The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Right side sounds louder than left side - LCD-X
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Right side sounds louder than left side - LCD-X

Hi! I just got a B-stock version of LCD-X from Thomann and apart from them sounding really great otherwise, I discovered that the right side seem to sound louder than left side making the stereo sound seem to be more to the right rather than in the middle if that makes sense.

I have Audient iD14 since several years back as interface and right now these settings make it so it sounds "center stereo" for me:

Picture shows how I configured now to make sound seem "centered" in stereo for my LCD-X (Notice L=100 and R=60). However, when I put on my DT880 Pro 250, as expected, the stereo audio sounds more to the left.

Connection-wise the right (red-sleeve?) connector is connected to R and the left (black-sleeve?) is connected to the L. These are mini 4-pin XLR to TRS-cables.

Could it be those? Could these LCD-X in fact be defective which is why they were returned from the first customer and now I bought a pair of defective LCD-X from Thomann?

As said, I checked with DT880 Pro (which I have been using until I got these puppies today) and they sound center in stereo with L=100 and R=100 in configuration (standard config).

Luckily, I did keep the package they came in and it is claimed they have 3 years warranty still so I should be able to send them back for full refund or maybe get a new pair that shouldn't be defective?

I would hope that the cables are only defective, but I don't have an extra spare of those kinds of cables because they are highly unusual to say the least. So, what is most likely: defective mini 4-pin XLR->TRS cables or defective LCD-X due to being B-Stock?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Have you tried swapping the cables around to see if the problem follows?
You may just be getting a cold.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Splinter View Post
Have you tried swapping the cables around to see if the problem follows?
You may just be getting a cold.
Yo! That seems to have worked. Sounds more center now with L=100 and R=100. I was under the impression that red sleeve = R and black sleeve = L.

Or I might just be unused to the perfect sound placement in headphones these headphones offer? I have no clue. And yes, I might be developing a cold, but I don't really feel it though.
Old 1 hour ago
Here for the gear

Alright, update: I will return these as they seem to have QC issues as well as the retailer I purchased them from. After all, they are B-stock so someone returned them before me, must have experienced same uneven sound issue as well...

Now, it is not like it is completely dead on left side, but it is somewhat tilted to the right and also behind my back right ear. I quickly switched between these and DT880 Pro 250 to see if it is my ears but I must still conclude there seems to be issues with this pair of LCD-X headphones unfortunately.

Edit: Oh snap. I also realized another issue: even if I set MONO mode for these headphones in Audient iD14 so both channels are "centered", I can still hear the somewhat "tilt to the right behind right ear"-sound.

As I keep searching for "LCD-X issues" online I realize that these are more common than you would expect for something of this caliber price-wise. I do not want to have to go through possible hassle with high-end gear if I can find other high-end gear that are less likely to mess me.

Also as someone else pointed out in another thread when I talked about upgrading headphones, "they aren't really an upgrade" due to physical limitations of getting regular studio speakers in that kind of a size. You just can't get a pair of S3V in headphones even if you pay the same price of $4-5K.

Anyhow, my rant ends here as I will return these pair tomorrow. It was cool to try out so called "Hifi headphones" but it seems like we are just fooling ourselves believing we can defeat mother physics of audio.

Sry, but I feel like I paid more for the "brand boasting" rather than actual high-end gear.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search