The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Peluso 414 vs AKG 414 XLS
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Peluso 414 vs AKG 414 XLS

Hey anyone have experience with the Peluso 414, and the new AKG 414 XLS version? Thinking of getting one or the other and wondering if the extra €200 for the Peluso is worth it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I hate the new AKG 414. I would frankly be surprised if the Peluso wasn’t markedly better.

The recent story of AKG just saddens me. I don’t want anything to do with their stuff now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Guys... Austrian Audio OC818. The new proper AKG 414 made by the actual 414 Viennese team. We have one - it's incredible.

The Peluso "414" has no link to AKG in any way that I know of.

And yes, very sad what has happened to most of the Harman brands. But many of us (Cranborne, Austrian, etc) are rising from the ashes and now doing much cooler and very proper things
Old 4 weeks ago
Lud
Gear Addict

The oc818 looks amazing!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

After looking up the Austrian Audio mics and looking at the price I don't know why anyone would ever buy a new 414.

If I were on a budget and wanted a 414-style mic I'd get one of the sE T2 mics instead.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise View Post
Guys... Austrian Audio OC818. The new proper AKG 414 made by the actual 414 Viennese team. We have one - it's incredible.

The Peluso "414" has no link to AKG in any way that I know of.

And yes, very sad what has happened to most of the Harman brands. But many of us (Cranborne, Austrian, etc) are rising from the ashes and now doing much cooler and very proper things
never heard of them before but what they are doing looks really impressive! Thanks for sharing
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebleed View Post
never heard of them before but what they are doing looks really impressive! Thanks for sharing
Yes, I agree with everything that Karpmentalise said.

Get an Austrian Audio OC818 or OC18 if you need the cardioid pattern only. Stellar product, made entirely in Vienna by the real AKG team/knowhow.

no beancounters from Harman or Samsung there, nor cheap capsules.
top product!

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Yes, I agree with everything that Karpmentalise said.

Get an Austrian Audio OC818 or OC18 if you need the cardioid pattern only. Stellar product, made entirely in Vienna by the real AKG team/knowhow.

no beancounters from Harman or Samsung there, nor cheap capsules.
top product!

Cheu
Hey cheu!

You've been following us since we launched. When are you getting some Camden 500s or a 500R8/500ADAT Cheu?! I want to hear what you think!!! We are very much like Austrian Audio in that we do things the right way and got free of our Harman shackles
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My opinions as an owner of 414s (always new)since 1973 or so-

1. The old versions do not have rare mojo. What they did have was typically a few routes through consoles and tape....which monkeys with all mics. My old 414s were great. My new 414s are great.

2. All the guys who hate newer 414s.....I can't relate to them at all. They also fail to describe anything regarding why YOU should hate them soundwise and most importantly....why these guys can't seem to make a new 414 work in a mix. At any rate, I can't relate to these guys.

3. That's nice that some of the mid 1980s akg guys have a spin-off mic. I won't be buying one. A lot of the oc818 pr is geared to inflate dreams of older 414 designs. But....as I said in point #1 .....

4. I think the current xls models are great. I own several. They sound great on daw or tape tracks.....they sound great when I a/b stuff against 414 multitrack tracks of mine from 1974...that used my 1973 414s.

5. I do not care....at all...about conversations regarding capsule diiferences over the years...the housing...the ics......yawn....don't care to hear from guys who think there's mojo/longevity in those conversations.

6. If you (op) do decide on a current xls, street price is about 700....realistically. And common Black Friday pricing is $600....and Black Friday is around 8 weeks from now.

These 414 discussions come up often. Tracks recorded with my newer 414s sound just about the same as tracks recorded with my old 414s. When I connect an xls, I pretty much know what I'm gonna get. Just like forty-some years ago.

I don't need a clone or an old design replica. Especially at higher prices. I'm very content with all my 414s.

Now, as to peluso...their 67 had me intrigued for a long time. Nice sound and I almost bought a couple. But once Neumann told me in 2014 that a u67 was in the works....well.

Last edited by thenoodle; 4 weeks ago at 08:16 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post

1. The old versions do not have rare mojo. What they did have was typically a few routes through consoles and tape....which monkeys with all mics. My old 414s were great. My new 414s are great.

2. All the guys who hate newer 414s.....I can't relate to them at all. They also fail to describe anything regarding why YOU should hate them soundwise and most importantly....why these guys can't seem to make a new 414 work in a mix. At any rate, I can't relate to these guys.

3. That's nice that some of the mid 1980s akg guys have a spin-off mic. I won't be buying one. A lot of the oc818 pr is geared to inflate dreams of older 414 designs. But....as I said in point #1 .....

4. I think the current xls models are great. I own several. They sound great on daw or tape tracks.....they sound great when I a/b stuff against 414 multitrack tracks of mine from 1974...that used my 1973 414s.

5. I do not care....at all...about conversations regarding capsule diiferences over the years...the housing...the ics......yawn....don't care to hear from guys who think there's mojo/longevity in those conversations.

6. If you (op) do decide on a current xls, street price is about 700....realistically. And common Black Friday pricing is $600....and Black Friday is around 8 weeks from now.

These 414 discussions come up often. Tracks recorded with my newer 414s sound just about the same as tracks recorded with my old 414s. When I connect an xls, I pretty much know what I'm gonna get. Just like forty-some years ago.

I don't need a clone or an old design replica. Especially at higher prices. I'm very content with all my 414s.

