The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What hardware will give instant “wow”
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

What hardware will give instant “wow”

Hey guys,

I’m a producer(pop Rnb, edm) and want to get the most of my mix before sending it off to mix/master. What will give you that instant mojo/umph/damnnzzz factor. It’s probably possible with ITB, but it would be more time consuming.

Thanks!
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Thats part of the mix and/or master job description, so I'd tend to leave any mix bus processing like that to the mixer. Or at least give them a labeled version with/without. Give them a chance to do their own thing, vs. boxing them in.

I was once given a track to master for a friend-of-a-friend. I had the beat and vocal track, but the vocal had all kinds of processing on it like chorus and saturation and even panning back and forth. I could have easily worked with it if I had a raw track, but that wasnt really in the job description here so I was stuck with the overcooked vocal I was given and the result was fine, but inferior because of it. I could have polished up that vocal, but with the heavy saturation on it, even simple EQ moves were difficult, so I had to roll with the distorto-voice and make it work.

Having said all that, maybe check out Gullfoss https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/131/...ss-eq-plug-in/

Another common sweetener thing is a Pultec type eq, gently boosting lows and highs like 60hz and 16k. I like Noise Ash Rule Tec series, or the Tube Tech eq plugin.

Or a colorful comp just doing like 0-1db reduction.

Or tape machine plugins, or light, light saturation.

I'd be careful though, it's really easy to overcook doing stuff like this. Give the mixer a clean copy as well, they're usually way better set up to make those calls and use those types of tools.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Another common sweetener thing is a Pultec type eq, gently boosting lows and highs like 60hz and 16k. I like Noise Ash Rule Tec series, or the Tube Tech eq plugin.

Or a colorful comp just doing like 0-1db reduction.

Or tape machine plugins, or light, light saturation.

I'd be careful though, it's really easy to overcook doing stuff like this. Give the mixer a clean copy as well, they're usually way better set up to make those calls and use those types of tools.
Good advice. Do you mean “mixer” or “mastering engineer”?
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

If it were me (just a singer/enthusiast here)... I'd put the Louder Than Liftoff stuff (like the Silver Bullet), and Zulu on the short list...
Chris
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Good advice. Do you mean “mixer” or “mastering engineer”?
Yeah, kind of blurred the two in my post I guess, but yep either/both. With lower-budget indie electronic based music the line gets blurry, and is often the same person.

Edit: "want to get the most of my mix before sending it off to mix" See what I mean?
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

Oke thanks! I had also the ssl fusion in mind. I recently got a kt76 and put a vocal through it and i was like damnn. And this is even the entry level. Will I plugins do the same, giving that wow effect? Ive been producing for 6 years now.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

On the cheap ($120 total!), I scored a mint Bellari LA-120, that was known as the "poor man's LA2A". Now that Bellari no longer makes recording equipment...
The value of it, will shoot up over time. Cool sounding unit too.
Chris
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Oke thanks! I had also the ssl fusion in mind. I recently got a kt76 and put a vocal through it and i was like damnn. And this is even the entry level. Will I plugins do the same, giving that wow effect? Ive been producing for 6 years now.
One question - if you're handing it off to someone else to mix, why would you want a mix buss processor at all?
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys,

I’m a producer(pop Rnb, edm) and want to get the most of my mix before sending it off to mix/master. What will give you that instant mojo/umph/damnnzzz factor. It’s probably possible with ITB, but it would be more time consuming.
There's a pretty good thread on this here:

Mixbus Mojo unit, what's yours?
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

My shortlist.
1073, 312, 1176, la2a, pultec.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

You forgot 3630
Chris
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
One question - if you're handing it off to someone else to mix, why would you want a mix buss processor at all?
^ This.

Otherwise, the Silver Bullet is what you're after.

Yes, there are plugins that match hardware. Check out Brighton (Opto) by London Acoustics. Whack that on your vocal (10dB GR) and you won't take it off :¬)
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I want to shape my sound as good as possible. Will be using it then on a pads bus, drums or vocals etc. Will be more of a analog sound shaping tool. Not sure if the mixer will crank that vintage drive sound full, or imenseley wider my synths in production process. And I’m a gear slut
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
I want to shape my sound as good as possible. Will be using it then on a pads bus, drums or vocals etc. Will be more of a analog sound shaping tool. Not sure if the mixer will crank that vintage drive sound full, or imenseley wider my synths in production process. And I’m a gear slut
If you want to add color I'd say tubes and transformers is a fun way to add depth and color. Saturation is also key.

Perhaps a vari-mu, a pultec style eq? I always thought HW compressors are way more fun and useful though!

Pultec followed by say a SSL style compressor wil give you all of that, tube, transformers and ofc HW ssl snap!
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
Well again, you can’t buss synths together and then hand off to the mixer, unless you really want to tie his hands! And it’s great being a Gearslut, but no point spending money on something you can’t use.

In your situation I’d either make the commitment to mix yourself and buy the gear for it, or focus on the creation and leave the mix polish to the mix engineer.

If you record vocals then obviously there’s an option for investment; if not, you might want to look at hardware synths or simply the best itb synths you can.

As a mixer, there’s some things I’d look at width wise, but really with edm you want the production to be there before mixing. I just don’t really see where outside of tracking, hardware fits into this workflow. As soon as you start processing stuff, you’re starting the mix process. Either commit to that and mix your own stuff, or work on your production chops and hand it off.

(And if you are committed to mixing yourself, there’s some great online courses to give you tips now!).
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Maniac
I'm massively biased, but many of our Camden 500 users say it does exactly this. It can give that extra "Mojo" (hence why we called it that!) that can be used on mix busses (thanks to the line level input) but can also give that extra 'something' to Mic and Hi-Z sources as it's a preamp.

The other nice thing is it has two different "Mojo" flavours - Thump and Cream, as well as a variable pot to adjust how much you are applying. So it has loads of very usable and flexible tones - all able to give you that extra "wow".
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Another great option is to have 500-series rack fitted with DIYRE colour modules, LTL Focus EQ, etc. Using saturation/shaping EQs will get you a nice already shaped sounds, which almost mixes itself.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Another great option is to have 500-series rack fitted with DIYRE colour modules, LTL Focus EQ, etc. Using saturation/shaping EQs will get you a nice already shaped sounds, which almost mixes itself.
But isnt the SSL fusion all this in one box?
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well again, you can’t buss synths together and then hand off to the mixer, unless you really want to tie his hands! And it’s great being a Gearslut, but no point spending money on something you can’t use.

In your situation I’d either make the commitment to mix yourself and buy the gear for it, or focus on the creation and leave the mix polish to the mix engineer.

If you record vocals then obviously there’s an option for investment; if not, you might want to look at hardware synths or simply the best itb synths you can.

As a mixer, there’s some things I’d look at width wise, but really with edm you want the production to be there before mixing. I just don’t really see where outside of tracking, hardware fits into this workflow. As soon as you start processing stuff, you’re starting the mix process. Either commit to that and mix your own stuff, or work on your production chops and hand it off.

(And if you are committed to mixing yourself, there’s some great online courses to give you tips now!).
Aah yeah, I understand you. But I usually sent 12 tracks to the mixer. So pads as a stem, synths, percudsion etc. I have not send all my individual stems to a mixer. And in my production process I all send these to a certain bus. End goal is ofcourse to get my mix that good that only a master engineer will need to do his work. I feel mixing is a part of production and tend to put a lot of work in that too. Perhaps that’s because I started with EDM and from Holland where you tend to get your mix as good as possible(in my experience)
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aah yeah, I understand you. But I usually sent 12 tracks to the mixer. So pads as a stem, synths, percudsion etc. I have not send all my individual stems to a mixer. And in my production process I all send these to a certain bus. End goal is ofcourse to get my mix that good that only a master engineer will need to do his work. I feel mixing is a part of production and tend to put a lot of work in that too. Perhaps that’s because I started with EDM and from Holland where you tend to get your mix as good as possible(in my experience)
- A pair of Tree Audio The Branch MKII
- Avedis KP6 for your synths before going into the branch (or your preamp of choice).
- A pair of BAE 10DC or DCF (you could also only almost use the makeup gain because it's so good.. (It has definitely a grab as a compressor)

finished sound for any source.. mic or line you'll have.

Cheu
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
That's not really mixing though..it's stem mastering! I know what you mean re EDM (I used to request all processing stripped, now I'd rather have it in place apart from vox and generic FX), but you still ideally want to be sending separate parts for best results.

Mixing in electronic music is a part of the production up to a point, but you also want to leave the mixer space, and bussing stems together doesn't really do that.

If it works for you, great, but I'd want to go one way or the other.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's not really mixing though..it's stem mastering! I know what you mean re EDM (I used to request all processing stripped, now I'd rather have it in place apart from vox and generic FX), but you still ideally want to be sending separate parts for best results.

Mixing in electronic music is a part of the production up to a point, but you also want to leave the mixer space, and bussing stems together doesn't really do that.

If it works for you, great, but I'd want to go one way or the other.
Oke thanks, had it all wrong in my head for these years Perhaps that’s something I will try to sent all the tracks!
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise View Post
I'm massively biased, but many of our Camden 500 users say it does exactly this. It can give that extra "Mojo" (hence why we called it that!) that can be used on mix busses (thanks to the line level input) but can also give that extra 'something' to Mic and Hi-Z sources as it's a preamp.

The other nice thing is it has two different "Mojo" flavours - Thump and Cream, as well as a variable pot to adjust how much you are applying. So it has loads of very usable and flexible tones - all able to give you that extra "wow".
Please correct me if I’m wrong. I thought I read in one of your product threads that the Camden 500 is not available yet and won’t be until possibly December.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbo View Post
Please correct me if I’m wrong. I thought I read in one of your product threads that the Camden 500 is not available yet and won’t be until possibly December.
Hi Cabbo,

Camden 500 started shipping October 2018! You may be thinking of our Camden EC2 which is the 2-channel standalone rackmount version of the Camden 500.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise View Post
Hi Cabbo,

Camden 500 started shipping October 2018! You may be thinking of our Camden EC2 which is the 2-channel standalone rackmount version of the Camden 500.

Thanks!

Sean
Ah yes. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
You forgot 3630
Chris
That will certainly make you go "Wow"
Old 4 weeks ago
I use a pair of Weight Tank WT-72s across my mix buss in 'line' mode. They give me plenty of mojo. Great pres too that I use to record just about everything with (brilliant on bass).

Keith.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But isnt the SSL fusion all this in one box?
“All” is too much for one box, and Colour platform has much more colors/options than Fusion, think of hardware “plugins”, you can get anything from pretty hard portastudio-like overdrive to subtle tube warming units, and then compressors, EQs... and you can get a lot of channels, not just one stereo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Oke thanks, had it all wrong in my head for these years Perhaps that’s something I will try to sent all the tracks!
If you want to get the best out of a mix engineer - definitely. I can't imagine trying to mix an EDM track without having individual control of the drum parts!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hmm... 30 posts in. Might as well get that SM7 recommendation for vocals, in now!
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search