The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The (un)official Audioscape thread
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Can you say if the inputs and outputs are going to be balanced or unbalanced on that spring box?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A Master Room spring reverb? Maybe the XL-305?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokzwei ➡️
Nice, I’m about one reverb short, and was looking for another pcm90, but a spring would be cool.

I dont know how crazy my wife would be about it, as my mixing time is her sleep time, and the rack is a couple feet from her head. I guess we’ll find out.
Hahahahaha LOVE THIS! ;-)

Balanced IN/OUT ;-)

This box is HEAVYYYY and CRAMMED with multiple custom Accutronics reverb sleds, etc. It's also a b*tch and a HALF to build one of these, as far as straight labor time and frustration goes.

But damn is it sweeeeeeeet.

I shall reveal NO MORE!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
any plans for a 500 eq? im on the market for a gang of em.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Spring reverb, you got me

Wow. A reverb tank. THAT is what it means to further the analog recording movement! You guys are just tops, man!
I’ve been using a zerotronics cool springs reverb tank for years now. The hardest part of a no-digital policy was how am I gonna get reverb? The zerotronics sounds like a plate, it’s just gorgeous, no especially preceded with tape echo, eq and a limiter...people always ask about my reverb, it’s part of how I get work, for sure. Reverb is your SOUND. In the “old days” it was the sound of whatever you had available as a chamber. The value of unique reverb CANNOT be overestimated. Digital reverb sucks, sorry, I know you all wanna lexicon me to death but yick....give me a concrete room, a sheet of metal, or springs! Analog reverb forever. Every day I get more stoked on AudioScape. I couldn’t resist this reverb if I tried, brilliant move, can’t wait!

Last edited by 7up partridge; 1 week ago at 10:32 AM.. Reason: **** how do I make boing not be a boing
Gear Maniac

Yeah while you’re at it can you guys do a room reverb? I’d like to replicate the southeast stairway at Power Station.

1 space high please.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape ➡️
GIVE THIS MAN A PRIZE!!!!

You absolutely NAILED it.... not the EXACT model, but the overall category, product, what's INSIDE the product (which is.... COMPLEX to say the least. We literally have a LEGITIMATE WHITE PAPER that covers all of the methods employed in this unit written BY the original designer (it's DEEP... falling WELL above my ability to comprehend most of it - but VERY cool).

It's a unit favored by many top Nashville engineers as well as top LA engineering - the ORIGINAL unit has been used on MANY lead vocal tracks that were #1 on the charts, over the past handful of years.

Two guys come to mind that use it and have spoken about it (briefly) who are, more or less, house-hold names but on separate ends of the spectrum.

Either way - it's ALL analog, sounds as LUSH as an EMT, arguably BETTER (especially our reissue) than the AKG BX series and is operating on VERY similar principles to all of the above...

BUT... NO ONE has had the cojones or been as lucky as we have in order to make this 2Ru device a reality... it's in the final testing phases now but let me say... it sounds LUSHHHH as all hell. You'd NEVER know SPRINGS could sound so beautiful, full, and "plate-like".

GREAT JOB!!!

BTW - my "CLUE" was the green guys jumping emoji, which is made by typing "BOING" hahahahaha
Being ineligible sucks sometimes . . .
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
random question for a DComp owner (or the actual builder)...

what's the diameter of the shafts on the pots?

thanks!

-pete
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hahahahaha LOVE THIS! ;-)

Balanced IN/OUT ;-)

This box is HEAVYYYY and CRAMMED with multiple custom Accutronics reverb sleds, etc. It's also a b*tch and a HALF to build one of these, as far as straight labor time and frustration goes.

But damn is it sweeeeeeeet.

I shall reveal NO MORE!!!
TAKE MY MONEY NOW

Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up partridge ➡️
Wow. A reverb tank. THAT is what it means to further the analog recording movement! You guys are just tops, man!
I’ve been using a zerotronics cool springs reverb tank for years now. The hardest part of a no-digital policy was how am I gonna get reverb? The zerotronics sounds like a plate, it’s just gorgeous, no especially preceded with tape echo, eq and a limiter...people always ask about my reverb, it’s part of how I get work, for sure. Reverb is your SOUND. In the “old days” it was the sound of whatever you had available as a chamber. The value of unique reverb CANNOT be overestimated. Digital reverb sucks, sorry, I know you all wanna lexicon me to death but yick....give me a concrete room, a sheet of metal, or springs! Analog reverb forever. Every day I get more stoked on AudioScape. I couldn’t resist this reverb if I tried, brilliant move, can’t wait!
I LOVE THIS post!!!

Lots of VERY good points made and of course - the INSANELY high-praise!! MUCH appreciated, as always man!!

You make a great point for studios with a "no-digital" policy... you have options, but most will cost an arm and a leg - and then you have the chamber option, which I ALWAYS love.... the UNIQUE nature of this DIY type reverb just floors me. I've always been big on "re-amping" sounds through a room and setup like this... so freaking cool and again, UNIQUE to YOU and YOUR environment.

That zerotronics unit is interesting! It uses a similar reverb sled architecture as the reverb we will be releasing - except that each of the 4 sleds in our reverb has a multitude of springs, all cut to exacting, precise lengths but not randomly... everything adds up to produce an absolutely LUSH, extremely PLATE like response and sound with ZERO .

After hearing it - you would NEVER guess that the reverb being produced was created through the use of spring/tank "technology".

LOL @ Sweatervest -

that could be done, but it'd be digital AF.... and that is NOT #****

😜😎😍🙏🙌
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkrecords ➡️
random question for a DComp owner (or the actual builder)...

what's the diameter of the shafts on the pots?

thanks!

-pete
Hey Pete!!

If memory serves its 6.35mm on the pots and rotary switches
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
perfect. thanks!
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez ➡️
any plans for a 500 eq? im on the market for a gang of em.
Something I would like to see as well! I am trying to get more Pre/EQs in my studio as I would more console channel strips than rag-tag components.

Essentially, when designed to be complimentary, you don't really need every EQ to have two shelves, two semi parametric bands and two fully parametric bands when you're dealing with drums (HPF and cut the 325-350 in a deep semi-notch) electric guitar (center mids are your friends!) nasal out of vocals, or added, and a few little things. We can go too far with EQ!

#****
Gear Head
Just when I thought you guys couldn't get any cooler!!!

#****

#SpringForward (ps - you should totally time this release for the daylight saving time change and steal this )
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
I’m not sure how/why we started talking about white nationalists in here. From what I can see, Audioscape makes gear in lots of different colors.
😂😂😂

I had heard about some weird stuff happening in this thread, but only had a chance to check it just now.

Honestly, I'm glad I didn't see any of it. Don't like bad-vibes...

We're all here to geek out over gear, talk about making records and at the end of the day, express our LOVE for music, share tips with others, HELP others, educate and just have a good ole' time.

PHEW! Let's all take a deep breath, sip on whatever liquid you prefer and

Thanks for all of the support y'all.... I say it TOO much (if that's even possible - for me, it's not) but really, we MEAN it...

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a V Comp EPHIPANY!

I FREAKING HAVE TO POST...... And yes, I posted this elsewhere, but need to put it here too....

Yes, I know I'm shouting. I'M STOKED. STOKED!!!!!!!!!! Happens on occasion, but not enough when I'm mixing to be a common occurrence. And not nearly often enough to make mixing jump up and shout exciting.

But tonight, TONIGHT - I tried BOTH V Comps on my mix buss. I've never had them there before as they are always on Bass or Vox or something inside the mix. I have much more "sophisticated and elegant stereo" solutions for the mix buss before using something I kinda considered "heavy handed". But I was having an issue, and just randomly dropped them on the mix buss to check something.

O. M. G. !!!!

They completely blew up my EDM mix in the most amazing and fantastic way. L/R Movement - MOVEMENT!, depth, and jaw dropping width happened. Almost a revelation moment.

Now I'm in a quandary. I need two to put on individual mix elements. I can't spare them for the mix bus.

Will I now need 4 V Comps? Where will I put them? I'm out of rack space.... Sigh.....

Maybe it's an anomaly and I'm just tired. I will check back tomorrow and see if I'm still on Cloud 9.......
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️

I FREAKING HAVE TO POST...... And yes, I posted this elsewhere, but need to put it here too....

Yes, I know I'm shouting. I'M STOKED. STOKED!!!!!!!!!! Happens on occasion, but not enough when I'm mixing to be a common occurrence. And not nearly often enough to make mixing jump up and shout exciting.

But tonight, TONIGHT - I tried BOTH V Comps on my mix buss. I've never had them there before as they are always on Bass or Vox or something inside the mix. I have much more "sophisticated and elegant stereo" solutions for the mix buss before using something I kinda considered "heavy handed". But I was having an issue, and just randomly dropped them on the mix buss to check something.

O. M. G. !!!!

They completely blew up my EDM mix in the most amazing and fantastic way. L/R Movement - MOVEMENT!, depth, and jaw dropping width happened. Almost a revelation moment.

Now I'm in a quandary. I need two to put on individual mix elements. I can't spare them for the mix bus.

Will I now need 4 V Comps? Where will I put them? I'm out of rack space.... Sigh.....

Maybe it's an anomaly and I'm just tired. I will check back tomorrow and see if I'm still on Cloud 9.......
Hahahaha, I can't WAIT to hear your thoughts tomorrow!!!

I've done this a few times (BUT, with the V in "OFF" mode, so just for color) and it was AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LMK what your settings and GR were as well!! I MUST hear this!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️

O. M. G. !!!!

Did the same with mines on M/S
Sounds epic indeed
Gear Maniac

D Comp on the 2 bus ain’t no slouch. Just kissing the needles a bit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Side note, I love my audioscape bus comp and have told that to many I have worked with. I am *certain* of a few people making purchases from my recommendations. Not reading through the thread as a “hater” at all.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez ➡️
Did the same with mines on M/S
Sounds epic indeed
This is the money shot
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I never saw any of the now-deleted posts but I will say that when you have to begin a post in the main AudioScape appreciation thread with "Side note, I love my audioscape bus comp" then you know it must have gone way way off the rails...

R.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah, D-comp on mix bus is a nice thing. I understand the drum smash thing as well, which is an ideal aggressive parallel sound. But it’s not a bad device to have at the end of your mix bus either, it can fill out and finish a track without really seeing any needles moving.

I will say, regarding the V-comp, that while I wouldn’t have anticipated this for myself, in practice I’m finding it difficult to rely on compressors that don’t have control over the sidechain hpf. Very nice sound and I wish I could sweep the response like the 176 or opto comp.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm trying it as we speak and mannn... I feel like taking some stuff off the mix bus and let the vcomps shine.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
LMK what your settings and GR were as well!! I MUST hear this!!!
OK - here's where I ended up Charlie.

This EDM mix had a LOT of panning FX and moving sounds going on. Very lush with a lot of side to side movement panning. The V Comps with no stereo linking really accented that and made things super cool with a vibe almost psychedelic soundscape of motion. Glued, yet moving. That's where my first reaction came from.

This morning I had a little more perspective. The lack of a side chain filter on the V Comps (Sta Level design) hurt the mega pumping Bass Drum a bit, so I did a few things to compensate for the bottom that the V Comp was eating up since this was EDM and LF heavy.

First, I backed off the compression a bit by lowering the Input gain, and then I boosted the Sub Bass on the Silver Bullet which was out in front of it in the chain. The combination of the two of those things brought me back to where I needed to be LF wise.

I know it is not really a mix buss tool as it was designed, but it is really special and I'd love to use it more - but for me, to really use the V Comps a LOT on mix buss would require a few things :

1. A variable side chain filter
2. The option to link the thresholds together
3. An optional wet/dry mix.

With these in place, it would become a no brainer mix buss monster. As is, I can make it work - and I did make it work and it was amazing. But those features would grand slam it out of the park. Maybe a tube VaruMu in the future?

It would not always be right for everything, as it definitely has it's sonic imprint, but man...so, sooooo, good for me on this mix.

Here's the settings I ended up with :

Input : 8
Output : 5.5ish
Mode : Double
Recovery : one click down from fastest

Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
It's on the stems that feed the summing mixer that I place all my hardware comps now, so that's sort of the context that I evaluate/use them. I don't use hardware inserts anymore - just valuing mixing with very low latency.

I find the V-comp is really good for sounds that you don't want too prevalent in the mix. So since I just have the mono unit, I can put it on center panned midrange instruments, acoustic guitar, keys, and it'll fill in the background and keep it textured and out of the vocal without leaving a gap. If I want to enhance something like a bass with it, I'll run it in parallel.

D-comp is nice for like thicker pads, cello, accordian, that you want a little further forward, and you can massively form the 2d breadth of that element, how it fills in the mid-foreground of the mix, with the attack and release. That same quality presents well in parallel for percussive sources, brings a 2d version of them forward while keeping the front to back depth of the dry signal.

Opto comp is a beautiful, contained, bioluminescent snow globe, an uninterrupted pocket for your bass or vocal.

The Buss comp does a thing.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Careful Dr. Bill, those "suggestions" are taking us back to the 'Scapechild 670 territory again.

I've only got one V-Comp, but I'm not too proud to try running the left and right channels of the mix through it independently and doing a little chop and nudge to fix the drift...Talk about movement!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokzwei ➡️
It's on the stems that feed the summing mixer that I place all my hardware comps now, so that's sort of the context that I evaluate/use them. I don't use hardware inserts anymore - just valuing mixing with very low latency.

I find the V-comp is really good for sounds that you don't want too prevalent in the mix. So since I just have the mono unit, I can put it on center panned midrange instruments, acoustic guitar, keys, and it'll fill in the background and keep it textured and out of the vocal without leaving a gap. If I want to enhance something like a bass with it, I'll run it in parallel.

D-comp is nice for like thicker pads, cello, accordian, that you want a little further forward, and you can massively form the 2d breadth of that element, how it fills in the mid-foreground of the mix, with the attack and release. That same quality presents well in parallel for percussive sources, brings a 2d version of them forward while keeping the front to back depth of the dry signal.

Opto comp is a beautiful, contained, bioluminescent snow globe, an uninterrupted pocket for your bass or vocal.

The Buss comp does a thing.
THIS post is AWESOME!!! TONS of knowledge in this! I encourage everyone to read it once, then twice, then ONE more time!

EXCELLENT explanations man!!!

@ drBill - mannnnnn, that sounds AMAZING! As mentioned - I HAVE tried the V-COMP on 2BUSS (but I don't have a SB to help.... please tell Brad to send me one for evaluation and promo )

I REALLY like the idea of a STEREO V-COMP, with added features to make it "MIX BUSS" ready - and perhaps even more pointed towards that usage.

S/C HPF, Linked/Dual-Mono and PERHAPS a Wet/Dry blend would make it a BEAST....

Hmmmmm... you've got my wheels turning now!!!

My only concern is...... THE HEAT!!! DEAR LORD THE HEAT!!!!

Thank you, AS ALWAYS, y'all!!!!
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I BEEEEEEN telling you about a stereo vcomp lol
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

S/C HPF, Linked/Dual-Mono and PERHAPS a Wet/Dry blend would make it a BEAST
M/S encoding/decoding would be a a great feature too.
📝 Reply