The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Greeting/Studio setup advice
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear
Greeting/Studio setup advice

Hey all, nice to finally admit to myself that im a gear addict and I have a problem.

about me: I produce mainly electronic music atm, from deep house to downtempo- though I do have a vision of expanding my horizons . I've been building my studio since 2014 so going on 6 years now. My current setup is:

Intrsuments/inputs: Octatrack, Analog keys, Jomox Mbase, Machinedrum, Electribe, Microbrute, Prophet Rev 2, Roland E-20, a couple of Shure sms 7 for my Guitar, Flute, Set of congas (6 total when my brother shares ) a couple of Shure sm57 for those instruments, a couple of Technics 1200 on a Mastersounds Radius 2 Mixer.

to be added: Electric Bass, Trombone, any good synthesizer-looking at the new Ashun Hydra synth, and DSI tempest(Im hoping this is the last drum machine I will ever need)

Gear: all of the instruments before my Guitar and the rest have homes in a Mackie 1642 VLZ4 ( I know there is some shade on it, it's been good to learn on though)

Yammy HS8's/ Sennheiser HD650's

Pro VLA 2 compressor which im running as an insert on my the Jomox Mbase. Cool combo

Behringer 404hd audio interface taking in main out from mackie, a pair of Steinberg UR824 on the way replacing it. will need three actually though

Software: Ableton live 8 on a barely sufficient Asus laptop. ableton being replaced by Protools asap. need a new computer for sure

So, I was looking for hi quality audio out of a mixer, after reading here that doesn't really happen until after the $2k range- I heard soundcraft sounds good. I really love the flow of a mixing console which i'd regard as worth it and necessary to the way I make music currently, the way I record Is I sort of see it like im recording my live set, Im actively on my faders and mutes EQ's etc while recording, then processing tracks ITB. though I dont like that I cant go from project to project when I need space from a track/album

the vision was direct outs from mixer with to Converters multitracking into protools, processing done in the box with some outboard gear, mastering to my best every once in a while- but usually sending out for mastering. Now Im thinking a mixing controller would do me right enough- maybe automating my eqing mutes, faders ITB

Am I doing this **** Right ? Is there any advice for me going foward to get the most out of my set up ? How would I integrate outboard effects/post-processing (guitar pedals etc)? Where is important to prioritize spending while growing my studio? better monitors? treatment isnt an option atm as I plan on moving within a year

I appreciate any advice guys, Thanks!
Old 13th September 2019
Greetings AuditoryCortex95,

Welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 13th September 2019
Quote:
So, I was looking for hi quality audio out of a mixer, after reading here that doesn't really happen until after the $2k range-
your quality comes form your original sound source and how and what you record. It doesn't happen after the recording stage.
Quality in will equal quality out, no matter how much you spend on a mixer. You can have a $200 mixer and have great sounding tracks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search