The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which one is Best Single Channel Mic Pre?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Head
 

Which one is Best Single Channel Mic Pre?

Hello guys, i’m coming to the end point and ready to buy my next microphone pre amp! I need a Single Mic Pre under $1500 Used for modern Rap, Hip Hop, R&B! So i’m looking at 3 Pres here: UA LA 610 or Warm Audio 1073 EQ or Daking Pre EQ. Which one do you think is the best bang for it’s buck for thick warm modern vocals ? Or any other suggestions you might have, i am not interested in the 500 series.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
Out of those three, I would take Daking.
Warm is a bit noisy and fuzzy.
The LA610 is on the dark side. Good choice if most of your mic's are on the bright side.

Take a look at Revive Audio. They have a few in house made preamps. Solid builds, very low noise.

What mic? Say you get an AEA44. an AEA preamp would be best for that.

There is a huge old thread here with optimal mic+preamp combo's

So you want a preamp that is sumwhat neutral, clear, without sucking the color or warmth out of the sound.

Tubes are the ticket.

With that budget, you almost have enough for a Coil preamp. Perhaps you can score a used DW furn for that. Start hunting used gear man.

There are many fantastic $2000 tube preamps, both one and two channel. At $1500, your gonna have to go hunting for a tube preamp.

Now do you need a tube? I would say yes if you plan to use solid state condencer mic's.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
GYMusic's Avatar
You don't say what mic. That makes a difference. I like and have both LA-610 and LA-610II. You might see if you can demo a BAE 1073MP.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Here for the gear
 

I would add a Great River ME-1NV to the list of single channel pre's to try under $1,500.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxwes View Post
I would add a Great River ME-1NV to the list of single channel pre's to try under $1,500.
It looks like he wants a pre with EQ.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Out of those three, I would take Daking.
Warm is a bit noisy and fuzzy.
The LA610 is on the dark side. Good choice if most of your mic's are on the bright side.

Take a look at Revive Audio. They have a few in house made preamps. Solid builds, very low noise.

What mic? Say you get an AEA44. an AEA preamp would be best for that.

There is a huge old thread here with optimal mic+preamp combo's

So you want a preamp that is sumwhat neutral, clear, without sucking the color or warmth out of the sound.

Tubes are the ticket.

With that budget, you almost have enough for a Coil preamp. Perhaps you can score a used DW furn for that. Start hunting used gear man.

There are many fantastic $2000 tube preamps, both one and two channel. At $1500, your gonna have to go hunting for a tube preamp.

Now do you need a tube? I would say yes if you plan to use solid state condencer mic's.
it’s a Neumann TLM 49 sorry !! what do u think ?
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
You don't say what mic. That makes a difference. I like and have both LA-610 and LA-610II. You might see if you can demo a BAE 1073MP.

it’s a Neumann TLM 49 sorry !! what do u think ?
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Out of those three, I would take Daking.
Warm is a bit noisy and fuzzy.
The LA610 is on the dark side. Good choice if most of your mic's are on the bright side.

Take a look at Revive Audio. They have a few in house made preamps. Solid builds, very low noise.

What mic? Say you get an AEA44. an AEA preamp would be best for that.

There is a huge old thread here with optimal mic+preamp combo's

So you want a preamp that is sumwhat neutral, clear, without sucking the color or warmth out of the sound.

Tubes are the ticket.

With that budget, you almost have enough for a Coil preamp. Perhaps you can score a used DW furn for that. Start hunting used gear man.

There are many fantastic $2000 tube preamps, both one and two channel. At $1500, your gonna have to go hunting for a tube preamp.

Now do you need a tube? I would say yes if you plan to use solid state condencer mic's.
it’s a Neumann TLM 49 sorry !! what do u think ???
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Dgr
Gear Nut
I have all three of these and while I like the LA-610 for some things and think WARM did a pretty good job I absolutely love the Daking Pre EQ. I've never had the fortune to use the Trident board that it is supposedly based on, but that pre mated to the EQ is pancakes and maple syrup for me.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
The TLM49 is great. I've got one in my B room set up all the time. Been used on lots of pop and hip hop records. I will say that you probably don't want the 610 if you're doing vocals. Something Neve-ish, such as the aforementioned Great River me-1nv would be excellent. Or (I know, I'm not a 500-series fan either) an Avedis MA5 in a 1U 500 series rack would be fantastic, and leave enough money for a DBX 160xt or one of the 1176 clones people seem to love so much.

Last edited by Podgorny; 1 week ago at 08:42 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #11
For that money I’d consider one of the coil units or maybe a 2nd hand mercury 72 or 76 or a Chandler Redd.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Save up and get a Tree Branch channel strip used for $2000-ish

That will make you happy.

