The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Klark Teknik KT2A or Warm Audio WA-2A?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Klark Teknik KT2A or Warm Audio WA-2A?

So tomorrow is my birthday!

I want to buy an Opto-compressor to go alongside my 1073 Preamp. I plan on tube swapping them. Originally I wanted to DIY it but it'll be kind of inconvenient to get my wife to buy all those parts for me.

Which of these compressors do you guys think is a better buy?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Awesome wife! Happy Birthday!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenley89 View Post
Awesome wife! Happy Birthday!
Thanks man! She is
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Audio scape LA2A is the right thing to get.

Between Warm and KT. I prefer KT because of no wall warts.

When I asked revive about moded 1176's they stated: KT is better out of the box, warm was better after the mod. Don't know if that also applies to 2A clones.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post

When I asked revive about moded 1176's they stated: KT is better out of the box, warm was better after the mod. Don't know if that also applies to 2A clones.
That one is my preferred one but those units go on sale and sale out in seconds apparently. Try getting my wife to to do that

As far as the 1176 goes. I hear that the KT76 is a closer representation of the real unit. When I worked in at an upscale studio in Manhattan I remember testing out different compressors to see which one was my favorite for Vocals. Out of what was a available at the time I ended up liking the Distressor and putting it on 10:1 Opto but instead of having the attack on 10 I had it on 7 which really helped clean things up. I remember the UA 1176's we had were pretty dark.

The reason I bring that up is because that's what I hear some people complaining about the KT-1176. Some people perferred Warm WA76 because it was brighter. One thing the Blackface 1176 is not is bright so there may be so weight to what you are saying. That unit is honestly a steal in that case
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Happy birthday! Isn't budget an issue? The KT is a lot cheaper. In Europe at least, the wa2a is 3x the price of the KT.

Anyway, I own the KT-2A and I think its a great piece of gear regardless the price. Thinking to get another one to stereo-link them. Haven't listened to the wa2a.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
Happy birthday! Isn't budget an issue? The KT is a lot cheaper. In Europe at least, the wa2a is 3x the price of the KT.

Anyway, I own the KT-2A and I think its a great piece of gear regardless the price. Thinking to get another one to stereo-link them. Haven't listened to the wa2a.
Well I love saving money but i'm also a believer in spending more on what will make me happy in the long run. Too many times I spent money on something just to resell it to pay for a unit that's more expensive.

Right now i'm leaning towards a Klark Teknik KT-1176. Not an opto compressor but it impressed the **** out of me
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentimiento View Post
Well I love saving money but i'm also a believer in spending more on what will make me happy in the long run. Too many times I spent money on something just to resell it to pay for a unit that's more expensive.

Right now i'm leaning towards a Klark Teknik KT-1176. Not an opto compressor but it impressed the **** out of me
I agree with your thinking . By the way, the KT-2A impressed me more than the KT-76 (I own both).
Old 6 days ago
I did not like the Wa2a when I demoed it. Either to much or to little GR. Flimsy. Felt sturdy though, haven't tried the KT. From various demos I think no clone gets the release right like the original.

Just bought a tubetech cl1b and it's glorious. See if you can demo both (WA and kt) and see which one you prefer
Old 6 days ago
I tried both and wasn't too impressed with either. Both sounded way too clean for a 2A type comp. I also had an ART VLA at the time and thought the ART had more vibe than either the Warm 2A or the KT 2A.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

How about the IGS Audio LA 500?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I prefer the kt2a personally. It isn't an LA2a I don't think but it is a very decent sounding unit that is only underlined by the very affordable price. Wa2a is nice too but less weight I think.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Haven't compared it to others but the Golden age Comp2a which is an LA2a clone in circuit but not looks is quite nice sounding.

The Comp2a is a half rack unit with an internal power supply, it looks like an LA3 which they also make a copy called the Comp3a.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I had a WA-2A then bought a KT-2A and found the initial difference, at least with these units was, the WA-2A clamped down on the initial attacks more, noticeable in percussion or vocal sibilance. So the WA-2A ends up sounding "softer" and actually makes it a unique compressor. This certainly can be desirable but the WA-2A is further away than the original in this regard.

It sounds minor but it's actually a pretty big difference and after getting the KT-2A I sold the WA-2A and bought a second KT-2A.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post

whats everybodies problem with wall warts?! its just a cable. sound is more important. my gear is in the rack, the power cable gets touched once when installing and thats it! so i really dont care if its wall wart or an atomic cable.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
whats everybodies problem with wall warts?! its just a cable. sound is more important. my gear is in the rack, the power cable gets touched once when installing and thats it! so i really dont care if its wall wart or an atomic cable.
Well if you end up with say seven things with a wall wart, it becomes a bit of a hassle to plug everything in. I hear ya though. It's not that big of a deal and you can get those little short extension cords to deal with it.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
If it gets you a good piece of gear for a good price than great, I even own some but Im certainly not a fan of the wallwart and line lump power supplies..

1. The connectors on devices that use wallwart are often crap. Its common that in budget gear, and some of it can even cost several hundred bucks that the power connector is a wimpy futzy thing that barely hangs on and only gets worse as the piece grows older.

2. A good wallwart for something like a micpreamp is quite heavy and needs to be well secured if it lives in a rack with the gear. If you move your stuff around regularly or even one unlucky time you may have a heavy wallwart crashing around inside your rack or you need to pull them and transport seperately every time you move stuff which is also annoying.

3. You have to be careful of placement of wallwarts because many of them give off some pretty serious electro magnetic fields. My Golden Age micpreamp's wallwart can put noise into the signal if a mic cable is within a foot or so of it. Dynamic mics that dont have humbucking coils can also pick up noise from it as much as two feet away!

Last edited by JLast; 5 days ago at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Additional info

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search