The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SM7B foam quality has changed
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Maniac

SM7B foam quality has changed

Has anyone else noticed that the foam on the SM7b isn't as nice as it used to be? I got mine probably around 10 years ago and the foam was a super soft, fine, matte material. I got some new SM7b's for a client's podcasting studio and I noticed right away that the foam was coarse, greyish, and not cut as evenly or smoothly. Has anyone else noticed this?

In the grand scheme of things, it's a quibble, but it definitely doesn't inspire the same admiration for the mic. I never thought once about the foam before, but now that I can see the difference, it just makes the new ones feel cheap. Am I the only one?
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

the first thing i do is throw the foam away... who need that crap in front of their mic?..ya ever hear how good it sounds off?
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
the first thing i do is throw the foam away... who need that crap in front of their mic?..ya ever hear how good it sounds off?
No, but I'm going to try that now. Thanks for the suggestion. I also have the old foam and the new foam, so I may a/b the foams as well just to see if they are different sonically at all. I imagine they are since it's clearly a different material.
Old 18th July 2019
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Guru

The title of the thread made me laugh a little. Use a pop screen if you have one for a singer. I like the way they look though with the small foam on, hopefully it's not too bad.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the foam on the SM7b isn't as nice as it used to be? I got mine probably around 10 years ago and the foam was a super soft, fine, matte material. I got some new SM7b's for a client's podcasting studio and I noticed right away that the foam was coarse, greyish, and not cut as evenly or smoothly. Has anyone else noticed this?

In the grand scheme of things, it's a quibble, but it definitely doesn't inspire the same admiration for the mic. I never thought once about the foam before, but now that I can see the difference, it just makes the new ones feel cheap. Am I the only one?
They may have changed the foam they use because it was deteriorating.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
The title of the thread made me laugh a little. Use a pop screen if you have one for a singer. I like the way they look though with the small foam on, hopefully it's not too bad.
Yeah, it’s a silly qualm to have, but I figured if I could talk to anyone about it, it would be my fellow gearslutz. It’s noticeably shoddier, but in the end, no big deal I guess. I just imagine the bean counter who figured out how to increase the margin on each mic by 5 cents by switching to a cheaper foam factory... lol
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
You may see Jeff Tweady, but all I see are plosives. I will definitely try this soon though.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah, it’s a silly qualm to have, but I figured if I could talk to anyone about it, it would be my fellow gearslutz. It’s noticeably shoddier, but in the end, no big deal I guess. I just imagine the bean counter who figured out how to increase the margin on each mic by 5 cents by switching to a cheaper foam factory... lol
Maybe this thread will drive up the prices of "vintage" SM7B's haha.

I never should have sold mine I regret it.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

The coarseness equates to more air holes and more transparency.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Maybe this thread will drive up the prices of "vintage" SM7B's haha.

I never should have sold mine I regret it.
Lol shoot me now.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
The coarseness equates to more air holes and more transparency.
Does it though?
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does it though?
Yes.

More air transfer, less sound absorption.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You may see Jeff Tweady, but all I see are plosives. I will definitely try this soon though.
I think of the foam on/off is basically a third setting ("air band") on top of the bass rolloff and presence peak on the back. Not always needed but def nice as an option.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search