The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
In Line Mic Preamp Alctron MA-1
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

In Line Mic Preamp Alctron MA-1

Just curious to see if anyone has tried one of these Alctron MA-1 Cloudlifter type mic boosters.

This one looks to be built solid and can be bought for $29 which is much cheaper then the Cloudlifter $150, Fethead $99, Martini Audio $65.

There isn't allot of info on them yet other then two videos. One guy does pretty good using it for video work and the other guy complained about self hiss when it was cranked. Obviously an in line preamp is going to generate self noise but you wouldn't need to max the volume after connecting it either.

I have one of those Martini units but only discovered the fine print after buying it. Apparently the guy builds a non pro version which is cheaper and noisier then the pro version. The cheaper version I ended up with was too noisy for recording.

I'm hoping the Alctron has lower noise levels. It says it provides a 25dB boost and has a <3mv noise level but they really doesn't tell me much because its placed in front of a full frequency preamp which is going to boost its noise floor. The video of the one guy using it sounded pretty good so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Cloudlifter used to be allot noisier before they redesigned their unit recently bosting they have removed all resistors from the signal path. Haven't used a Fethead so I'm not sure how well they work. I suspect they all produce some noise and its just a matter of gain staging the mic properly to make things work right. The one preamp I have has an input trim and output gain levels. When using an in line booster, you can get rid of allot of hiss by attenuating the input gain.

If anyone has tried one I'd be curious to hear your feedback. Otherwise I'll have to wait till I get one next week and see how it works out with my Ribbon mics. My interface has 63dB gain which is a bit shy of having enough clean headroom to get a good signal. I have to get close to the mic to get a strong signal and that makes any movement highly restrictive when doing vocals. running the preamp near max ramps the preamp noise levels way up so having a little more clean gain might do the trick.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search