The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)
Old 14th September 2019
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)

I'm visiting the IBC (International Broadcasting Conference) in Amsterdam this year, in search for some cool gear. I'll post some pictures and videos in this thread. For new products, links to entries in the "New Product Alert" subforum will be added. There you can find specifications and quoted descriptions.

First off, Genelec presented two new monitors in their "The One" range of coaxial three way speakers, with their "SAM" technology. They're the largest in this range.

The 8361A and to the left, the 8351B coaxial monitor speakers. Underneath the 8351B you can see the top of the W371A Subwoofer.
To give you an idea of the dimensions; I put my Beyer M69 mic in front of it:

The whole family together
Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-genelec_one_range_ibc2019.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-genelec_ibc2019.jpg  
Old 14th September 2019
I met up with the Schoeps team at their stand.
They have a new "Colette" microphone amplifier body, the CMC 1, which is a miniturized version of thier well-known CMC 6 body.
Check this LINK for more information, picture and I will upload a video as well.

For the video, they insisted on using one of their microphones on a carbonfiber boom stick.

Here's a shot of the capsules on display for the Colette series.

Their V4 small condenser microphone is designed for broadcast. I find it particularly beautiful. I imagine it sounds how it looks.
It is based on the DAS CM51/3 microphone which was manufactured in 1951.

Here is a shot of a Cinela Pianissimo suspension mount and windshield (or "blimp"). This mount allows for a double MS setup. Pictured here is a single MS array with a Mini CMIT microphone (and a figure of 8 mic):
Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-schoeps_capsules.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-schoeps_team.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-schoeps_v4.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-schoeps_v4_closeup.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-schoeps_minicmit_cinela_pianissimo.jpg  

Old 14th September 2019
At the Sound Devices Booth, the 833 recorder/mixer was presented. For specifications and a picture go here.

Additionally the MicPre II series was presented. Please go here for more information

The Scorpio (also quite new) recorder/mixer.

Sound Devices have developed software to remote control the functions on their machines.
Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-sound_devices_controlsoftware.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-sound_devices_scorpio.jpg  
Old 14th September 2019
Deity Microphones is quite an unknown brand for studio applications.
They carry Budget shotgun mics in their catalogue, but released their first studio mic, the Uni-Mic: Go HERE for pictures and some details.

The 2-Mic 2S is a miniturized version of their Sennheiser 2-Mic 2 remake. Full brass machined body, but lightweight. Here's a size comparison between the two:
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-deity_s-mic2_s-mic2s.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-deity_s-mic2_s-mic2s.jpg  
Old 14th September 2019
I visited the Neumann booth to check out their KH 750 DSP subwoofer and NDH 20 reference closed back headphones.

The Subwoofer has had a DSP software upgrade. Neumann's analogue speakers can be connected to it, the DSP will then phase align the speakers with the subwoofer.
Very useful for existing Neumann speaker users.

Pictured the KH 310 A and the KH 80 DSP on top.

Here's their NDH 20. Their goal was to produce a pair of headphones that would work in any environment, and would offer the user a reference point.
The construction is metal, lightweight and folds to really small. The pads are memory foam and can be replaced. Cups are over-ear, on my head it fit nicely. The cable is detachable with a standard plug connector.

And some microphones of their current catalogue:
The U67 SET

The ubiquitous TLM 103 vocal microphone:

From front to back; the KM 184 pencil mic, KMR 81 I Shotgun mic, KMR 82 I MT shotgun mic:

Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-neumann_kh80dsp_kh310a.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-neumann_kh750dsp.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-neumann_ndh20.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-neumann_bcm104.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-neumann_km184_kmr81i_kmr82imt.jpg  

IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-neumann_tlm103.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-neumann_u67set.jpg  
Old 14th September 2019
Cedar introduced their DNS 8DTM eight channel noise suppressor in 19" rack format. It speaks DANTE.
Please visit this link for a picture and specification?

A picture of the portable two channel Cedar DNS 2 noise suppressor.

Both are suitable and tuned for (real time) vocal processing.

And a picture of the Cedar Studio software with the now familiar spectral edit display (developed by them in the mid nineties)
Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-cedar_dns2.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-cedar_studio_software.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
At the Sanken Microphones (Sanken Chromatic) booth the whole assortiment of microphones was on display.
This japanese manufacturer is known for it's high quality shotgun and dual capsule microphones.

Newly presented at the IBC show was the CMS-50, a professional Mid-Side stereo shotgun microphone, housed in a short, lightweight body.
What grabbed my attention was the (quoted) polar patterns and the frequency responses. Please go here for a picture, specifications and data.

The CU-51 has been on the market since 2016: It's a dual capsule microphone, with a single cardiod polar pattern. The microphone has an uniform response in both on-axis and off-axis positions as well as at different distances to the microphone (defeating most of the proximity effect).
The membrames are Polyphenylene, the microphone is voiced for recording instruments in the studio.
Please see here for more information and specification.

This Microphone is called CUX-100K. It has been announced but is not yet available.
Like the CO-100K it's frequency repsonse ranges from 20 Hz to 100 KHz.
The polar pattern is switchable from cardiod to omni, and the microphone is voiced for recording music instruments.
Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-cu-51.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-cux-100k.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
Trinnov Audio is a french company specialized in loudspeaker/room optimization technology.
For this purpose they offer a number of processors in 19" rack format, with various connection options on cards, which can be inserted into multiple slots in the back.

The processors for the "pro audio" market (studio) are:
ST2 PRO
- 4 channel processing
- AES/Analog i/o (up to 96 KHz)
- available integration is optional GPIO, RS232 / IP telnet protocol
- monitoring features are advanced sources anagement, dedicated low latency side mixer, talkback circuits
- it can drive multiple speaker sets
D-MON
- 4-12 channel processing
- AES/Analog i/o (up to 96 KHz), optional audio over IP (AES67)
- available integration is GPIO, MIDI, Digidesign ICON protocol, EUCON, standard JSON/REST network API, RS232 / IP telnet protocol
- it has active crossovers
MC-PRO
- up to 16 channel processing (modular)
- monitoring features are advanced sources anagement, dedicated low latency side mixer, talkback circuits
- AES/Analog i/o (up to 192 KHz)
- available integration is optional GPIO, RS232 / IP telnet protocol
MC HCC
- up to 64 channels processing
- MADI, AES67/Ravenna and DANTE i/o up to 192 KHz
- available integration is optional RS232 / IP telnet protocol

At the IBC they announced the Pro Remote.
A desktop montoring device to control their range of processors.
Please go here for more (preliminairy) information and a picture.

Also on show was their Optimizer measurement microphone array, which works seamlessly with their Optimizer workflow. It has 4 omni capsules in a precise array.
Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-trinnov_optimizer.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-trinnov_range.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
Announced this summer Dynaudio for the first time showed their Core 47 three way compact monitor speaker.
It's a small format (nearfield) sized monitor, but with a "beefy" character ((quoted) power of 1.1 KWatt per unit)
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-dynaudio-core-47.jpg

It's a fully analogue speaker unit, DSP is intended to be provided with external processing (using a dedicated unit such as the Trinnov Audio D-Mon).
At the back of the monitor the characteristics can be tuned using controls on dip-switches:
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-dynaudio-core-47-back-goed.jpg
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-core-47-back-detail.jpg

The tweeter is of a special design with a secondary cone inside (barely) visible in this picture. The design goal was to avoid harshness at high SPL playback levels.
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-dynaudio-tweeter-detail.jpg

They also have a new subwoofer, called Core Sub in their range, but didn't bring it for this show.
Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-core-47-back-detail.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-dynaudio-core-47-back-goed.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-dynaudio-core-47.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-dynaudio-tweeter-detail.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
Focusrite Pro products on show:

Red 4, Red 8 and Red 16 interfaces

RedNet X2P

RedNet 2AM

Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-red4-red8-red16.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-rednet-am2.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-rednet-x2p.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
Lectrosonics is well known for their quality wireless products which offer a flat frequency response.
On show was their whole range of products.

