The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New ribbon mic for guitar/drums
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

New ribbon mic for guitar/drums

Hey guys!

I´m planning to get a new ribbon to pair with a sm57 on guitars and to use it on drum recordings, 3/4 feet away from the kit to get more shells roomy sound and kick bump.

I´ve been hearing demos from the royer r10 and beyerdynamic m130.

The royer seems like it sounds very good on its own for guitars, i dont know how good it blends with an sm57, and i found on the demos that is a lil bit more brighter than the r121 (which i dont have to budget to get one), and i dont know how good is for drums room.

The m130 seems more darker, and with that i think it will fit better the purpose.

What do you guys think ? Any better alternatives in this price range ?

Notes: I use the mics straight into a focusrite 18i20, and i record mainly rock/metal. I´m from europe, so USA custom mics cost me a fortune hehe.

Cheers!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Check out Stager SR-2N
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andregoncalves View Post
Hey guys!

I´m planning to get a new ribbon to pair with a sm57 on guitars and to use it on drum recordings, 3/4 feet away from the kit to get more shells roomy sound and kick bump.

The royer seems like it sounds very good on its own for guitars, i dont know how good it blends with an sm57, and i found on the demos that is a lil bit more brighter than the r121 (which i dont have to budget to get one), and i dont know how good is for drums room.

The m130 seems more darker, and with that i think it will fit better the purpose.

Notes: I use the mics straight into a focusrite 18i20, and i record mainly rock/metal.

Cheers!
I have an R10 and have paired it with a 57 on a tube amp with excellent results; I've also used it on drums (using it as the shoulder mic in a Recorderman configuration with an M160 on the snare over mic right now and it sounds great).

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

maybe investigate the nohype LRM-V?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andregoncalves View Post
Hey guys!

Notes: I use the mics straight into a focusrite 18i20, and i record mainly rock/metal. I´m from europe, so USA custom mics cost me a fortune hehe.

Cheers!
Check out the tbone rb500.. Fantastic ribbon mics for gtr cabs.. It complements a 57 very well. It's quite fat sound, round with a "natural" topend (some ppl would say rolled off). Incredibly inexpensive.It works as drum room mic as well..
Although I might prefer an AEA R88mk2 in that position (fantastic mic on just avery source I could think of.. honestly). The R88 is highly reccomended..will be wonderful on gtr cabs too, OH, drum room.. YOU name it.. of course it's not so inexpensive, but for a stereo mic is totally reasonable.

There are others ribbons that matches well with a 57.. I'm not so a royer guy honestly, but the 121 is a standard.. I like other stuff.. Like a coles 4038 or an AEA R84.. Or an old B&O BM5 (or the mono version of it.. I believe it's the BM3).

The beyer ribbons have a different sound.. I like them on gtr cabs if I'm looking for a certain punchy sound.. It's the third mic on the cab I always put on when I track el gtrs.. along with a 4th mic which is my vintage U87 on omni (or fig8, depending on the room/amp).

90% of the time I go for a blend of the 57/RB500, some other is the beyer with the ribbon.. The U87 (or just about any condenser will do) is there if I want a certain room-ish sound to send to the slap delay or reverb.. To add that kind of feeling..
I usually decide while tracking the song which tracks will end up on the mix (and in any case there's always at least 2).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Cascade Mics are awesome as well. I would definitely look into them
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks guys! I got the royer r10 and the tbone rb500.

I´ll use them on my next band recording next week and leave my thoughts about them.
Old 1 week ago
Big fan of the AEA R84 here. Not a big Beyer ribbon fan myself actually. I had a vintage M260 for a little while but I was never fully satisfied with the sound... I guess it was nice and natural but not as exciting as the R84.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search