rather expensive), just for connecting one piece of hardware at a time...

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I don't fully understand the way DB25 works inside out.

OR if I must buy a DB25 snake, would it make any difference to just get a pair of DB25 to TRS snakes for in and out instead of XLR? They seem to work out cheaper and I can't see why that would make a difference if the hardware has both line and XLR ins/outs?
We are missing something. The outputs of both machines are on one DB25 and the inputs are on another.

The 1176 uses xlr interfaces. TRS has nothing to do with this.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Number one I hope that things go as well as possible with your government. In my culture the biggest hugs are extended and I can hear the people sing.
Thanks a lot. It's troublesome, but it seems to also be exaggerated online and in the media. I actually haven't encountered any trouble so far in all these months it's been going on. Only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
We are missing something. The outputs of both machines are on one DB25 and the inputs are on another.

The 1176 uses xlr interfaces. TRS has nothing to do with this.
Sorry. What I am wondering is, doesn't the DB25 to XLR go from the preamp to the compressor, but then the output of the compressor, being XLR, go into one of the interface inputs, not back to the preamp, right? So no need for a second DB25?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Sorry. What I am wondering is, doesn't the DB25 to XLR go from the preamp to the compressor, but then the output of the compressor, being XLR, go into one of the interface inputs, not back to the preamp, right? So no need for a second DB25?
The 880 will put out line level. I would use the 1/4" line input on the back of the Clarett 8PreX. The inputs on the front are instrument level. I don't know if those back line inputs are TRS or just TS (probably TRS), but you can get an XLR to 1/4" adapter, or a DB25 that terminates in 1/4" plugs.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Sorry. What I am wondering is, doesn't the DB25 to XLR go from the preamp to the compressor, but then the output of the compressor, being XLR, go into one of the interface inputs, not back to the preamp, right? So no need for a second DB25?
Did you read the manuals? The DB25s gove you an insert. That is what this thread started about. Why would you buy the AD catd on the ISA 828 if you are not going to use it. Around here (about 70 km west of Torpnto towards Detroit) DB25 cables are cheaper than equivalent TRS cables. Using the DB25 also enables the use of the insert switch on each channel. A good graphic is on documentt page 10 of the Audient manual.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Sorry, I missed some points. If some are still missing let me know.

Whether it is xlr or TRS on the other end depends on what the equipment uses. UAD 1176s have xlr connectors. The Klark Teknik version of the 1176 has both xlr and TRS.

DB25 connectors are connectors with 25 conductors. Whether input or output depends on the designers' choice.

I do not understand your concern about cablr price. Ypu are apparently debating between preamp ADs that are over $2,000 different in price. The cable is significantly less than that. If you feel that having the right way to do it is wrong then get all Behringer.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
konkon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Sorry, I missed some points. If some are still missing let me know.

Whether it is xlr or TRS on the other end depends on what the equipment uses. UAD 1176s have xlr connectors. The Klark Teknik version of the 1176 has both xlr and TRS.

DB25 connectors are connectors with 25 conductors. Whether input or output depends on the designers' choice.

I do not understand your concern about cablr price. Ypu are apparently debating between preamp ADs that are over $2,000 different in price. The cable is significantly less than that. If you feel that having the right way to do it is wrong then get all Behringer.
Sorry, I was just being dumb. I figured it all out now. My brain was just fried from trying to figure out a whole recording setup from scratch and not having any experience (my situation is weird, long story). Thanks for your patience!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump