The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
All around monitors - genelec 8040 vs kh120 vs adam a7x a77x yamaha hs, krk v series?
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

All around monitors - genelec 8040 vs kh120 vs adam a7x a77x yamaha hs, krk v series?

I am looking for new monitors at any price really (i dont want to get too expensive maybee under 5 or 3k price range)

I need something that is an all arounder,

I love my avantone mixcubes and need something to pair them with.

I currently use krk rockit 6 with the 10inch sub, but i need something that will give me a more precise view on the mix as far as imaging for mastering and mixing, something that translates better.

Anything that is better than the krk rockit 6 is fine but id like to get the best i can out of the options that are out there.

Right now im looking at

-neumann kh120
-neumann kh310
-genelec 8040
-adams 7x
-adams 77x
-krk v series (size?)
-yamaha hs series (size?)
-focal twin (are they worth it?)
-dynaudio lyd 48

Are there others?
Yea my room is treated but not too well please dont tell me i just gotta treat my room hehe

I dont really want to have multiple monitors right now other than these and the mixcubes.

I would use these for mastering and mixing, also some production, not for listening.

I kinda want something popular that you would see in a lot of studios, not something rare you know?

What would you pick?

Any advice would mean a lot thanks
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Im thinking the genelecs would be a decent upgrade. Ive heard a lot about those. The neumann kh 310 would be nice but im worries they arent great for midfield. The kh120 seem to make the most sence but i think id rather have something with a bigger woofer for all around use.

I just need something i can trust to do mixes on so that if there is something wrong with mix i know its not the monitors its just me not using them right, that type of thing.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

in my experience, the traditional adage "you get what you pay for" has never been more true than in the world of studio monitors. I haven't heard every speaker and I'd love to be proven wrong, but if you really are able to spend more, you're going to get MORE. more definition and clarity, more articulation and better stereo imaging.

The KH310's have been a favorite of mine, but they're a very polarizing sound. Being one of very few sealed cabinet designs, they're INCREDIBLY punchy in the low end - this can be really helpful if you adjust to it but to many people this punch and tightness is abrasive.
If you were able to hear a variety of the speakers you've listed all back to back so that you could truly compare them, it would REALLY leave you wondering what "accurate" really means. I can't decide if the kh310's are scooped in the low mids or if the Twin6's are bloated in that area for instance, but it's always good to think through how these differences would impact your mixing choices... I often struggle with bloat there, so having speakers that already sound a bit thicker in the 3 to 500Hz range might force me to work harder to tighten up that area.

You'll be floored by the added level of clarity and definition from any of the Neumann/Focal/Genelec/Adam/Dyn options that are above the $1500 mark (again, you get what you pay for), so have hope! you wouldn't be making a truly wrong decision with any of those, though if you have the opportunity to hear some of them against each other you'll find a pair that's more right than the others.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

The KRK V6S4 with your sub to fill in the very low end would be perfect for rock and metal. I would think about the V8 for more electronic music or if you do not want to use your sub. The presence region suffers compared to the V6. They're both better than the comparable Adam, Dyn, and Yamaha stuff.

KH310 are good but boring and too reserved. Genelec 8040, I do not like that much but it is a decent speaker if you like it and can get results with it. I hate Focals...
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thank you both. Im thinking about going with some ns10s and genelec 8040. But i almost think its overkill. I love how the adams a77x look but i feel like they would be a dumb decision given the other options.

I like the idea of the krk v6 that seems like a smart choice. But something about those genelecs...

Could ns10s alone suit my needs? Or would i need something to go along with them. Maybe just get them after these monitors? Kinda defeats the purpose of all around monitors haha
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Mostly mixing and producing pop music by the way.

One of my main concerns is getting the genelec 8040 or krk v6 or neumann kh120 and later being like “damn i shoulda got some 3 way monitors” any advice or wisdom?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoots View Post
Mostly mixing and producing pop music by the way.

One of my main concerns is getting the genelec 8040 or krk v6 or neumann kh120 and later being like “damn i shoulda got some 3 way monitors” any advice or wisdom?
There’s no point in playing the eBay lottery to get get NS10m now. The Avantone clones are nastier than the real thing too.

Three way crossover speakers can extend lower while maintaining the presence region unlike all 8” two way monitors I have tried but you sacrifice detail and coherency due to the additional crossover while needing to sit further back to get the additional driver to blend. There is no free lunch. I know some guys who prefer the KH120 to the 310 due to that. I strongly prefer two-way monitors myself.

You can’t go wrong with any of the monitors you just listed but you might want to check out the V8 too if you need the extension to 40hz and below. Be wary of metal dome and AMT tweeters too. Definitely try before you buy. All of those are fairly easy to try yourself. I do not like how the Genelec, Adam, and Neumann K&H stuff translates personally (I only do metal and guitar rock) but hey I’m not you.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
There’s no point in playing the eBay lottery to get get NS10m now. The Avantone clones are nastier than the real thing too.

Three way crossover speakers can extend lower while maintaining the presence region unlike all 8” two way monitors I have tried but you sacrifice detail and coherency due to the additional crossover while needing to sit further back to get the additional driver to blend. There is no free lunch. I know some guys who prefer the KH120 to the 310 due to that. I strongly prefer two-way monitors myself.

You can’t go wrong with any of the monitors you just listed but you might want to check out the V8 too if you need the extension to 40hz and below. Be wary of metal dome and AMT tweeters too. Definitely try before you buy. All of those are fairly easy to try yourself. I do not like how the Genelec, Adam, and Neumann K&H stuff translates personally (I only do metal and guitar rock) but hey I’m not you.
Just curious, for mixing *and* mastering would you prefer the v6 or the v8 if you were using the 10 inch sub?
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

I think for my situation them genelec 8040 would be just fine. Also later in if i want some reference i could go with some yamaha ns10. Also avantone makes the cla 10 in an active format which is just a great idea. Wonder if thats any good, they make the mixcube and i love that thing.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

In my opinion, I think a great 3-way monitor will trump a great 2-way monitor, any of day of the week. But a good or just decent 2-way can run circles around a good/decent 3-way. Having a 2-way plus sub is essentially a 3-way system already. Just things to take into consideration.

I've heard great things about Avantone's Abbey monitors. I was actually saving to purchase them, but they're going to be discontinued soon. They can be had for around $1000 per monitor. But between the Neumann's or Genelec's, you'll be fine either way, once your room is properly treated.
Old 22 hours ago
Here for the gear

Hmm interesting i guess your right... that sort of makes the kh120 look better with a sub. Almost like having a 3 way monitor with a 1” tweeter with 5” and 10” woofers.. with the sub i mean.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search