The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is my mic power safe?
Old 15th September 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Is my mic power safe?

Dear Gearslutz,

This is my first post so please do let me know if it's not in the right place!

So - I just brought a second hand valve powered SubZero TPS-1 condenser microphone.

I received a shock as I was plugging the mic power cable into the power supply box. It was nothing too bad, but the box had been switched off for a good 5 minutes already by this point.

Please also be forgiving as I know hardly anything about electrics, but here may be a few things things worth nothing:
  • The fuse is 10v under what it should be (240v instead of 250v)
  • The power cable was not plugged into the microphone
  • Though the box had been switched off for 5 minutes, it was still plugged into the mains

I'm worried that something is faulty or that I may have gotten a much worse shock than I did if the box was on.

Is this something to worry about? Should I be returning the equiptment or is there some further steps I can take to troubleshoot?

Many thanks in advanced dear members
Old 16th September 2019
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
Amsoily's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobman View Post
Dear Gearslutz,

This is my first post so please do let me know if it's not in the right place!

So - I just brought a second hand valve powered SubZero TPS-1 condenser microphone.

I received a shock as I was plugging the mic power cable into the power supply box. It was nothing too bad, but the box had been switched off for a good 5 minutes already by this point.

Please also be forgiving as I know hardly anything about electrics, but here may be a few things things worth nothing:
  • The fuse is 10v under what it should be (240v instead of 250v)
  • The power cable was not plugged into the microphone
  • Though the box had been switched off for 5 minutes, it was still plugged into the mains

I'm worried that something is faulty or that I may have gotten a much worse shock than I did if the box was on.

Is this something to worry about? Should I be returning the equiptment or is there some further steps I can take to troubleshoot?

Many thanks in advanced dear members
Hello welcome.
You may want to use an isolation transformer between the power source and the power supply. The Isolation transformer will pass the same power as the source but will be grounded prior to your power supply.

https://youtu.be/3rvEdHyAd2k

As far as grounding help with the power supply I yield to more experienced members. Not comfortable assisting with mains.

G-Luck

Last edited by Amsoily; 4 weeks ago at 09:59 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Thanks a lot for the reply dear man.

Grounding does make sense, though I share how you you're quite cautious of mains electric. I decided to play it safe, send the sketchy thing back and buy a new Aston Original Mic, absolutely delighted with it.

Love
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobman View Post
Dear Gearslutz,

This is my first post so please do let me know if it's not in the right place!

So - I just brought a second hand valve powered SubZero TPS-1 condenser microphone.

I received a shock as I was plugging the mic power cable into the power supply box. It was nothing too bad, but the box had been switched off for a good 5 minutes already by this point.

Please also be forgiving as I know hardly anything about electrics, but here may be a few things things worth nothing:
  • The fuse is 10v under what it should be (240v instead of 250v)
  • The power cable was not plugged into the microphone
  • Though the box had been switched off for 5 minutes, it was still plugged into the mains

I'm worried that something is faulty or that I may have gotten a much worse shock than I did if the box was on.
















Is this something to worry about? Should I be returning the equiptment or is there some further steps I can take to troubleshoot?

Many thanks in advanced dear members
Yes, you should be worried. When it comes to electrical safety issues you really need professional advice and NOT to listen to people on the internet.

Adding more grounds or isolating grounds does not fix the issue. There are a million reasons why electrical shocks can happen, many of them fatal, and no one on the internet can say what the reason is.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
Amsoily's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
Yes, you should be worried. When it comes to electrical safety issues you really need professional advice and NOT to listen to people on the internet.

Adding more grounds or isolating grounds does not fix the issue. There are a million reasons why electrical shocks can happen, many of them fatal, and no one on the internet can say what the reason is.
In the military I hammered eight foot grounding rods into rock and stones, wore a bracelet and puckered quietly in my box picturing the antenna had luck.

Electrician fees from commercial build outfits are not that bad. Issue here = iCall
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump