The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony HR-MP5 and HR-GP5
Old 29th July 2019
Here for the gear

Sony HR-MP5 and HR-GP5

Hi there. So, I would like to get a half-rack FX box with stereo processing (a stereo input is not necessary since I'm going to connect the mono FX send output to it). I've decided to get a Sony HR-MP5, but in my area there is only a GP5 available.
And since these units look similar (except that the GP5 has a mono input I don't care about, and the pedal input is on the back), I wonder if I can build the same patches with the GP5 as I could do with MP5? As far as I understand, both units allow creating custom patches with different effect combinations. If someone owns both, could you please explain the differences?
Thank you.
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Guru

from an older thread on these units:

they are apparently very much the same, with some presets specialized for guitar in the GP-5. And the input.
Quote:
Except the guitar version is mono in only, the MP5 is stereo in
Also, the MP is pedal input and phones on the front, but the GP is guitar input and phones
the full thread is HERE

there are some useful links on restoring the factory defaults and a link to another thread that discusses the battery situation.

These units use a button-type battery to keep the memory backed up. This battery dies after 5 or 10 years. Sometimes sooner. I was hardwiring the battery by soldering the wires directly to it, but it's a PITA when you have to do it "again". The smart thing to do is to solder a battery clip onto the device so that you can pop in a new battery as needed. And it will be needed.
Old 30th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
from an older thread on these units:

they are apparently very much the same, with some presets specialized for guitar in the GP-5. And the input.

the full thread is HERE

there are some useful links on restoring the factory defaults and a link to another thread that discusses the battery situation.

These units use a button-type battery to keep the memory backed up. This battery dies after 5 or 10 years. Sometimes sooner. I was hardwiring the battery by soldering the wires directly to it, but it's a PITA when you have to do it "again". The smart thing to do is to solder a battery clip onto the device so that you can pop in a new battery as needed. And it will be needed.
So, effects are the same, and the presets are the only difference in their firmwares? That's what I'm interested in. Didn't find anything about that in older threads. Also tried looking for the MP5 manual but only found the GP5 one, which has the effects list. If you own an MP5, could you please confirm if the effects are same as listed here in page 66?
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/70...page=66#manual
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullnull View Post
So, effects are the same, and the presets are the only difference in their firmwares? That's what I'm interested in. Didn't find anything about that in older threads. Also tried looking for the MP5 manual but only found the GP5 one, which has the effects list. If you own an MP5, could you please confirm if the effects are same as listed here in page 66?
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/70...page=66#manual
There seem to be some differences. For whatever reason, in my manual, the "sub" effects are not listed in the main chart, so it just says Overdrive - see page 96 and then on page 96 it tells you there are 4 different "flavors" of Overdrive. So it was a little confusing nailing it down as to what it had and did not have.

Also, FWIW, the effects are listed in two "blocks" - Effect 1 and Effect 2. I don't know how similar the two units are in terms of the internal architecture, but I do recall with the MP5, you can change the order of the blocks and make them run in series or parallel. So I assume this listing seems to be the 'raw' available effects and then the presets would be how you combine them.

One example of difference in "raw" effect that I spotted is the MP5 has the four 'flavors' of Overdrive, but it does not seem to have the "Crunch" effect which is listed in the GP-5 manual. It's not there as an effect of its own and not listed as a "sub-effect", either. It just does not seem to be there. Most of the stuff seems pretty much the same, but I guess not exactly the same. It looks like you get the 4 flavors of Overdrive and the 4 flavors of Amp Sim, etc. but no "Crunch" as a dedicated effect. There may be a few other things like that.

This place seems to have the manual and other GSers have linked to it in the past:

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_hr-mp5.pdf/download.html

just whatever you do, don't fall for that "PDF reader" bulls#!t. Watch what you click on.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sony HR-MP5 EEPROM ROM bin version 1.01 and 1.11j dumped by me

Hello! I want to inform everyone that I have made a HR-MP5 EEPROM bin dump myself, since I could not find it anyhere, and have 2 Units myself.

Versions 1.01 and 1.11j are available. Hope to collect more. I want to know what version Synthmania is using, since the presets in "that Juno60 video" differ from mine -- especially the order.

Cheers guys:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search