The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mono OH drum mic for small room
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Mono OH drum mic for small room

I have a small room (8“ x 10“) with low ceiling (7“) and am looking for a minimal setup like BD + Mono OH to record drums, mostly jazz.

Beyer M160 seems like a good option with hypercardioid pattern for this kind of setting - but how well does a directional ribbon work as mono OH (it’s a small kit)?

Coles 4038 many guys are raving about, but can Figure 8 be made to work in such a small room?

Or any other options I should consider?

Thanks!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

I just bought a well-priced pair of Beyer M160s because I liked my single one on OH so much. And there are a lot of good reviews for them as OH mics for small rooms on Gearslutz. Coincidentally I know a guy who has one for sale for a good price.
Old 2 days ago
M160 is a fabulous mono overhead, regardless of room size. DO IT!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
+1 on the m160 OH in small rooms. I'd venture to say that anything that picks up more room is counterproductive in this situation. The 160 manages to sound balanced while being really pretty close to the kit. Unique in my experience.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_space View Post
I have a small room (8“ x 10“) with low ceiling (7“) and am looking for a minimal setup like BD + Mono OH to record drums, mostly jazz.

Beyer M160 seems like a good option with hypercardioid pattern for this kind of setting - but how well does a directional ribbon work as mono OH (it’s a small kit)?

Coles 4038 many guys are raving about, but can Figure 8 be made to work in such a small room?

Or any other options I should consider?

Thanks!
Even with a 160, you should consider "eliminating" the low ceiling with absorption. Its just going to be a thorn in your side.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

It’s going to be tough getting an M160 into a 7 inch high room, haha. In a 7’ high room there will be different challenges, depending on the ceiling material, etc. Hypercardioid is great for rejecting rear reflections but you’ll have to experiment with different OH height to find the sweet spot. Too close to the ceiling and things get weird. I had been using a pair of 160’s on OH but lately switched to a single OH and am really liking it. Seven and a half foot ceiling here, OH is about 42” above the snare.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Even with a 160, you should consider "eliminating" the low ceiling with absorption. Its just going to be a thorn in your side.
This is sage advice. I’ve been setup in this small room for about 8 years. The wash of reflections bouncing around the kit is insurmountable. Finally I invested in materials and time to do a thorough treatment and the difference was stunning. Still a small room though but at least I have it under control now and can hear the kit so much better.
Old 2 days ago
Coles always sound good! Big fan. It just has a way of putting the emphasis on kick and snare then cymbals
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

With a ceiling that low, first thing I'd try is an omni right up against the ceiling a la faux-pzm. It might suck, or you might get lucky.

Otherwise I'd probably put up as deep and dense of a cloud as you can manage and tolerate, and try to remember not to stand up straight after a take.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Thanks so much for all your replies and advice, much appreciated.

Just took the plunge and ordered an M160! Can’t wait to put it to use, and to also experiment with ceiling treatment and mic placement...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Coles 4038

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search