I A/B’d one with the “famous” MP2NV DI, it was a joke how far the Tree blew the Great River off the stage (for tracking keys via DI).

I would assume the mic circuit is the same.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Nut
 

Great River is my go to for vocals
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Save up and get a Tree Branch channel strip used for $2000-ish

That will make you happy.

I A/B’d one with the “famous” MP2NV DI, it was a joke how far the Tree blew the Great River off the stage (for tracking keys via DI).

I would assume the mic circuit is the same.
Can i use my Compressor and Eq with the channel strip???
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignFaraz View Post
Can i use my Compressor and Eq with the channel strip???
No
But You can sell your eq and compressor
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Save up and get a Tree Branch channel strip used for $2000-ish

That will make you happy.

I A/B’d one with the “famous” MP2NV DI, it was a joke how far the Tree blew the Great River off the stage (for tracking keys via DI).

I would assume the mic circuit is the same.


So what you're saying is, you've never actually used this product for the OP's specified purpose?
And I love my Inward TSL-3, but NOT for hip-hop vocals. And I don't know ANYONE who is working on that stuff that is using valve mic pres in their vocal chains. Lots of 1073s (and their clones) though.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podgorny View Post
So what you're saying is, you've never actually used this product for the OP's specified purpose?
And I love my Inward TSL-3, but NOT for hip-hop vocals. And I don't know ANYONE who is working on that stuff that is using valve mic pres in their vocal chains. Lots of 1073s (and their clones) though.
There is a thread with someone "who does a ton of rap vocals" explaining that the Tree is the best preamp they've ever used for that purpose. They also have a chandler RS/Redd combo.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podgorny View Post
So what you're saying is, you've never actually used this product for the OP's specified purpose?
And I love my Inward TSL-3, but NOT for hip-hop vocals. And I don't know ANYONE who is working on that stuff that is using valve mic pres in their vocal chains. Lots of 1073s (and their clones) though.
Here ya go: Tree Audio Branch vs Chandler Limited REDD.47 and RS-124

The poster should know I don’t do rap vocals. Don’t care that much about this just trying to be helpful. I don’t think I’ll touch my MP2NV that much after hearing the tube pres (for my purposes). Good luck.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
There is a thread with someone "who does a ton of rap vocals" explaining that the Tree is the best preamp they've ever used for that purpose. They also have a chandler RS/Redd combo.

So your recommendation is secondhand from an anonymous source who aside from owning some tube gear, also owns some tube gear.
Look, I've got no dog in this hunt. If ForeignFaraz wants to record vocals through a cup and a string, it makes no difference to me. Just sharing my own experience, with the same microphone as him, and having worked on a fair amount of pop, hip-hop, and R&B.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
It looks like he wants a pre with EQ.
He didn't specifically ask for an EQ which was why I gave the answer I did. The Great River is an amazing pre-amp, especially for those applications where the grit and drive on a 1073 design will shine. You just can't get a better pre in that price range in my opinion. If he wants an EQ, he could grab some FabFilter Pro-Q3 with the money he saves and be better off.
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
tkaitkai's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podgorny View Post
And I don't know ANYONE who is working on that stuff that is using valve mic pres in their vocal chains.
I can think of no other mic pre that is as highly lauded in the hip-hop community as the Avalon 737. Which is a piece of tube gear.
Old 1 week ago
  #22
Gear Guru
BTW FWIW have a Solo610 and retubed it can be very mid forward. You can probably get them relatively cheap and I'd buy a Daking in a heartbeat. The 610 has a lot of versatility FWIW.... If I was buying an eq, based on the plug in I'd buy an Electra..... 500 series should be affordable. Amazing eq!
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
Honestly if you could crank out like another $300 you could get a used DW Fearn, which is one of the best preamps ive ever used.
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
I can think of no other mic pre that is as highly lauded in the hip-hop community as the Avalon 737. Which is a piece of tube gear.

I can think of no other piece of gear which regularly sits, turned off, in the racks of hip hop studios everywhere.
Old 1 week ago
  #25
Gear Maniac
 

The Neve family of preamps (new Neve, old Neve, Neve clones) works very well with Neumann mics. You might like the Neve Portico series. It is one of Rupert Neve's newer designs, but not the newest (newest does not mean best, it means different). I've heard some very high quality audio with Neumann/Portico. This model has a compressor, which can use lightly during tracking, and it is under $1100: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...s-portico-5017

You can put the money you save toward some room treatment or some good plugins... or simply not spend the money saved.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump