The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Options for Expanding Focusrite 8pre via ADAT
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Options for Expanding Focusrite 8pre via ADAT

I've run out of inputs on my Focusrite Clarett 8pre (thunderbolt 2) and looking to expand this via ADAT and get another 8inputs

My original plan was to do this with a second hand Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 as 6 months ago there were a few of these floating around for $200-$300 AUD. Now that i'm ready to buy, I can't find any at a reasonable price/in good condition so looking for other options.

The inputs will be used solely for synths so I believe the pre-amps don't need to be anything fancy.

I was looking at the Behringer ADA8200 as I know that's a popular option with good reviews but I have two problems with this 1) The inputs are on the front (and I'm anal ) 2) it doesn't have metering on the front like the focusrite does.

So looking for a few recommendations

Thanks

Last edited by mobofunk; 5 days ago at 12:18 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
If you need just inputs over ADAT, why not Octopre?

Michal
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Drop $100 and grab a used ADA8000 while you're deciding..

..You may find you won't need anything else.

And just so you know, there is a lack of "Cheap" ADAT expanders out there, it's quite amusing that all these budget interfaces tout "ADAT EXPANDABLE!" As a feature....yet leave so many asking...."WITH WHAT?!?!"

The low-end is ruled by Berringer. The ADA 8000/82000....next up is the Focusrite stuff....after that you get to Audient units (2 of them)...And after that you are in the $3000 + range.

I have Audients and they are fine...but I also have an ADA8000...which to be honest...is equally as "Fine"

It's not exactly the same, but the difference is not significant, and really....a matter of taste.

I would say the slightly more expensive Focusright stuff might be a waste of money, I really don't know what they would add.

I would suggest dropping $100 or $3000 +

Anything in between is kind of "no-man's land"
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
If you need just inputs over ADAT, why not Octopre?

Michal
Cost.. Which terrible.dee has kind of answered in more detail

I have no problem sticking the ADA8000/ADA8200 in my rack, I'm not a non-behringer snob BUT as per my original post the Behringer's inputs are on the front which will be messy and annoy me and it doesn't have metering.

I'm really looking for some second hand/older units I can search for. I know of the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and the Motu 8pre. Any other recommendations?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobofunk View Post
Cost.. Which terrible.dee has kind of answered in more detail
But it's not more expensive than used Saffire. There are three gens. of Octopre. You can spot it sometimes ranging from 150 USD.
I personally like them as budget pres/converters.

Michal
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
But it's not more expensive than used Saffire. There are three gens. of Octopre. You can spot it sometimes ranging from 150 USD.
I personally like them as budget pres/converters.

Michal
Do you mean the scarlet pre? Weirdly, because Australia is such a small market, theres currently only two of these for sale second hand and they are listed at a higher price then the handful of Saffire Pro 40's (which are also over priced atm)

Second hand market here is often flakey, just no liquidity and atm it's bad for this stuff it seems.. But i'm currently in the market.

Unless i'm looking in the wrong places (gumtree, ebay, facebook marketplace, reverb.com) - Other aussies here?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

If you can find a used Mackie Onyx 800R you'll be very happy. $100-$300.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobofunk View Post
Do you mean the scarlet pre? Weirdly, because Australia is such a small market, theres currently only two of these for sale second hand and they are listed at a higher price then the handful of Saffire Pro 40's (which are also over priced atm)

Second hand market here is often flakey, just no liquidity and atm it's bad for this stuff it seems.. But i'm currently in the market.

Unless i'm looking in the wrong places (gumtree, ebay, facebook marketplace, reverb.com) - Other aussies here?
Hi,

I've meant generally Octopre range of converters/preamps by Focusrite.
As I've said, they made three generations in this lineup with several variations.

The first one has silver faceplate (they called it platinum range), class-a discrete mic pres, opto compressors at every channel and line inputs on DB-25. Digital output cards (AES/ADAT or just ADAT) were optional, so if you stumble upon this model (which is still pretty nice IMO), be sure it's fitted with one of those card. There was also LE model with two blue VUs, but I've never used it.
Btw. I still have few from platinum range, it still works well after 15y or so.

The second gen. has dark exterior, opamp based pres, combo XLR connectors with line TRS inside. It was basically the same as Saffire Pro 40 sans audio interface and monitoring section. Octopre Dynamics model further added per-channel VCA comp and also D/A section (so it has also ADAT input).

The current Octopre models are either based on Scarlett or more expensive Clarett. The first is with either simple with A/Ds or Dynamics model with compressor and D/As. Clarett model is without compressors, but features D/As and that Air thing.

I'm pretty sure, you could find one of them at used market, I can see them quite often.. (talking generally, I haven't checked, what you can get in AU right now , and don't know about fees, taxes etc. there).. when buying used, it's sometimes worth of wait before something pops up.

Depending on particular model, its condition etc. you can it get pretty cheap and it's IMO still very usable for channel expansion of some other interface via ADAT.
The advantage of standalone converter compared to some older full-blown audio interface like Saffire is, it's working without computer and you don't need firewire to set it up. Because if such interface loose its settings for any reason (reset of its internal memory), you can't set required routing again without FW port and full driver installation.

And btw. I don't fully agree with terrible.dee, that situation is basically - to either get the Behringer ADA as cheapest option and then straight jump to say 1000+ EUR converter as a next step, which makes sense.
There are models in between, which can bring advantages over ADA and are worth of checking. By advantages I don't mean just, you'll necessarily perceive better audio quality for your situation. But there can be also better ergonomics, control, features.. etc.
And of course also other vendors has similar products like Focusrite, for example Presonus has its range of DigiMax FS converters, already mentioned Mackie.. etc.

All the best,

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 3 days ago at 11:13 AM.. Reason: English, phone :)
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Drop $100 and grab a used ADA8000 while you're deciding..

..You may find you won't need anything else.

And just so you know, there is a lack of "Cheap" ADAT expanders out there, it's quite amusing that all these budget interfaces tout "ADAT EXPANDABLE!" As a feature....yet leave so many asking...."WITH WHAT?!?!"

The low-end is ruled by Berringer. The ADA 8000/82000....next up is the Focusrite stuff....after that you get to Audient units (2 of them)...And after that you are in the $3000 + range.

I have Audients and they are fine...but I also have an ADA8000...which to be honest...is equally as "Fine"

It's not exactly the same, but the difference is not significant, and really....a matter of taste.

I would say the slightly more expensive Focusright stuff might be a waste of money, I really don't know what they would add.

I would suggest dropping $100 or $3000 +

Anything in between is kind of "no-man's land"
Someone mentioned no one was making adat out interfaces in another thread, listing a load of discontinued ones..I then looked and found all had a newer model. There’s got to be at least 5-10 budget (depending on what you call budget) options. Various focusrites, Audient, presonus off the top of my head (there was another couple of cheaper ones) - that’s before you get to rme, lynx etc in the middle ground.

Besides - if there’s 2-3 options, why do you need more?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

there are older 8 channel converters around for a tiny bit more - e.g. lucid 88192 usually about £4-500, aurora, various apogee etc etc

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search