The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What hardware will give instant “wow”
Old 1 week ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Hey guys,

I’m a producer(pop Rnb, edm) and want to get the most of my mix before sending it off to mix/master. What will give you that instant mojo/umph/damnnzzz factor. It’s probably possible with ITB, but it would be more time consuming.
Thanks!
"You" don't do anything. That's why you're gonna send it somewhere to be mixed. "They" are gonna do the "factor".

Which of course is why you are going to send your multitracks to someone who routinely does wow mixes.....is charging you a boatload cuz they're really good and you've already heard their commercial.....commercial.....mixes...and love how they've mixed stuff similar to yours.

When your stellar mix comes back to you....you're then going to send it to a mastering house....following roughly the same guidelines as for the mix guy.

If....with all that professional handling....your tracks....suck....welll....that's for another thread.

If your returned tracks are stellar....you'll realize that "you" didn't have to second-guess anything.

Just reiterating what's already been said.
Old 1 week ago
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Could we hear any of the OP's recordings?
Chris
Old 1 week ago
  #33
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
"You" don't do anything. That's why you're gonna send it somewhere to be mixed. "They" are gonna do the "factor".

Which of course is why you are going to send your multitracks to someone who routinely does wow mixes.....is charging you a boatload cuz they're really good and you've already heard their commercial.....commercial.....mixes...and love how they've mixed stuff similar to yours.

When your stellar mix comes back to you....you're then going to send it to a mastering house....following roughly the same guidelines as for the mix guy.

If....with all that professional handling....your tracks....suck....welll....that's for another thread.

If your returned tracks are stellar....you'll realize that "you" didn't have to second-guess anything.

Just reiterating what's already been said.
But i dont understand this philosophie.. It’s the producers task to get the track as good as possible as he can? Mixing is also shaping the sound? I see a mixer just to polish the track. It’s best if the mixer does the last 10% instead of 40% imho
Old 1 week ago
  #34
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
If you want to get the best out of a mix engineer - definitely. I can't imagine trying to mix an EDM track without having individual control of the drum parts!
I send over normally: kick, snare/claps, percussion, hihats/shakers. These are all shaped to my taste through an aux
Old 1 week ago
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
But i dont understand this philosophie.. It’s the producers task to get the track as good as possible as he can? Mixing is also shaping the sound? I see a mixer just to polish the track. It’s best if the mixer does the last 10% instead of 40% imho
Sure but if you're not sending separated parts, you're not letting someone mix. You're completely tying their hands. If you ARE sending separate parts, why do you need buss processing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
I send over normally: kick, snare/claps, percussion, hihats/shakers. These are all shaped to my taste through an aux
Well that's great, but what if the hats are too loud compared to the shakers? what if the clap needs to be wide, but the snare is good? It's limiting - as opposed to everything as it sounds, but separated.

It's just difficult to recommend you what buss processor you should be purchasing if in reality, you probably shouldn't be using any buss processing in what you're sending off to be mixed!
Old 1 week ago
  #36
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Sure but if you're not sending separated parts, you're not letting someone mix. You're completely tying their hands. If you ARE sending separate parts, why do you need buss processing?



Well that's great, but what if the hats are too loud compared to the shakers? what if the clap needs to be wide, but the snare is good? It's limiting - as opposed to everything as it sounds, but separated.

It's just difficult to recommend you what buss processor you should be purchasing if in reality, you probably shouldn't be using any buss processing in what you're sending off to be mixed!
Yeah I understand you completeley. If i dont feel comfortable with the hats shakers or snare clap mix I will send them seperately. But I think its a part of my production style to send groups to a bus and process them together there too. So best is to get a Wow compressor, Eq that will influence a single channel then?
Old 1 week ago
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Yeah I understand you completeley. If i dont feel comfortable with the hats shakers or snare clap mix I will send them seperately. But I think its a part of my production style to send groups to a bus and process them together there too. So best is to get a Wow compressor, Eq that will influence a single channel then?
I think PsychoMonkey are on point.

If i say have 4 different kicks that make up one sound i would not have a problem bounce it out as a stereo sound.

Shakers, HH etc not so much since that can easily get out of control when applying eq, compression etc for the mixer.

A good pop production should sound very good when levels are set since its all about stacking the right things. You need more shimmer? Just add a bright pad etc.

