The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
If you were to buy a preamp today for around £1000 what would you get?
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Addict

If you were to buy a preamp today for around £1000 what would you get?

I need to buy a new preamp, I have been borrowing a Focusrite ISA 1 with the digital card however its time to return it.

I liked the ISA 1, it worked really well with my RME HDSPE aio. I can buy one for around £600 but i thought it best to ask around to see if there where any other options worth exploring.

Would the SSL 6 be good value?
Old 17th July 2019
Here for the gear

The SSL would be good value. You'd get 2 clean pre-amps, the ability to setup monitor mixes for recording sessions, a 10 channel summing mixer, and a few minimalist analog eq and compression tools.

But there are plenty of other more dedicated pre-amp type options. You might also want to look at the Heritage Audio & Warm Audio 1073 channel strip clones with built in EQ. A UA Solo 610 with a vintage 5751 valve in V1 would be a good option for a more colored pre-amp.

Of course with a budget of 1,000 pounds you could get a top of the line, made in L.A., fully discrete BAE 1073 Mic Pre in lunchbox, 500 series or rack mounted format. AML in Manchester, also has fully discrete options.

Decisions decisions! Good luck!
Old 18th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethem View Post
I need to buy a new preamp, I have been borrowing a Focusrite ISA 1 with the digital card however its time to return it.

I liked the ISA 1, it worked really well with my RME HDSPE aio. I can buy one for around £600 but i thought it best to ask around to see if there where any other options worth exploring.

Would the SSL 6 be good value?
What mic are you using? What instruments are you recording? What genre?
Old 18th July 2019
Here for the gear

What about a whole ISA channel strip?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOCUSRITE-I...oAAOSwLlJc6vDB
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
What mic are you using? What instruments are you recording? What genre?
I'm recording bass, guitar, synths, vocals for mostly rock music using an SM57, SM58, SM7B and a se2200.

One feature I really like about the ISA one is that you can DI the instrument and then send a signal out to an amp and record that at the same time. It's a very cool feature to have all in one box.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Resolution View Post
What about a whole ISA channel strip?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOCUSRITE-I...oAAOSwLlJc6vDB
Damn,.... for $899, that's hhot!
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm recording bass, guitar, synths, vocals for mostly rock music using an SM57, SM58, SM7B and a se2200.

One feature I really like about the ISA one is that you can DI the instrument and then send a signal out to an amp and record that at the same time. It's a very cool feature to have all in one box.
DAV Electronics makes great preamps for a relatively low price. Their products don't look sexy. But, the quality is notable, particularly considering the price. They have a clean sonic quality that can suit many different musical contexts. Like the ISA one, the DAV Electronics BG9 has a DI input and To amp output. The price is similar.

If you want a 1073 style preamp, the Heritage Audio TT-73 is a good option too. However, a more expensive one. You can find it retailing for around $1000 or under if used. Like the ISA one and the BG9, it has a thru option that would allow you to send the signal to an amplifier while recording the DI simultaneously.

I hope this helps!
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

i find it more valuable to use channel strips than just preamps (as pres are getting used for a relatively short amount of time); depends much on your setup though - and do you need but a single mic pre? i like having the option of using multiple mics on the same source and evaluate sounds without having to repatch so i'm using almost nothing but multichannel pres (if not said channel strips).
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

You should definitely check out Phoenix Audio DRSQ4 MKII.

It is now technically an old, discontinued, model so lots of stockists are selling off the old stock. Originally it cost well over £2k.

I got one about a year ago and could not be happier. If you do a bit of research you will see it a very highly regarded preamp. And you get two channels and an eq on each!

Studiocare sells them for £999.

https://www.studiocare.com/phoenix-a...CABEgLyk_D_BwE
Old 18th July 2019
I’d seriously consider the chandler TG2 500 if I was in the market for another pre. Sounds creamy and that fine gain is support useful for adjusting tone
Old 18th July 2019
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

I've been really happy with the Warm TB12 and Audient Mico. I paid less than £700 for the pair!

I've also used the Focusrite ISA, UA Solo610 and SPL Goldmike a lot and they are all great preamps.

I need another channel and am most likely going to get a Warm WA73-EQ.
Old 18th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
You could also just reamp the D.I. with a Radial ProRMP later, allowing you to fiddle with the amp and effects like you would an EQ while mixing. I just wouldn't buy a pre-amp based on whether the D.I. has an unbalanced output jack!
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Addict

So after much testing I decided to get an Eventide mixing link. Controversial but it does an amazing job at the the many things it can do. Really blown away by it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search