The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Difference Btw/ Blue/Black Face Great River Pres
Old 6th June 2007
Lives for gear

Difference Btw/ Blue/Black Face Great River Pres

Specifically the MP 1-NV (blue) and the ME-1NV (black).

I've heard a rumor the blue face was supposed to be more revered?
Old 6th June 2007
Lives for gear

Only if you have a color fetish of some sort.

Internally they are identical.

Also, it means they came from the very first batch of 15 or so, with all the warts and blemishes that a first production run might have.

I don't think any have been back for service though, so they appear to not have any serious issues.
Old 6th June 2007
Gear Addict

I thought the black faced ones were mercenary editions. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 6th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrough View Post
I thought the black faced ones were mercenary editions. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think Dan knows what he's talking about. Not to mention Merc edition stuff usually has their logo on it as well.
Old 12th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kennedy View Post
Only if you have a color fetish of some sort.

Internally they are identical.

Also, it means they came from the very first batch of 15 or so, with all the warts and blemishes that a first production run might have.

I don't think any have been back for service though, so they appear to not have any serious issues.
so its not like the blue face will be a 'collectors item' any time soon, huh?heh
Old 12th June 2007
Lives for gear

Well, if something silly like that happens, I know where the blue powder coat is...
Old 12th June 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, if something silly like that happens, I know where the blue powder coat is...
heh heh ..... That's funny!....
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a blue face and black face and want to use it as the back end of a Folcrom. The blue is about 5 years old and the black is new.

Should i expect to hear any differences in sound btw the 2? if so, what can i do about it?
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umlaaat View Post
I have a blue face and black face and want to use it as the back end of a Folcrom. The blue is about 5 years old and the black is new.

Should i expect to hear any differences in sound btw the 2? if so, what can i do about it?
As Dan said there is no difference, just the color. I am all for them being sought after and people bidding crazy prices for them on Ebay. Then I can sell ours and buy more gear.

Patiently waiting for my pair of MP 500-NV Pres. Then we can A/B them all and think we hear something.

Peace Todd
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

I herd tha blak won sounz darker anne tha blu won sounz cooler.
Old 14th June 2007
I had the blue one for demo several years ago, and when I got the black one I did think it sounded a little different in the low end, and even asked Mr. Kennedy about it. In the past my impressions of gear have been affected by color, but, to me, the blue MP-1NV I had sounded a little better than the black one, so I kept the demo unit. If it wasn't different, fine. If it was, then I had it.

I don't think anyone should go by my impression (I took a LOT of LSD back in the day), but that was my experience with the Great River at the time. Compare for yourself, if possible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search