The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tc M3000 and Reverb 4000
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tc M3000 and Reverb 4000

Anyone have both the M3000 and the Reverb 4000 and decided to keep BOTH units? There is algo overlap with VSS3 but with dual engine and hundreds more presets, is it worth keeping both if you have both?

Devon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have had 2 3000s since 2002. There are certain things I can do with them that I couldn't do with the 4000.
With that said I did love some of the patches and the true stereo of the 4000.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Have had 2 3000s since 2002. There are certain things I can do with them that I couldn't do with the 4000.
With that said I did love some of the patches and the true stereo of the 4000.
That's cool. Can you give me an example what you did on the 3000's that you liked that you couldn't do on the 4000?

Devon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There are a few algos that I couldn't find on the 4000 for the room prog I put together that is a big part of my thing. I have 2 3000s and run one in dual mono which I don't remember being able to do on the 4000. Also The pitch detune prog I have modified for leads and ryth gits is magic and I don't remember it being in the 4000. I can run that on engine 1 and a mono sn rev on engine 2.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone else? Hard time believing only one person on here has had both. ?

Devon
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've not used the 4000 but pretty happy with the 3000 and my Lex 300 as my main FX units. That said, I'm keeping my eyes out for a 4000 but haven't snagged one yet.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

they are good at different things... - however, i'd never want to use efx devices just from one manufacturer! my choice of a specific model depends on the other gear.

(if you've got a bunch of mediocre efx but want a nice stereo main engine, the r4k probably is the better choice - if you have all glorious quantec, lex and eventide efx already, an m3k may be just the thing you're looking for)

4 engine m5000 here, no need for single engine r4000 - live, i'm mostly using the m2000 (which i prefer a bit over the m3000) but of course any of the 2k to 6k devices do fine, both live and in the studio!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have both (plus a M-One)... and will keep them all for as long as they work
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
I have both (plus a M-One)... and will keep them all for as long as they work
And why do you feel that way on keeping both? That's what I'm looking for. Justification, for me. What was your justification?

Devon
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
they are good at different things... - however, i'd never want to use efx devices just from one manufacturer! my choice of a specific model depends on the other gear.

(if you've got a bunch of mediocre efx but want a nice stereo main engine, the r4k probably is the better choice - if you have all glorious quantec, lex and eventide efx already, an m3k may be just the thing you're looking for)

4 engine m5000 here, no need for single engine r4000 - live, i'm mostly using the m2000 (which i prefer a bit over the m3000) but of course any of the 2k to 6k devices do fine, both live and in the studio!
Why do you prefer the M2000 over the M3000? Certainly the R4000 and M3000 have mostly different effects algos, but the VSS 3 algo and preset overlap is apparent.

Ambiator R4000
CORE M3000
DVR-2 R4000
NonLin-2 R4000
REV3 M3000
Reverb-4 R4000
VSS 3 M3000
VSS 3 R4000

VSS 4 R4000
VSS FP M3000
VSS Gate M3000
VSS SR M3000
VSS4-TS R4000

Devon
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonB View Post
Why do you prefer the M2000 over the M3000? Certainly the R4000 and M3000 have mostly different effects algos, but the VSS 3 algo and preset overlap is apparent.

Ambiator R4000
CORE M3000
DVR-2 R4000
NonLin-2 R4000
REV3 M3000
Reverb-4 R4000
VSS 3 M3000
VSS 3 R4000

VSS 4 R4000
VSS FP M3000
VSS Gate M3000
VSS SR M3000
VSS4-TS R4000

Devon
my preference stems from the way i'm using tc efx and a somewhat different requirement when mixing live thsn in the studio: i don't like efx to be heard as such and hence i'm mostly using tc efx (which i consider to sound 'transparent' by comparsion to lexicon, eventide and yamaha) on large room/hall settings.
when recording desk mixes (without going through a dedicated matrix), mixes tend to have a bit much efx: to counterbalance this, i prefer using the m2k which imo has a bit more 'grit' than m3k (and certainly more than the r4k) and i get away with both a reasonable efx in the pa and a bit a less blurred/airy image in the desk mix...
(when i'm using a quantec for large rooms, the tc get used on a early reflection setting - for this, i don't care much which efx device i'm using)

p.s. regarding the overlap between m3k and m4k: i'm no software engineer so i can't tell from a designer's point of view but i'm a bit sceptical that running the same algorithms on different hardware yields identical results...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search