The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Interface OR Preamps?
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkon View Post
Hey I just wanted to say, thanks for all the help on this thread. I got the ASP880 in the end. It's on the way.
Very cool! No problem, it's always fun to talk gear and studio life.

I think you will be very happy with the ASP880. I don't see why anyone wouldn't be.
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
What a shame - for the sake of a few quid. I've always liked the sound of most Tascam pre's - it's not as if this is an outright budget box. Disappointing.
I need to update my Tascam 8p Dyna posting a bit.

The compressor knobs are a little wobbly and weak, but I have them in a very low traffic area, and they basically don't get touched.

BUT, more importantly, this is an incredible sounding preamp/converter.

My already great drum sounds are now sounding better than ever with the TASCAM. I'm really impressed.

I use the compressors on the close mics, but not the overheads or room mics.
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I need to update my Tascam 8p Dyna posting a bit.

The compressor knobs are a little wobbly and weak, but I have them in a very low traffic area, and they basically don't get touched.

BUT, more importantly, this is an incredible sounding preamp/converter.

My already great drum sounds are now sounding better than ever with the TASCAM. I'm really impressed.

I use the compressors on the close mics, but not the overheads or room mics.
Well, the at least it seems they've hit the nail sound wise! I don't know what it is with Tascam pre's, they seem to have a "solid-state" sound (if there's such a thing), a kind of thick gluey but compelling roundness to the sound - without sounding dull. I'm probably typing gibberish but I know what I mean in my head! Despite the build worries I'm very tempted to get one, I'm only in a home studio so robustness is less of an issue for me.
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
What a shame - for the sake of a few quid. I've always liked the sound of most Tascam pre's - it's not as if this is an outright budget box. Disappointing.
Well Tascam/Teac is owned by Gibson now.
Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Very cool! No problem, it's always fun to talk gear and studio life.

I think you will be very happy with the ASP880. I don't see why anyone wouldn't be.
Great. I have pretty much irresponsibly acquired my whole rig now, with just 1u left to fill.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search