The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha CS5 volume problem
Old 29th July 2019
Here for the gear

Yamaha CS5 volume problem

Hi everyone new user long time reader.
I have a problem with my Yamaha CS5. All of a sudden it has gone quiet. If I crank up the amplifier on my mixing console way up I can hear it and it behaves as it should. Only the volume is like a tenth of the normal amplitude. Has anyone had similar problems?
Ive had it for maybe 10 years and apart from changing a key it has been a rock. And I love it dearly.

Upon opening it up there are no apparent problems (blown caps or swelling) nothing looks wrong.
I can see that some previous owner changed a few caps but since it has been working fine that would probably not be it.
I found a service manual online in japanese so following the instructions are extremely hard. Anyone have it in english?

Since it still makes sound albeit very shyly I wonder if something might have happened with the VCA. I can still turn the volume up and down on the initial level and every other pot makes the apropriate changes.
Thankful for help since the nearest repairman is 70km away.
/ monkeproggs
Old 29th July 2019
Here for the gear

Never mind after cleaning it and bending a suspicious ceramic cap it healed itself. All is well again.
Curious as to what all the VR pots do. Anyone who can shed som light on this?
Old 29th July 2019
Welcome to Gearslutz!

Glad ya fixed the issue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search