The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
summing summing summing.....
Old 4 weeks ago
summing summing summing.....

hey! fellow Slutz!!!
so I finally have a nice amount of budget to make my home studio
and im trying not to F up this budget...
I'm currently thinking to get on
orion 32 converter (32ch in&out)
with Madi and a
api 2500 or api 529 (500 series version of 2500) with 500 series
ssl stereo eq, ssl stereo comp (not the Gbus), api preamp ect... and a
thermionic culture kite....
so I was thinking would SSL XDESK or DANGEROUS 2bus be a benefit?
since I'll be mixing with analog EQ & comps with a good 32ch ad/da (32ch in/out)
converter wouldnt that be the same as analog summing in concept??
because for my budget its either bunch of analog eq/comps...
or summing.... or I could try to do less of EQ & comps with summing
and before you guys start to bash my skull with which thread that I've should of checked out... I did but no one is actually speaking about this concept
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My advice would be to go bit by bit with your gear, add as you see fit to fix what is holding you back.

If you have a nice room, nice monitors and nice conversion (and a comfy chair) start doing some work. If your mixes turn out nice, you're done! You can spend the rest of your money on mics or whiskey as you require.

Alternatively, if you feel something is lacking, then start adding or even just making adjustments to what you have.

Tons of great mixes are happening right now around the globe without analog summing involved but some people like it.
Old 4 weeks ago
As a former summing owner (Neve) I don't miss it one bit. Some mixes don't need / benefit from it, and for those that do, you can do similar things ITB with some multiband saturation and imaging/depth/widening plugins such as DrMS.

Save your time and money and avoid the routing hassles.

Spending money on acoustic treatment, great microphones, and great backline instruments will be your most cost effective ways to get the best result. I'd start there before spending a lot on analog outboard.
Old 4 weeks ago
That seems like a lot of gear to buy at once. Do you have experience with some of these?
Might be worth starting with a minimal setup, really getting to know it and then picking up additional pieces as you need them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
My advice would be to go bit by bit with your gear, add as you see fit to fix what is holding you back.

If you have a nice room, nice monitors and nice conversion (and a comfy chair) start doing some work. If your mixes turn out nice, you're done! You can spend the rest of your money on mics or whiskey as you require.

Alternatively, if you feel something is lacking, then start adding or even just making adjustments to what you have.

Tons of great mixes are happening right now around the globe without analog summing involved but some people like it.
This.

That much new gear all at once is going to lead to paralysis.
Old 4 weeks ago
moving out of ITB into hybrid I purchased an SPL Mixdream XP summing, Aurora 8 (legacy) and Drawmer 1973 all at once. I used to use tons of plugins on my channels, today I use only EQ and very seldom something else. Because the chain is so serious sounding, it gets me there easily just by pulling faders into the right range.

about the summing unit: Its more the sound of the mixdream circuit itself, that adds the serious grit, which a plugin cannot do. Sometimes I can hear the difference of summing, but in most cases not. When I hear it, it makes some elements more "hoovering" in relation to each other, which results in better details, which would otherwise masked. But its super subtile. What I learned was, that you cannot judge gear only by its function. An active summing unit will defenitly add some tone to your signal chain, as like any others outboard. I personally will never sell my SPL XP because i like this tone. I am sure the dangerous sounds like a dream and I am sure the SSL will blow you away. Its not only the summing.

The other big factor is commitment. You will be able to add channel-outboard to your channels very easily with a summing unit. For example your mono kickdrum channel will allways have a dedicated EQ/comp. the summer in that case works as a mixer with a fixed routing config (when not using patchbay). This is very good for workflow, and having a good and commited workflow is more important as having too many choices.

Anyway as said Room Accustics/Monitors/Converters is the fundamental core above anything else.

Edit: Dont forget you need a monitor-controller and decent cables/snakes aswell. easy to overlook, but you gonna need it. And forget youtube videos that compare summing units. You need to work with them in your room to really evaluate.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Im also in the process of converting my ITB studio to a hybrid studio....

Right now Im at the point at either buying a summing box (Neve 5059) or either of these two (Neve MBP or the SSL Fusion.)

I heard the Neve 5059 combined with the Neve 5060 and it sounded amazing!!!
The bass hit so hard and wasn't muddy it just had the perfect sound. The SSl is cool but doesn't "THUMP" like that Neve combo...

Right now my budget is $4500 so Im trying to decide on either one of those 3 or just going with a analog EQ and compressor on my 2 bus maybe a Dangerous Bas EQ along with the Drawmer 1973 for multi band compression
Old 2 weeks ago
sorry for the very late reply I was sick and I was hospitalized
bad food almost killed me....
thanks for every reply guys!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My move out of the box has taken several paths but ended up currently with a 24 channel Crest mixer for summing (depth and width) with the master buss insert option of either Neve type (pair of 1073s into a Portico 5043) or alternatively an SSL type ( CL1A) output back to Protools. Sometimes I mix these. All other comps and EQ are hardware options hanging off the 8 groups on the Crest.

I think your setup would be fine. With that many channels you could set aside some of the ADDA for direct outs to hardware eliminating patchbay outputs. The more you can do to move away from excessive patchbay action, the lower your cost. I went down the put everything on the patchbay and it's a fortune in wiring.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I do have an own a capi sumbus , and while I love it I will say summing isn’t the giant step in a mix.
Like the others said I would work on getting everything else right and working first .
Summing to me is like having a great ice cream Sunday then adding a cherry on top . Not necessary but just a little better lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search