The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Survey of larger studios needed
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

Survey of larger studios needed

I'm looking for (or looking to create) a list of studios (worldwide) that have the following properties:

Live room >= 1000 sq ft (100 sq m)
RFZ control room (which requires at least 400 sq ft (40 sq m))
At least one ISO booth >= 300 sq ft (30 sq m)

There's lots of other interesting information I'd like to collect, including ceiling height, console type, monitors, etc., but the main thing I'll looking to collect are Studio Name, URL, date built/rebuilt, geographic location, room descriptions and dimensions, and total facility sq footage (sq meterage).

It appears that one starting place is the Class Of 200x lists of Mix Magazine, but I've found it quite tedious (and uncertain) to derive that information by hand as many studios listed are either private, do not publish that information, or appear to be defunct. If anybody has a good pointer as to where to look, I'd appreciate. Otherwise, I'll be putting this together myself, and probably posting it to a shared resource like Wikipedia (unless somebody has a better idea).
Old 16th June 2007
Lives for gear

Anybody?

Bump.
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear

Initial results--any corrections?

Here are over 100 studios I found with live rooms larger than 500 sq ft. If you have any corrections, please let me know! It's a tab-separated text file (suitable for import into your favorite spreadsheet).
Attached Files
File Type: txt survey.txt (10.1 KB, 385 views)
Old 4th July 2007
Lives for gear
1. Why do you want to know? Uni project? Website?

2. There are all sorts of lists (Larkins List and Pro Sound News spring to mind) so you'll just have to trawl through them all! No short cut, as far as I know!

3. Just the size of the room does not make for a key or prestige studio. Some are far smaller, yet have a very high profile, others are far larger, but are still really demo rooms. Desk? Piano? Location? Engineer?
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
1. Why do you want to know? Uni project? Website?

2. There are all sorts of lists (Larkins List and Pro Sound News spring to mind) so you'll just have to trawl through them all! No short cut, as far as I know!

3. Just the size of the room does not make for a key or prestige studio. Some are far smaller, yet have a very high profile, others are far larger, but are still really demo rooms. Desk? Piano? Location? Engineer?
I want to know because I'm interested. I know that there's a lot more that goes into a studio's prestige than just "how big is it?". And I know that sometimes a room can be too large to achieve a certain sound. My interest is in knowing how many studios have larger rooms, and what their dimensions are. If anybody has corrections or additions to the list I posted, I'd appreciate receiving them.
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

For what it's worth, many studios that have larger rooms often make those larger rooms "smaller" using gobos or other portable sound-treament techniques depending on their needs, so their actual "dimensions" are changing from session to session...Still not sure where you're going with this, so...
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Uhh.. those are some REALLY big rooms you're asking for there. I know of several top notch studios that might come up a few square feet short. Places that have made countless top albums.

RCA's Studio B in Nashville doesn't even have an iso booth if I remember right. And I don't think the control room is 400sq feet either.

Emerald has that much combined ISO space, but no since iso room is 30x10 feet.

Etc...
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
...many studios listed are either private, do not publish that information, or appear to be defunct...
Even if you do find (or create) such a list, I hate to say it, but by this time next year it's distinctly likely that significant chunks of it will be out of date. It's sad but that's the reality.
Old 5th July 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
Even if you do find (or create) such a list, I hatye to say it, but by this time next year it's distinctly likely that significant chunks of it will be out of date. It's sad but that's the reality.
That's OK with me. I'm just looking for objective facts.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I'm looking for (or looking to create) a list of studios (worldwide) that have the following properties:

Live room >= 1000 sq ft (100 sq m)
RFZ control room (which requires at least 400 sq ft (40 sq m))
At least one ISO booth >= 300 sq ft (30 sq m)

There's lots of other interesting information I'd like to collect, including ceiling height, console type, monitors, etc., but the main thing I'll looking to collect are Studio Name, URL, date built/rebuilt, geographic location, room descriptions and dimensions, and total facility sq footage (sq meterage).

It appears that one starting place is the Class Of 200x lists of Mix Magazine, but I've found it quite tedious (and uncertain) to derive that information by hand as many studios listed are either private, do not publish that information, or appear to be defunct. If anybody has a good pointer as to where to look, I'd appreciate. Otherwise, I'll be putting this together myself, and probably posting it to a shared resource like Wikipedia (unless somebody has a better idea).
My control room is 19' X 23' (>400 sq. feet), our main tracking room is just shy of 700 sq. ft., and our shooting stage (with AV tielines to the control room) is 35' X65'.
Check outh the website for more stats.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
My control room is 19' X 23' (>400 sq. feet), our main tracking room is just shy of 700 sq. ft., and our shooting stage (with AV tielines to the control room) is 35' X65'.
Nice place! Mine will be smaller, but very similar goals for down here in North Carolina.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
Joe, I'm curious how your room came to be- was it a purpose designed place for Music/post , with the soundstage included? Or did you add the soundstage etc...

I'm wondering how many of these kinda of dual purpose shops there are--

Did you start in music, and branch out to post/ vid production?

The shop I'm working out of is similar in build to yours, and has just acquired a wharehouse space that will be tielined to the studio, and is suitable ( i think) for filming...

can you elaborate on what you guys do,and how you got there?

cz
Old 17th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Our control rooms are 26' x 28' (about 700 sq ft)
the live studio is about 1200 sq ft,
but the booths are not quite 300 sq ft (120,215, 230)
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Now past 250 studios

I've now collected 250+ studios that mostly fit the profile of large tracking rooms, large control rooms, and a large booth or two. I had to bend the rules a bit to include the Mix Magazine Class of 200X rooms, and studios that won TEC awards (size isn't everything!) and I also included a few truly small ones just for contrast.

If folks are interested, I could re-post the survey info. If not, I'll keep my head down...
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizz View Post
Our control rooms are 26' x 28' (about 700 sq ft)
the live studio is about 1200 sq ft,
but the booths are not quite 300 sq ft (120,215, 230)

Steve
Doppler Studios
Clicked on your link....Wow. That's a huge building!
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search