A good production, a good premix will give a top mixer the best preconditions to make an awesome mix. Why tie there hands in an unnecessary way?


I'd invest in a top chain for vocals since that is the most important factor of a pop song
Old 1 week ago
  #38
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
I think PsychoMonkey are on point.

If i say have 4 different kicks that make up one sound i would not have a problem bounce it out as a stereo sound.

Shakers, HH etc not so much since that can easily get out of control when applying eq, compression etc for the mixer.

A good pop production should sound very good when levels are set since its all about stacking the right things. You need more shimmer? Just add a bright pad etc.

A good production, a good premix will give a top mixer the best preconditions to make an awesome mix. Why tie there hands in an unnecessary way?


I'd invest in a top chain for vocals since that is the most important factor of a pop song
Yeah true, I track vocals myself and have invested deeply for this! Just thought of perhaps something to give my production a next level sound. Because till now I havent had a real wow mix/master back. But that’s also the budget perhaps
Old 1 week ago
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Yeah true, I track vocals myself and have invested deeply for this! Just thought of perhaps something to give my production a next level sound. Because till now I havent had a real wow mix/master back. But that’s also the budget perhaps
Ok! What do you use for vocals? Since i got a high-end chain, recently bought a cl1b and it's even more fun.

You might be able to stem mix it if you have a long lasting relationship with the same mixer. Getting some feedback on how to improve is also very valuable. Maybe try out a few different mixers. You really don't have to spend crazy amount on a mix if the production is solid. I know a few in the 4-800$ that have very good credentials, and ofc do solid work.

Would be fun if you would post some of your songs. If you want to be anonymous you could PM.
Old 1 week ago
  #40
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Ok! What do you use for vocals? Since i got a high-end chain, recently bought a cl1b and it's even more fun.

You might be able to stem mix it if you have a long lasting relationship with the same mixer. Getting some feedback on how to improve is also very valuable. Maybe try out a few different mixers. You really don't have to spend crazy amount on a mix if the production is solid. I know a few in the 4-800$ that have very good credentials, and ofc do solid work.

Would be fun if you would post some of your songs. If you want to be anonymous you could PM.
I recently got a manley ref c > 1073lb > cl1b(coming next week). But the works I will post are already mixed and masterd by people, or that doesnt matter?
Old 1 week ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Nowadays, a relative bargain is a nice/used U89i.
Good complement, to your brighter "C".
Chris
Old 1 week ago
  #42
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
an SSL 9080K does it for me (mix after mix)
Old 1 week ago
  #43
Old 1 week ago
  #44
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
I’ve heard they use this on Alex Trebec’s mic for certain segments.
Old 1 week ago
  #45
Lives for gear
 

So it's a plugin?
Chris
Old 1 week ago
  #46
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
So it's a plugin?
Chris
No, it’s a palindrome.
Old 1 week ago
  #47
Lives for gear
 

"Able was I saw Elba". (Napoleon-not the ice cream!)
Chris
Old 1 week ago
  #48
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
No, it’s a palindrome.
Palindrome. Wasn't he the hero of the Old West TV show, "Have Gun Will Travel?"
Chris
Old 1 week ago
  #49
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Palindrome. Wasn't he the hero of the Old West TV show, "Have Gun Will Travel?"
Chris
THAT was totally unexpected.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have today’s winner (unless it’s already tomorrow where you are, then for you we have yesterday’s winner!)!
Old 1 week ago
  #50
Gear Maniac
 

Neve 33609 can work wonders.
Old 1 week ago
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
THAT was totally unexpected.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have today’s winner (unless it’s already tomorrow where you are, then for you we have yesterday’s winner!)!


BTW Probably my favorite Album Title is... "As Safe As Yesterday Is" by Humble Pie. They actually played the "Hippodrome", in November 1974!
Chris
Old 1 week ago
  #52
Gear Nut
 

But what part of a track , vocals, pads, guitars etc will need the best processing/hardware to make your track pop. For sure everything will count, but a compressor/eq that will give wow on Drums or Vocals will be the best perhaps. Will an Api 2500 do more good then a 1176( I got the kt-76 and already amazes me on vocals) for a mix?
Old 1 week ago
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
But what part of a track , vocals, pads, guitars etc will need the best processing/hardware to make your track pop. For sure everything will count, but a compressor/eq that will give wow on Drums or Vocals will be the best perhaps. Will an Api 2500 do more good then a 1176( I got the kt-76 and already amazes me on vocals) for a mix?
HW is usually like 10% better then ITB so the best thing is to demo a plugin because that will give you a good indication of what you will like.

