The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shure SM 7 B vs. EV RE-20 on vocals
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Shure SM 7 B vs. EV RE-20 on vocals

Hi,

I want to know general opinions on vocals between SFURE SM 7 B and EV RE-20.

I have some experience w/ the Shure, but I have never used EV RE-20 on vocals.
What your opinions?

Thanks.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Unless a high SPL mic is needed I don't care for either. But if so, then I prefer the 7. It sounds less middy to my ears.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

The RE20 is subjectively "flatter" and more "accurate" sounding. On a great voice it is a very good sounding mic. The SM7b might be a better choice for "troublesome" vocals, it provides more "enhancement" and "coloring" to the signal. Of course, not all voices benefit equally. The RE20 will give a "truer" representation of the source, along with a "tighter" low end and a bit more high end "detail". IMHO. Good luck.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Guru

I like the RE-20 over the SM7 for most things, vocals included. To me, it's just a better mic. And quite the workhorse if you are looking to broaden your mic locker.

But if you are purchasing a dynamic mic for the specific purpose of recording your own vocals, or your band's singer - i.e. one person - then you should take the care to shoot them out. In that case, versatility has to take a back seat to matching your singer's voice and your band's style.

Buy both from a place that will let you return one. Or rent. Or borrow. Or book an hour in a studio that has both.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

I find both to be in the same general ballpark.
I do prefer the RE20 though, because it‘s more versatile, and the missing proximity effect makes it more forgiving of poor mic technique or animated singers or players.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Put the Beyer M88TG on your shortlist. If the budget permits, also a used Sennheiser 441 in excellent condition.

Any of the microphones mentioned so far, work well on my voice. But the 441 is my fave, and the M88 a close 2nd.
I think the SM7 is the most fussy, as to which pre you use.
Chris
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite View Post
I want to know general opinions on vocals between SFURE SM 7 B and EV RE-20.
When making scrambled eggs for friends I use half a dozen eggs but my girlfriend prefers using six.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

In my opinion they’re two versions of undetailed and unflattering on most singers that I would never choose for anything other than a scratch vocal where I need to cut down on bleed. They’re great mics elsewhere, such as on amps or around a drum set.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

FWIW I always thought Marshall Crenshaw's studio vocals, sounded terrific on the SM7.
Same for Stevie Wonder on an RE20.
Chris
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
When making scrambled eggs for friends I use half a dozen eggs but my girlfriend prefers using six.
So which method is the one you usually use?
Six dozen eggs?
Chris
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Head
With the right preamp (I use a Neve style Great River MP-2NV) I think the SM7b wins hands down for vocals. To me, the RE-20 sounds a little "lifeless" and "dull" and requires fairly heavy EQ on vocals. I could see where it would be useful on a harsh/shrill voice. I love the RE-20 for bass cabs though, it's lack of proximity effect works great there. Never loved it on kick, though some do.

The SM7b seems more singer dependent than other usual vocal mics. Sounds great on some voices, terrible on others. I like to use it on rock songs with the presence boost on, seems to help vocals sit with guitar/cymbal heavy mixes.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Guru

The RE-20 has a slight presence peak on some people. It's a tiny bit more "raw" sounding.

SM7B is more perfectly tailored for voice, in my opinion, but both are useful.
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Addict

My opinion - not worth a whole lot - but, the RE-20 is the most utilitarian mic for anything, always, under any circumstances - forever..
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Gentlemen, if you confer with Jim Williams... He'd explain how a "fast preamp", helps makes the RE20 sound like a quality LDC.

I used to have a couple of EV 666's (the RE20's Daddy), which are very similar to the RE20.
But due to my prosumer pre's at the time, I'm convinced Jim is correct.

One of the best signal chains ever, when I tested/sang through it was... SM7>Little Labs LMNO Pre. Sounded amazing.
Chris
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

On the EV side, I have both the 666 and the RE20.

I love them both (for different reasons).

On the Shure side, I actually prefer the SM5 to the SM7 (most of the time).
It looks like this:
(Good luck finding one.)
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Ooooh, rare as hen's teeth SM5!
Chris
Old 15th July 2019
yep
Gear Nut

So, here is my weird perspective on these two mics, having had both and worked with them a fair amount...

In a general shootout, I almost always prefer the Re20 on just about any source. It just seems a bit flatter, smoother, and more “hi-fi” than the sm7.

BUT...

I would almost never use either of these mics to track vocals in a studio setting. On those rare occasions that I have used one of these as a lead vocal mic, it has always been the SM7.

I would happily use either of these mics on bass amp, kick drum, some guitar amps, spot instrumental mics in a loud live room, etc. But on the rare occasions I reach for one as a vocal mic, the sm7’s peakier, more aggressive sound is what I’m looking for and not getting from the usual LDCs
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
So, here is my weird perspective on these two mics, having had both and worked with them a fair amount...

In a general shootout, I almost always prefer the Re20 on just about any source. It just seems a bit flatter, smoother, and more “hi-fi” than the sm7.

BUT...

I would almost never use either of these mics to track vocals in a studio setting. On those rare occasions that I have used one of these as a lead vocal mic, it has always been the SM7.

I would happily use either of these mics on bass amp, kick drum, some guitar amps, spot instrumental mics in a loud live room, etc. But on the rare occasions I reach for one as a vocal mic, the sm7’s peakier, more aggressive sound is what I’m looking for and not getting from the usual LDCs
Careful, these mics are revered around these parts, especialy the '7B because thriller and what not.... it's frowned upon to say anything that could be perceived as negative about them, even if you're a pro engineer who uses them day in and day out.
Old 15th July 2019
yep
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Careful, these mics are revered around these parts, especialy the '7B because thriller and what not.... it's frowned upon to say anything that could be perceived as negative about them, even if you're a pro engineer who uses them day in and day out.
In fairness they are both legit mics that have been used as vocal mics on significant records. And either one could be a great choice for broadcast or similar work where background noise and line-of-sight are bigger priorities than in studio. And I would rather have either one of them than most cheap LDCs when it comes to handling plosives, sibilance, and ability to take compression and eq.

But yeah, mostly my answer is “neither”, when it comes to vocals.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

FWIW one very nice sounding "cheap condenser" for vocals (it's a MDC), is the new AKG (black) P120.
Chris
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Over the past 40+ years I have at my disposal 3 RE20s and 1 SM7 in my locker. The primary difference is the ultra tight capture pattern of the SM7: works well if max isolation (of a singer/guitar player for an example) is needed however a horse of a pre is generally required. The RE20 has a much better utilitarian value for many reasons.
Hugh
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
I played an F at a session the other day, and the drummer told me I need to play an E# there. So just to mess with him, I played a G double flat.

I've got both 7 (and 7b) and RE20 (and PL20). Both great mics you'll hear on a lot of famous recordings. Put em up, and see what sticks.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for Jesus

I have used both for 'keeper' vocal takes.

They are both good depending on the singer. The SM& needs a preamp with a lot of gain.

The RE20 is to me a more versatile mic, I use it for horns, kick, floor toms, vocals, bass amp

Right now I don't have a SM7 bur I wish I did,. It is on mu WISH list

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search