The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
done with api?
Old 17th July 2019
done with api?

I've seen a lot of threads talking about how they dislike api 312 on vocals. I've even made a post that generally describes the frequency response on a 312 from my own experience. But at the end of the day, can't get a 312 recording that isn't too hot. I'm getting a lot of amplitude over in the 2-3khz area and its just jarring to the ears. I don't mean any offense to other companies, but I feel like this is yet another one of my "spent too much on experimental gear" categories.

edit: Seems like this was mostly a gain staging issue.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EisaMo View Post
I've seen a lot of threads talking about how they dislike api 312 on vocals. I've even made a post that generally describes the frequency response on a 312 from my own experience. But at the end of the day, can't get a 312 recording that isn't too hot. I'm getting a lot of amplitude over in the 2-3khz area and its just jarring to the ears. I don't mean any offense to other companies, but I feel like this is yet another one of my "spent too much on experimental gear" categories.
Do you record a lot of loud singers?
Old 17th July 2019
Naw it's actually mostly soft singers or sound sources right now. One thing i had some success was with very high pitched stuff, but other than that, i'm not sure what's going on.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EisaMo View Post
Naw it's actually mostly soft singers or sound sources right now. One thing i had some success was with very high pitched stuff, but other than that, i'm not sure what's going on.
Hm. Your vocal mic(s) -- Asian condenser?
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru

There shouldn't be a problem there I don't think, not a big one anyway, with the preamp. A stock API 512c or 3124 is going to be a little pokey around 2K though. I've never been able to recreate this with CAPI preamps for some reason they are very different, even when using API op amps. Must be the transformers I guess.

My favorite 2520 op amp for vocals by far is the GAR AM10 Quad Eight style of op amp. You can simply plug it in and start recording. This has been my main vocal channel for at least a year now I believe, since I sold my SCA N72.

The AM10 op amp is a little more phat and smoother in the mids. The brightness is more toward the top end. It's hard to describe but I love the sound on voice. Sort of similar to a Pacifica or P1 from A Designs I think. Their pres are based around a similar op amp, and fairly similar transformers. I've never had the chance to compare them side by side though.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Addict

I have a rack of attenuators. Haven't looked back.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

I am just taking in the idea of a 312 being “experimental”.

!

What kind of API 312 are we talking about here? Something sounds wrong. I have not heard the new reissue, only vintage and the 3124.

There are a lot of singers who have been recorded with 312s, which according to internet wisdom, should not work...B52s, ZZ Top, just to name a couple well known cases. With U87s no less. How can that even work? I think it’s fair to say those vocalists might be described as not having particularly mellow voices, but the end result was killer.

You should really be able to record vocals without the input pad, but you can always engage it if need be. Also - there is no rule that says you have to have the input volume jacked up. Just turn it down.
Old 17th July 2019
Are you using an actual API?

Yes, API 312 is a little more punchy and high-mid forward, but it can sound good on pretty much anything. If you think it sounds harsh I think the problem might be your mic, mic placement, or the source.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Yup, sounds like a mic problem, not a preamp problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search