I really like ssl bus compressor and use it on snare, kick, busses etc. Sounds good on vocals too!

Still if you're mainly working with software synths, drum samples etc transformers and tubes certainly adds more then kissing buscompressor 1-4dbs. The more you push stuff the better HW is. You will definitely hear that pushing your Cl1b :D
Old 1 week ago
  #54
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Hey guys,

I’m a producer(pop Rnb, edm) and want to get the most of my mix before sending it off to mix/master. What will give you that instant mojo/umph/damnnzzz factor. It’s probably possible with ITB, but it would be more time consuming.
TALENT....the talent of all concerned from artist/musician to mixer and everybody else involved....Gear don't work wonders, the people in front of and behind the gear can use it to create wonderful things.
Old 1 week ago
  #55
Lives for gear
 
bitman's Avatar
Drop a Pre 73 Jr on your toe.

Wow!

That said, it's a lot of big tone for $200 -ish bucks on eBay.
Old 1 week ago
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
I have to go with the Eventide 9000.
Old 1 week ago
  #57
Gear Guru
Honestly if you got to someone professional they will have better tools and ears than you. You're putting a heavy coat of varnish on the painting that they won't be able to remove. Do that stuff in tracking and then work with your mixer if you didn't nail it. I do use stem mastering because I found a guy that can recreate my reference mixes much better, and I can use my money to buy better musicians. There is no "right" way but limiting someone before they start isn't great. They will also waste time figuring out if they can use your processed or clean tracks.

I work with editors all the time and know what I like. I always stay out of the way and give them the boundaries if there are any and stay out of the way. I try to apply that to music so I don't get a pair of hands waiting for me to guide them.....don't dictate what your vision is up front unless they aren't getting it.....or you have a very good idea of exactly what you want.
Old 1 week ago
  #58
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I’ve heard they use this on Alex Trebec’s mic for certain segments.
Could you please phrase that as a question...
Old 1 week ago
  #59
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Hey guys,

I’m a producer(pop Rnb, edm) and want to get the most of my mix before sending it off to mix/master. What will give you that instant mojo/umph/damnnzzz factor. It’s probably possible with ITB, but it would be more time consuming.
Thanks!
Instant mojo/umph/damnnzzz is pretty subjective stuff. I might suggest that you do it with plugs, and satisfy your own personal mojo. One box will not fit every individual element in your track, although something like an SSL buss comp might fit and nicely benefit an entire finished mix.

So, maybe just mix it yourself and send your mix to be mastered? Or as PM suggests, send the individual tracks to a mixer, and forget about adding that umbrella mojo yourself. But what if the mixer doesn't deliver your flavor of "mojo/umph/damnnzzz factor?"

I'd say learn to do your own full mix and spend the contractor money on mastering. Or... forget about mixing altogether, and send all individual tracks to be mixed by a pro. Just my opinion on the most efficient way to proceed.
Old 1 week ago
  #60
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Instant mojo/umph/damnnzzz is pretty subjective stuff. I might suggest that you do it with plugs, and satisfy your own personal mojo. One box will not fit every individual element in your track, although something like an SSL buss comp might fit and nicely benefit an entire finished mix.

So, maybe just mix it yourself and send your mix to be mastered? Or as PM suggests, send the individual tracks to a mixer, and forget about adding that umbrella mojo yourself. But what if the mixer doesn't deliver your flavor of "mojo/umph/damnnzzz factor?"

I'd say learn to do your own full mix and spend the contractor money on mastering. Or... forget about mixing altogether, and send all individual tracks to be mixed by a pro. Just my opinion on the most efficient way to proceed.
Oke thanks! This all got me a confused a bit, because I have never worked this way and send my stems for stem mastering. I use my busses as a sound shaping tool/mixing. The end goal would be to do the mixed Myself and let it only be mastered. I’ll look for some mixers.
Do you recommend a different mixer and master guy. Because some of them do both of these jobs.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump