The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Replace my Neve Console with Antelope or Apollo x
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Head
Replace my Neve Console with Antelope or Apollo x

Hi Folks!

Since the old lady always gets too hot while working, and I would like to work longer, I would like to replace the old console.

I want to go completely into the digital world with total recall.
I already want to use plugins when recording.. If I take Apollo x, I can put a plug in on each channel. When I buy Anthelope Goliath HD gen3, I only have 16 plugin slots. But maybe better converters.

In addition, the UAD system costs 3600 euros more and has less i / o possibilities
here is a Diagram of my Studio Setup.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyn31st4f6...02019.pdf?dl=0

I'm so torn that I'm glad for every tip!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Go hybrid !

Keep the console for the centrepiece and use for summing and fader moves.

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Head
That’s not an Option. i wanna get rid of the Console. Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Which neve is it? I'm sure I could take it off your hands for as high as 20 bucks
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manustix View Post
Hi Folks!

Since the old lady always gets too hot while working, and I would like to work longer, I would like to replace the old console.

I want to go completely into the digital world with total recall.
I already want to use plugins when recording.. If I take Apollo x, I can put a plug in on each channel. When I buy Anthelope Goliath HD gen3, I only have 16 plugin slots. But maybe better converters.

In addition, the UAD system costs 3600 euros more and has less i / o possibilities
here is a Diagram of my Studio Setup.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyn31st4f6...02019.pdf?dl=0

I'm so torn that I'm glad for every tip!
Be warned, stay away from Antelope and save yourself some grief, the gear only sounds good when it works...!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Be warned, stay away from Antelope and save yourself some grief, the gear only sounds good when it works...!
I've read that a lot about them too.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Head
Neve 66 Console

OK, if you are interested.... here is my Neve:
here are Pictures and a short Video in German...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cnl2sg04z...-JMXTKV0a?dl=0


Neve 66 Series 32 Channel direct out...w.o.Fader. but with Euphonix Fader. and Neve Master Fader!
Here is a list of the things that are involved in a purchase:

1x Power Supply with Long phat Cable.
1x Patchbay (13x 48 Point)
1x front remodeling to Hybrid (instand Neve Fader... Euphonix tub.
The outputs of the channels go to the patchbay and if there is nothing connected, directly to the converter
4x Neve Compressors (partially need repair)
3x Euphonix Artist Mix (2017)
1x Döpfer Keyboard (specially rebuilt for fitting under the Neve)
1x Neve Stereo Master Fader (Here are all inserted channels as a sum with the same volume)
2x Spare Power Supply
1x CPU Spare
1x Master/Aux Modul Spare
34 Spare Channels!!!!!!!!!!!!
+ various accessories (Aux Module, Meter, Crate full of stuff)
Old 2 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Helge's Avatar
 

What are your interfaces/converters now with the console ? Maybe there´s still any use for them ?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
What are your interfaces/converters now with the console ? Maybe there´s still any use for them ?
Antelpoe Orion HD+
Old 2 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

i'd use a (small) digital desk nevertheless: ime monitoring, aux feeds to musicians, connecting some analog and digital outboard is easier and faster than going itb altogether.

can't tell about apollo vs antelooe 'cause i've yet to see an antelope setup which keeps performing under varying circumstances...

i'd get an rme madi interface and converters plus plugins of choice...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 06:21 PM.. Reason: edited
Old 2 weeks ago
  #11
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manustix View Post
Hi Folks!

Since the old lady always gets too hot while working, and I would like to work longer, I would like to replace the old console.

I want to go completely into the digital world with total recall.
I already want to use plugins when recording.. If I take Apollo x, I can put a plug in on each channel. When I buy Anthelope Goliath HD gen3, I only have 16 plugin slots. But maybe better converters.

In addition, the UAD system costs 3600 euros more and has less i / o possibilities
here is a Diagram of my Studio Setup.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyn31st4f6...02019.pdf?dl=0

I'm so torn that I'm glad for every tip!

