The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What hardware will give instant “wow”
Old 13th September 2019
  #61
Gear Maniac
 

Ur talent
And ur talent
And if you overprocess
Ill send it back
Old 13th September 2019
  #62
Gear Maniac
 

Manley Vari-Mu

Game. Set. Match.
Old 13th September 2019
  #63
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
Manley Vari-Mu

Game. Set. Match.
Yes, no talent artist, no talent engineers, lame song, but with the vari-mu it will be great. Ask Bob Marley, Quincy, the Beatles, the Stones.....
Old 13th September 2019
  #64
Lives for gear
 

Gee I never knew they used the Vari-Mu.
Chris
Old 13th September 2019
  #65
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Yes, no talent artist, no talent engineers, lame song, but with the vari-mu it will be great. Ask Bob Marley, Quincy, the Beatles, the Stones.....
And the opposite is also true. If you hear, as we sometimes do, that some radio or internet hit used a 3630 or a lowball MXL condenser, or was recorded on a portastudio, it doesn’t mean that particular gear was critical to the popularity of the song.
Nor does it necessarily mean the hit was made in spite of that gear.
It simply means that often the exact gear used is largely irrelevant, as long as it is adequate to capture and pass along to the listener the artistry and talent of the people involved.
Old 13th September 2019
  #66
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Do you recommend a different mixer and master guy. Because some of them do both of these jobs.
That's where you've got to do the legwork. Listen to examples of a bunch of ME's work, and choose the one you like best at the cost that is manageable.
Old 13th September 2019
  #67
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
And the opposite is also true. If you hear, as we sometimes do, that some radio or internet hit used a 3630 or a lowball MXL condenser, or was recorded on a portastudio, it doesn’t mean that particular gear was critical to the popularity of the song.
Nor does it necessarily mean the hit was made in spite of that gear.
It simply means that often the exact gear used is largely irrelevant, as long as it is adequate to capture and pass along to the listener the artistry and talent of the people involved.
Exactly...but we can negate the talent of the people involved and extend the voodoo to include the clothes they wore and the food they ate on the day of production.
Old 13th September 2019
  #68
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Exactly...but we can negate the talent of the people involved and extend the voodoo to include the clothes they wore and the food they ate on the day of production.
Only the elite insiders know that bangers, mash, and woolens are the real secrets behind every successful UK hit.
Old 13th September 2019
  #69
Lives for gear
 

And the... Spam Spam Spam! Chris
Old 13th September 2019
  #70
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
You forgot 3630
Chris
bring back the thumbs-down feature
Old 13th September 2019
  #71
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
You forgot 3630
Chris
Best answer of the year LOL ! ! !! !
Old 14th September 2019
  #72
Lives for gear
 

Hey, it's instant "Daft Punk"-in a box!

Even Tony Visconti keeps the vintage 3630 in the rack, ready to go.
(Adele absolutely insists on one BTW)

Of course, we better not talk it up more-otherwise look out eBay/Reverb prices!
Chris
Old 14th September 2019
  #73
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Do you recommend a different mixer and master guy. Because some of them do both of these jobs.
Up until the 14th century, barbers also performed surgeries.

It is usually cheaper when your mixer "throws in" the mastering, but IMO, one of the most critical aspects of mastering is that different pair of ears. Preferably in a different space. Done properly, mastering is its own thing, just as production and mixing are each their own thing.

IMO, there is a reason why these things have evolved the way they have evolved, a reason why there are specialists in each field, and I am skeptical about the claims that the "newness" of this or that musical genre makes those specializations "obsolete". Certainly, financial constraints may be a factor, but when the budget is there, I would almost always use a dedicated mastering engineer who was a different person from my mixer.
Old 14th September 2019
  #74
Lives for gear
 

I get it, hence the "crew cut", and the surgical preparatory "bowl cut".
Chris
Old 14th September 2019
  #75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Oke thanks! This all got me a confused a bit, because I have never worked this way and send my stems for stem mastering. I use my busses as a sound shaping tool/mixing. The end goal would be to do the mixed Myself and let it only be mastered. I’ll look for some mixers.
Do you recommend a different mixer and master guy. Because some of them do both of these jobs.
Specialise to excel.

The worlds best mastering engineers don’t mix.

The worlds best mixing engineers don’t master.

They’re different jobs requiring different mindsets. I’d rather have the person who spends all his time specialising at mastering do the mastering, rather than the guy who only does it a fraction of the time.
Old 14th September 2019
  #76
Lives for gear
 

Great advice PM! (even I recognize that )
Chris
Old 14th September 2019
  #77
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
Good studio monitors and room treatment will definitely give you that wow
Old 14th September 2019
  #78
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Specialise to excel.

The worlds best mastering engineers don’t mix.

The worlds best mixing engineers don’t master.

They’re different jobs requiring different mindsets. I’d rather have the person who spends all his time specialising at mastering do the mastering, rather than the guy who only does it a fraction of the time.
Agreed. Bernie Grundman never mixes anything I bring to him.
Old 14th September 2019
  #79
Lives for gear
 

Not even Margaritas?
Chris
Old 14th September 2019
  #80
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Agreed. Bernie Grundman never mixes anything I bring to him.
I understand your point, but I’m curious as to whether you actually work with Bernie Grundman or are using a famous name to make your point.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump