The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The (un)official Audioscape thread
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Audioscape and FCS.........just like butter.
Attached Thumbnails
The (un)official Audioscape thread-screenshot_20191003-134150_1.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape View Post

@ Drumhead57 - as you already know, your rig is INSANE and your collection of AS gear is astounding! Thank you for your support and for being an AS OG - aka: early adopter
Almost as INSANE as my current CC balance
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Just scored an 1176A to go with the Buss Compressor I purchased this summer.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead57 View Post
Almost as INSANE as my current CC balance
it's only money, right? LOL. Sorry man!! I warn folks all the time - once you acquire your first AS piece, an addiction is formed almost immediately and you must "collect 'e, all"!

@ TonyS - DUDE! Haven't seen that FCS unit before, looks SUPER intriguing! Perfect combination right there bud!!

@ gwlee7 - Thank you my man!! That'll be a great addition to your studio! Fulfilling all "1176" style-d compression needs and then some ;-)

@ b0se - I'm with you as far as how hard I'm typically hitting the BUSS COMP. 0dBVU with occasional peaks a few dB above that. I never found any reason to push into it TBH, at least no "sonic" reason. Perhaps I'll experiment a bit! On Drum Buss I do go into a bit hotter but mostly because, ya know - the stray drum transient that can sometimes get away from ya, hahaha.

BLESS YOU ALL!!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
SSL owners - how hard do you drive into the unit?

I've always fed it at 0VU so far, hitting +1 now and then. Away from the studio at the moment so can't test!

Nice collection @ Drumhead57

I'm still working on the best way to gain stage mine because I have this issue where the input gain for the line-ins on my Safire pro 40 doesn't use stepped/indented pots. So when I first plugged the thing in, I was being tricked by the stereo image because things start moving around when L&R channels are coming back into the DAW at different levels. Really tough to get them to match.

Turning both channels all the way down fixes the stereo image uncertainty, but it's not unity gain and it does pull a decent amount of gain out of the signal that I'm just boosting on the way back in with a gain plugin.

But most of the time so far I'm hitting it where with the threshold at 0 I'm not seeing any action on the needle (on the mix buss). If you wanted to really smash something you might drive the input a bit harder but there's enough room to hit 2-4db of GR easily.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydotjaymill View Post
I'm still working on the best way to gain stage mine because I have this issue where the input gain for the line-ins on my Safire pro 40 doesn't use stepped/indented pots. So when I first plugged the thing in, I was being tricked by the stereo image because things start moving around when L&R channels are coming back into the DAW at different levels. Really tough to get them to match.

Turning both channels all the way down fixes the stereo image uncertainty, but it's not unity gain and it does pull a decent amount of gain out of the signal that I'm just boosting on the way back in with a gain plugin.

But most of the time so far I'm hitting it where with the threshold at 0 I'm not seeing any action on the needle (on the mix buss). If you wanted to really smash something you might drive the input a bit harder but there's enough room to hit 2-4db of GR easily.
Ah, good points man! Does the Saffire Pro 40 have input controls for ALL of the line-ins? If not, I'd obviously suggest using the line-ins that are straight to A/D without a trim in-between.

Otherwise, the way you're doing it is just fine! It's so dependent upon where your 2BUSS is sitting - level-wise - before going into the BUSS COMP... like I mentioned, I'm hovering around 0dBVU, perhaps a dB or two over and and if I need anything more or less, I just use the "SEND" and "RETURN" levels built-in to Cubase's "External FX" or "HW Insert" function; letting me plug all my hardware in and pull it up on any track.

0 on threshold is good place to start without seeing much, if any GR and gives you plenty of room to just "tickle" the BUSS COMP or really start slamming into it (also depends upon ratio as far as GR).

Coming from a background of engineering / mixing professionally, we love these types of real-world use questions!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape View Post
Ah, good points man! Does the Saffire Pro 40 have input controls for ALL of the line-ins? If not, I'd obviously suggest using the line-ins that are straight to A/D without a trim in-between.

Otherwise, the way you're doing it is just fine! It's so dependent upon where your 2BUSS is sitting - level-wise - before going into the BUSS COMP... like I mentioned, I'm hovering around 0dBVU, perhaps a dB or two over and and if I need anything more or less, I just use the "SEND" and "RETURN" levels built-in to Cubase's "External FX" or "HW Insert" function; letting me plug all my hardware in and pull it up on any track.

0 on threshold is good place to start without seeing much, if any GR and gives you plenty of room to just "tickle" the BUSS COMP or really start slamming into it (also depends upon ratio as far as GR).

Coming from a background of engineering / mixing professionally, we love these types of real-world use questions!
Yeah, its 8 channels, all with pres with input controls. On the bright side, I'm now maxed out on the Saffire's i/o so I need to supplement with ADAT moving forward, which will give me the opportunity to be more deliberate about supporting my new hardware workflow.

But I am absolutely loving everything about my Buss comp so far! So much fun experimenting with the settings on different kinds of program material. The Highpass on the sidechain is a really fantastic addition and does exactly what it's supposed to. Right now I'm picking a setting, printing it, changing settings, printing, and doing lots of a/b testing to get a feel for it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search