The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
black rode nt1 vs ksm 44a.
Old 3 weeks ago
black rode nt1 vs ksm 44a.

Ive been listening to these 2 mics alot and i find they have a similar sound.

the km 44 sounds a bit more aggressive, and the nt1 sounds smoother and slightly thinner.

anyone with both of these mics care to chime in?
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
230 views and no reply
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I dont have the new nt1, but I do have the old silver one, as well as a pair of ksm44s. The ksm44s really shine over the nt1 based on it's different polar patterns (omni, cardiod, and figure 8), whereas the nt1 is just cardiod.

The ksm44s are a bit smoother to my ears, and record many sources well. The nt1 is much more aggressive sounding to my ears, and you may have trouble recording some sources with it based on how trebly it can sound.

If I had to buy again, I would skip the nt1, it rarely gets used these days.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrock View Post
I dont have the new nt1, but I do have the old silver one, as well as a pair of ksm44s. The ksm44s really shine over the nt1 based on it's different polar patterns (omni, cardiod, and figure 8), whereas the nt1 is just cardiod.

The ksm44s are a bit smoother to my ears, and record many sources well. The nt1 is much more aggressive sounding to my ears, and you may have trouble recording some sources with it based on how trebly it can sound.

If I had to buy again, I would skip the nt1, it rarely gets used these days.
The new nt1 is all im asking about. It sounds smoother and a little thinner than the ksm 44 in my listening. It seems not many have heard both enough as this thread has near 500 views and 1 reply.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I have the black NT1 and the Shure KSM42, which is basically a cardioid-only low-proximity-effect version of the KSM44A. They're both good mics. The KSM42 is definitely noticeably brighter than the NT1. I'm not sure exactly how to describe this, but I find that the KSM42 sound has more 'texture' to it and is more interesting to listen to. I find myself not using the NT1 that much anymore because it's smooth almost to the point of being boring. But there are certain instances where that's exactly what you want.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon2004 View Post
I have the black NT1 and the Shure KSM42, which is basically a cardioid-only low-proximity-effect version of the KSM44A. They're both good mics. The KSM42 is definitely noticeably brighter than the NT1. I'm not sure exactly how to describe this, but I find that the KSM42 sound has more 'texture' to it and is more interesting to listen to. I find myself not using the NT1 that much anymore because it's smooth almost to the point of being boring. But there are certain instances where that's exactly what you want.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. Ill probably get a ksm 44a one day. Till then ill use my smooth nt1 and my at 4050.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search