Let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer for you as you figure things out.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #12
Gear Head
I‘d use the Antelope Mp32 as a preamp and than 16 Inputs in a Apollo x16, 2x8 Line Inputs in 2x Apollo x8p. Than use the 16 preamps of The same 2 Apollo x8p for the fixed drum set mics.
For monitoring (musicians) I have Behringer P16s an would use the 16 outs from the x16.
For Monitor Control i’d Use a Apollo twin. Does this work?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manustix View Post
I‘d use the Antelope Mp32 as a preamp and than 16 Inputs in a Apollo x16, 2x8 Line Inputs in 2x Apollo x8p. Than use the 16 preamps of The same 2 Apollo x8p for the fixed drum set mics.
For monitoring (musicians) I have Behringer P16s an would use the 16 outs from the x16.
For Monitor Control i’d Use a Apollo twin. Does this work?
What a mess. Just get a motu 24 ao ai
Old 2 weeks ago
  #14
The latest Antelope converters are suppose to have software that corrected some bug issues. I know they have taken many steps to improve their image scince Sweetwater parted ways with them. If it is rock solid now, it provides the best option with 32 channels for a cheaper price compared to the 16 channel Apollo

Last edited by Glenn Bucci; 2 weeks ago at 08:00 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

The claim that Apollo converters aren’t good is nonsense. Also, the Apollo interfaces are rock solid, the plugins are fantastic and include gems such as the model of Capital Records echo room. The Unison preamps and plugins are great though the are not as useful in the 16X. But what really speaks volumes is that when the Apollo was released none of the other companies were offering the ability to track with plugins. Now they all do. Lastly, coming to this website for advice will only establish that there is little by way of solid information and piles of opinions of which this response is just another. Apollo’s are great and if you can’t make a great record with an Apollo it’s not the fault of the Apollo.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

One more thing. If I needed 24 tracks and had the bread I would consider an 8PX and a 16X so I could also use the Unison capabilities. With that you wouldn’t need any hardware and could spend your money on microphones, instruments and some exotic preamps for the 16X.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Head
 

I think I would throw Apogee, Lynx and Metric Halo in the mix. If cost isn't an issue there is Avid's MTRX. Anyway lots of options. The one thing I don't like about the UA Apollo lineup is if you want to track with their plugs you have to use their Console software for low latency. I have an Apollo but I refuse to use the Console as it is a huge pain in my opinion. I track without plugs anyway, so for me it is not an issue.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #18
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
One more thing. If I needed 24 tracks and had the bread I would consider an 8PX and a 16X so I could also use the Unison capabilities. With that you wouldn’t need any hardware and could spend your money on microphones, instruments and some exotic preamps for the 16X.
My recommendation as well! Awesome rig!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #19
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manustix View Post
I‘d use the Antelope Mp32 as a preamp and than 16 Inputs in a Apollo x16, 2x8 Line Inputs in 2x Apollo x8p. Than use the 16 preamps of The same 2 Apollo x8p for the fixed drum set mics.
For monitoring (musicians) I have Behringer P16s an would use the 16 outs from the x16.
For Monitor Control i’d Use a Apollo twin. Does this work?
I’d get something very usable in your audio that that you like the sound of. Do not judge performance just based on the price tag and hype. Hear these interfaces yourself.

Antelope has reliability and usability issues even if it is working. Their software is a nightmare.

The UA Apollo stuff is best for direct input guitars and tracking with their own plugins. If you don’t want to do that and be stuck with UA plugins, other brands sound and work better for less money. There’s no reason to go all UA and be stuck entirely in their ecosystem. If you have a low enough latency interface, you can always track with plugins running on the computer rather than on the SHARC dsp Chips in the Apollos.

Consider Apogee, MOTU, and RME. They all sound different, are all reliable, and all sound better than UA imo.

Apogee sounds good and a Symphony or an Ensemble or two would probably work for you but they are rather overpriced and thunderbolt only.

RME you might not like the sound of but they make very reliable digital interfaces with every connection that you can hook converters that sound better into.

MOTU similarly ime but the sound is better. They’re very bang for buck and you can chain their interfaces together with AVB or use one as a digital in or out.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #20
Gear Head
and how is it possible to put them together?
Lets say Apollo 8xp for Control Room and the rest of the Studio over AVB with Motu or Focusrite ????
Old 2 weeks ago
  #21
Deleted f944e7a
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by manustix View Post
That’s not an Option. i wanna get rid of the Console. Thanks
I really hope you will not regret selling it within a few months. But when thinking of going itb, keep an eye on the new McDSP hardware which is in my opinion the future of plugin emulation.. None of the existing plugin emulations come near to the sound of that box. None! It comes with a pricetag, but what a sound!!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #22
Deleted f944e7a
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
My recommendation as well! Awesome rig!
Well, obviously you recommend it as being the manufacturer. Would be strange if you would recommend something else. My recommendation is, never buy yourself into a complete system offered by one manufacturer. Take your time to explore different models by different manufacturers. Take the 16 in out inteface you like best, route it through a summing mixer and go back to the rig using a high quality A/D like the Burl. As far as plugin emulations go, as I said before, have a look and listen to the McDSP. Eventually they will come up with eq's etc... My money is on that one, no further uad or whatever stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
Antelope has reliability and usability issues even if it is working. Their software is a nightmare.

In what way? Setup was simple to me, and I think it's very flexible.

Do you own one?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #24
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f944e7a View Post
Well, obviously you recommend it as being the manufacturer. Would be strange if you would recommend something else.
The recommendation was regarding the specific units mentioned. Of course I will recommend our gear.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #25
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manustix View Post
and how is it possible to put them together?
Lets say Apollo 8xp for Control Room and the rest of the Studio over AVB with Motu or Focusrite ????
No idea. You could also run adat out to an Apollo in one room but you’d need to thunderbolt into it from a laptop or something to set the unison dsp pres and plugins in the ua software. UA stuff is not the most flexible.

Also consider wiring. If you already have copper or madi in the walls you might just want one interface with a ton of inputs and outputs. Long thunderbolt cables are very expensive. Ethernet cables are cheap but the implementations are still limited and overpriced.

The Dante stuff would allow you to use better sounding stuff from Apogee, Lynx, Burl, and Prism but you’ll have to buy a thousand dollar pcie card and you have to familiarize yourself with their network protocol. It’s also all overpriced due to being a proprietary standard that must be licensed from Audinate.

The MOTU AVB stuff is pretty much plug and play with their switch but MOTU is pretty much the only good brand of AVB interfaces now. Don’t like the sound? Then tough luck with AVB.

You should try out the sound of whatever you want to buy before you commit too. You might not like it coming from a Neve console.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f944e7a View Post
I really hope you will not regret selling it within a few months. But when thinking of going itb, keep an eye on the new McDSP hardware which is in my opinion the future of plugin emulation.. None of the existing plugin emulations come near to the sound of that box. None! It comes with a pricetag, but what a sound!!
It’s not my console, but I’m kind of in a similar situation. Those old AMS Neve consoles (I’m assuming the 66 is post buyout, if I’m wrong I apologise!) are a maintenance nightmare especially in the day of no full time techs.

Although I’d love a hybrid system of a desk like the RND shelford on input duties, and an HDX rig with Eucon control for mixing. I could make that work great in our control room...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #27
Stay away from Antelope. I had nothing but issues with them. Their converters sound really good but drivers sucked for me. I went with two Apollo X16 and purchased a neumann summing system.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
The recommendation was regarding the specific units mentioned. Of course I will recommend our gear.
We have an Orion32 HD Gen 2, on PC It's been pretty stable aside from a few quirks, it is picky about USB Cards, but I tend to consider that a computer hardware issue rather than hold Antelope accountable.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #29
Gear Head
After some research... what do you think about
Staying native and buy some universal octos.
Than ged rid of all my physical cables in the Studio. Buy a good avb switch and build a small rack for every musician in the room. With rnd channels strip... a launch box with some good Pres and/or my already owned things like api channel strip, Avalon, Isa800, 1176, 6176....(depending on input source/instrument.
Than go into multiple motu 828es... so every musician has his own little high end 19“ rack with the ability to have a talk back and 2 HP outs. The musicians are able to do there hp mix via ipad and the onboard motu software. Opinions?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by manustix View Post
After some research... what do you think about
Staying native and buy some universal octos.
Than ged rid of all my physical cables in the Studio. Buy a good avb switch and build a small rack for every musician in the room. With rnd channels strip... a launch box with some good Pres and/or my already owned things like api channel strip, Avalon, Isa800, 1176, 6176....(depending on input source/instrument.
Than go into multiple motu 828es... so every musician has his own little high end 19“ rack with the ability to have a talk back and 2 HP outs. The musicians are able to do there hp mix via ipad and the onboard motu software. Opinions?
As long as it's as simple as possible. I have Hearbacks for musicians...I think the Aviom system for example is great, but it's more complicated than most musicians want to get into.

I've seen bands do their own HP mixes on ipads with a presonus setuo (for rehearsal) and it works well, but not everyone wants to be that involved! as long as it's just faders and pan, with no other setting up, you should be ok
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump