The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
EQP1 or LA2A? (both clones)
Old 26th August 2019
Here for the gear

EQP1 or LA2A? (both clones)

Hi there,

Obviously new here. Been lurking a long time, but I want to get more serious with my producing, so here I am.

Mostly recording vocals, electric/acoustic guitar, electric bass, synth, and reamping with a Fender HRDv 410. Mostly pop/hip-hop and electronic.

Current tracking rig: C414 B-ULS/C214/SM7B -> Warm WA73EQ -> WA76 -> Scarlett 18i20 all hooked up to a patchbay. If I use the SM7B, I send it through a Cloudlifter first. WA73EQ tone and EQ buttons in always. I find I have to often turn off the mid band or else it accentuates a hum (ground lift the 73? Maybe the plastic Behringer P1000 patchbay?).

I try to keep the GR under 7db, and I've been getting decent results. I've tried doing some serial compression with old dbx 166/166a/266xl boxes, but they're all kind of noisy and I didn't like it.

I love the mojo the 1176 provides. Volume and punch to my ears. I'm wondering if I should get an EQP1 style EQ for subtractive eq as preamp insert before/adding saturation and boost after 1176 OR if I should get an LA2A style for the classic 76>2A chain?

I'm getting both eventually, but which will help my sound more in the long run. My stuff sounds good, but I want it to sound bigger and warmer! And I think one of these will help me push it there. BTW, I'm almost certainly going to get the Warm versions of both the eq and comp, but I might try the Klark-Teknik KT2A before the WA2A, just to see what an opto comp is like.

THANK YOU for any replies. And please don't just say "use your ears" or "whichever you like best". I know. Humor me.
Old 26th August 2019
Old 27th August 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you!

I'm thinking I'll give a little musical EQ a try first.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search