The D2 (D Squared) and Venue 2 receiver

The DBu and DHu transmitters

The small size HMa transmitter (with a Schoeps CMC 1 body and capsule)

Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-lectrosonics_d2_reciever.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-lectrosonics_dbu_dhu.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-lectrosonics_hma_transmitter.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
JoeCo Bluebox workstations and Blackbox recorders

The JoeCo Cello audio interface with monitoring function

Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-joeco_blackbox_recorders.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-joeco_cello.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
Zoom showed a number of products from their budget range of recorders at the IBC

Announced spring this year; the Zoom F6 was presented to the public, which is a small format 6 channel 14 track field recorder

And the Livetrak L-20R, a 20 channel input digital mixer/recorder which can be mounted in a 19" rack

Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-zoom-f6-voorkant.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-zoom-f6-zijkant-links.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-zoom-f6-zijkant-rechts.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-zoom-l-20r-screen.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-zoom-l-20r.jpg  

IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-zoom-l20-r-back.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
In april this year Zaxcom announced their new device, called the Nova combining mixer, a recorder, their ZaxNet™ remote control and wireless receivers.
The Nova Nova can record up to 12 channels of audio to two compact flash cards. The unit has 4 mic/line NeverClip™ inputs (with 140 dB of dynamic range), 2 line level balanced inputs, 4 external AES inputs (connect to external wireless receivers) and 6 analog/AES output buses. 2 AES42 microphones can also connect to the AES inputs and are powered by the Nova.
Two optional QRX212 dual receivers can be installed and all connections including antennas are made within the Nova without external cables. The QRX212 receivers are interchangable with those in the RX-12 and RX-12R.

Here's their salesperson Colleen Goodsir showing the comparative size of the Nova:

Also on show was their flagship device, the Deva 24. It was the first in which they used their propriety mixing system. It offers 24 track recording with versatile input/output routing, ZaxNet, NeverClip, PowerRoll and MixAhead with a fast, intuitive touch screen interface.

On the side the slots for the two CF cards and a swappable SSD drive can be seen:

Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-deva-24-side.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-deva-24.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-nova.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-zaxcom_colleen-goodsir_nova.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
The german company RTW has been producing metering solutions for pro audio and broadcast professionals for 50 years.
At the IBC they showed a number of recent products.

Pictured here is the TouchMonitor TM7. It has the operational concept and GUI of their TM9 in a smaller format.
Both the TM7, TM9 and TMR9 offer Powerful DSP platform for parallel display of multiple instruments.
The monitor is available in different housings to suit different environments. The instruments can be scaled and repositioned on the display.
The latest firmware version expands the basic software to 4-channel display, 4 x Mono, 2 x Stereo, 2 x Mono and 1 x Stereo can be measured without the need of an activated Multichannel licence. RTA provides a 1/12-octave mode, Cinema Loudness standards (LEQ(M), TASA, SAWA) have been implemented, and the Audio Vectorscope instrument allows up to 4 instances. The output routing can individually be adjusted for each preset, all presets can be exported or imported at the same time.
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-touch-monitor-front.jpg
The back of a TouchMonitor TM9
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-touch-monitor-back.jpg

Even smaller, with a capacitive 4.3" touch screen the TM3-Primus, TM3-Smart and the TM3-3G Smart will fit in any setup. All three devices offer precise metering with the same GUI, the difference is in connectivity and some features.

The TM3-Primus pictured here offers full feature set for multifunctional audio measurements (analog, digital, USB audio).
It has Analog 2-channel stereo input via unbal. RCA, adjustable from –22 dBu (61 mV) to +24 dBu (12.28 V) and Digital 2-channel stereo in- and output via S/PDIF (RCA)
There is a Micro-USB connector for digital audio inputs (stereo, 5.1) and USB power supply (USB mains adapter or computer).
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-tm3-primus.jpg

The TM3-3G Smart pictured here, includes a remote 3G-SDI interface box with audio I/O, USB and GPIO.
Besides PPM and True Peak instruments, the TM3-3G Smart features comprehensive loudness measuring features conforming to all relevant international standards (EBU R128, ITU-R BS.1770-3/1771-1, ATSC A/85, ARIB, OP-59, AGCOM, CALM Act). Loudness instruments include single-channel and summing bargraphs, loudness range, loudness chart (TP, M, S, or I value over time), and numerical displays. Moving Coil instruments display stereo signals with different scales and modes (PPM, VU, Loudness, BBC). With the Monitoring instrument an onscreen level fader is available. And with the Timecode reader instrument an external or SDI timecode can be decoded and displayed.
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-tm3-3g-smart.jpg

Please visit the manufacturer page for more product information.
Attached Thumbnails
IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-tm3-3g-smart.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-tm3-primus.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-touch-monitor-back.jpg   IBC 2019 gear (microphones, monitor speakers, recorders and some other gear)-touch-monitor-front.jpg  
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru
Nice to see all these wonderful recorders..... I wonder whether some are moving towards non DAW recording. I really like recording with a Mix Pre and not a laptop FWIW.....
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Nice to see all these wonderful recorders..... I wonder whether some are moving towards non DAW recording. I really like recording with a Mix Pre and not a laptop FWIW.....
That’s exactly where it’s going. Check the Sound Devices 833 and Scorpio?
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
That’s exactly where it’s going. Check the Sound Devices 833 and Scorpio?
Nah, it's a broadcast show, with a strong foothold in location recording, so traditionally there has always been an "over-representation" of recorders, seen from the angle of studio recording. The SD Scorpio and 833 are nothing but a modernised replacement of their very popular 788T, which has been discontinued last week. I'm from an audio-visual backround myself and thus use recorders for music recording too, but I don't see a move towards recorders in general. Biggest problem is you can't dub with (most) digital recorders because reading and writing at the same time of multiple tracks doesn't work smooth enough with memory cards.

One other point that struck me in the above reports: the Schoeps V4 is not a large diaphragm condenser, but an SDC, placed in a pressure disk. At Schoeps they hate LDCs from the bottom of their heart and it is their manufacturing philosophy to never make one. Know your classics!
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Guru
Well I record music on a MixPre6M as a studio recorder. It does multitracking effortlessly and has all the features of a stand alone recorder. The only real limitation sonically is the conversion which is a given, with no digital input. The Scorpios supposedly have better preamps but I use my outboard pres for colored sources anyway. The Kashmir ones in the MP series are very quiet and clear, so no worries there. There are also ways to control thru mobile devices and control surfaces.
It can also act as a DAW interface with no latency.

The only drawbacks are work around's since the device has so much packed into a small package. These are easy to figure out with the additional control options. Marking cues, looping, shuttling, etc is greatly facilitated. I personally like a stand alone recorder and this sets up on a music stand and is easy to trigger and work with.

I would love to have a JoeCo or Radar recorder, but honestly the MixPre is very capable of laying down great tracks (and even a rough mix assembly), if needed.
Important to stipulate non pro here, but the film guys I work with swear by them. The M series was specifically developed for music production.
Old 18th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Nah, it's a broadcast show, with a strong foothold in location recording, so traditionally there has always been an "over-representation" of recorders, seen from the angle of studio recording. The SD Scorpio and 833 are nothing but a modernised replacement of their very popular 788T, which has been discontinued last week. I'm from an audio-visual backround myself and thus use recorders for music recording too, but I don't see a move towards recorders in general. Biggest problem is you can't dub with (most) digital recorders because reading and writing at the same time of multiple tracks doesn't work smooth enough with memory cards.
I made a video interview with Paul Isaacs, which is coming (hopefully today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
One other point that struck me in the above reports: the Schoeps V4 is not a large diaphragm condenser, but an SDC, placed in a pressure disk. ...
Thanks for the correction of that typo, it is indeed a SDC. I've edited the post.
FYI here's a video interview with Schoeps' Helmut Wittek, about the CMC 1.
I wish I had access to this V4 microphone myself. It's designed as vocal microphone and I could certainly use it.

Old 18th September 2019
The Sound Devices MicPre II series and 833 videos are up:
Old 18th September 2019
And here's the video presentation of the new (3rd generation) wireless reciever from Audio Technica, which uses a double compander, with wide tuning range.
Please go here for more information and specifications.

Old 18th September 2019
Gear Guru

The IPS (Institute of Professional Sound) sent a film crew to the IBC again this year.

You can view all the videos HERE

Videos are being added here as they are finished - up so far are:-

AETA
Rycote
Microtech Gefell
Schoeps
DPA
Sound Devices
Hawk-Woods
Cinela
Hide-A-Mic
Spiritland mobile
Zaxcom
Wisycom
Lectrosonics
and no doubt more to come.

I know some people were particularly interested in the new Sound Devices stuff, but there is at least one video here to suit everyone. :thumbup:

Previous years can be seen here

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search