Now, as to peluso...their 67 had me intrigued for a long time. Nice sound and I almost bought a couple. But once Neumann told me in 2014 that a u67 was in the works....well.
would love to hear some samples of your new XLS recordings for reference!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post

This ^^^

It's just cool on GS to hate on any 414 post 1979. Reality is they are quality workhorse microphones that I've always found myself using on plenty of sessions.

My experience of the earlier versions always felt like using a different microphone with different uses, so the comparison has always seemed silly and makes it hard to take people seriously when they should be aware that whilst apple & oranges are both fruit, they aren't the same & suited to different things.

Modern 414's are listened to by millions of people daily, no one complains about the sound, vintage fetishism isn't as cool or as relevant as GS thinks it is!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
After looking up the Austrian Audio mics and looking at the price I don't know why anyone would ever buy a new 414.

If I were on a budget and wanted a 414-style mic I'd get one of the sE T2 mics instead.
T2s are wonderful mics.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
This ^^^

It's just cool on GS to hate on any 414 post 1979. Reality is they are quality workhorse microphones that I've always found myself using on plenty of sessions.

My experience of the earlier versions always felt like using a different microphone with different uses, so the comparison has always seemed silly and makes it hard to take people seriously when they should be aware that whilst apple & oranges are both fruit, they aren't the same & suited to different things.

Modern 414's are listened to by millions of people daily, no one complains about the sound, vintage fetishism isn't as cool or as relevant as GS thinks it is!
I have to respectfully disagree with this.
In my experience, the new 414 are an inferior product (due to design choices made for cost savings reasons), compared to some older models.
A lot of IC's in the signal path vs none of the old ones..

It's not about the "vintage" allure.. it's about the sound.. Somehow they don't sound as good as the old ones.. They do have a harshness/hardness that the old ones don't have. This is immediately clear when put them on a nice grand piano or even on OH.

My gripe with it is that a (once) a top tier mic manufacturer decided to cheapen one of its best selling items because of the profit.. To the point of changing its charactheristics.

Then there's the fact that the company who owned the brand dumped all of its employees, of course to have more margin.. this has nothing to do with the sound of course, but it's a behaviour that I deploy, therefore I try to not support these brands with my money.

Maybe this is not so surprising afterall, looking at what the human being is doing for profit in the last 20 years (and more) is much worse in the amazonas..for exemple..
But this is a different story..and compared to that, the change I hear in the 414 is of course irrelevant.

-Can I make a "new" 414 work in a mix?
Hell yeah.
-Do I want to use it?
of course not, there are better alternatives that will give me the desired results from the get go.

If you don't hear a difference, I'd double check your monitoring chain or acoustics..

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with this.
In my experience, the new 414 are an inferior product (due to design choices made for cost savings reasons), compared to some older models.
A lot of IC's in the signal path vs none of the old ones..

It's not about the "vintage" allure.. it's about the sound.. Somehow they don't sound as good as the old ones.. They do have a harshness/hardness that the old ones don't have. This is immediately clear when put them on a nice grand piano or even on OH.

My gripe with it is that a (once) a top tier mic manufacturer decided to cheapen one of its best selling items because of the profit.. To the point of changing its charactheristics.

Then there's the fact that the company who owned the brand dumped all of its employees, of course to have more margin.. this has nothing to do with the sound of course, but it's a behaviour that I deploy, therefore I try to not support these brands with my money.

Maybe this is not so surprising afterall, looking at what the human being is doing for profit in the last 20 years (and more) is much worse in the amazonas..for exemple..
But this is a different story..and compared to that, the change I hear in the 414 is of course irrelevant.

-Can I make a "new" 414 work in a mix?
Hell yeah.
-Do I want to use it?
of course not, there are better alternatives that will give me the desired results from the get go.

If you don't hear a difference, I'd double check your monitoring chain or acoustics..

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
They just sound different (I found the brass capsule to be brighter and not always ideal, the relatively neutral sound of later models makes them ideal workhorses). Whether they work for whatever you're trying to do is up to you at the end of the day, but the constant repetition they are 'bad' mics only exists on here.

IME pretty much everybody tended to use the BXLS's rather than the vintage EB's that was available. I could understand someone who had a lot of experience with the vintage versions being thrown by the different sound of the modern ones, but they are not bad microphones just because they are different.

As I said, millions of people listen to these microphones daily and no complaints about them. GS is a lot more a world where if people hear a difference, the original/vintage/analogue version is therefore 'better' instead of merely different. These are tools at the end of the day.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

anyone with samples they are proud of with the new 414 XLS??
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I agree with ‚thenoodle‘. To me there is a main difference between ancient C12 and all its successors but not that big difference between for example an EB, a B-ULS and a B-XLS. Listening to the small differences between those three i like the XLS most.

The mic closest to the legend C12 is an OC818
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm kind of surprised that Peluso is bothering to make a 414, because there are so many versions still in production by AKG. They even have the 214 now.

I find the 414 (every variant I have ever tried) to be too edgy for my voice. It's great for drum overheads. But I don't think it is a magic mic for voices.

The 414 is nothing like the C12.

The price point of the 414 buys you a good number of other mics to audition.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebleed View Post
anyone with samples they are proud of with the new 414 XLS??
All the recent piano tracks on my YouTube are a pair of 414 xls. I don't know if I am "proud" of the tracks, but I think they sound pretty good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
The 414 is nothing like the C12.
May I help you?

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...8mgUMDvSi50WM:

looks a bit familiar isn't it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Been away for awhile working on a musical where we used the 414 XLII on several lead vocal tracks. It's not the same as the old 414s from the seventies but it was the sound the producers preferred from a big selection. In this day and age of liberal return policies, I would try one out in your own setup. PM me if you want the Soundcloud rough track.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search