The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A really strange issue with my studio monitors
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Head

A really strange issue with my studio monitors

I have my first pair of studio monitors and I've got a weird problem where they crack/pop only when I get out of my chair and stand up. It never happens when I'm seated, and it doesn't happen every time I get up out of my chair but it is happening.

I thought it was just one at first and it was faulty, but I've tried both one on and the other off and its happening on both of them.

I've tried moving the speakers, tried using my laptop instead of my computer, tried plugging the studio monitors into separate surge protector that just powers them. The last thing I've not tried is a different audio interface.

But how can me getting up out of my chair cause this pop? Its really noticeable.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Best I can think of is some sort of grounding issue with the interface. I know this sounds ridiculous, but try a different chair and see if that helps. It's in the realm of possibility that it's caused by static.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Best I can think of is some sort of grounding issue with the interface. I know this sounds ridiculous, but try a different chair and see if that helps. It's in the realm of possibility that it's caused by static.
Static would have been my first guess as well, but why would static pop only when the music is playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxne
Also I have to be playing music through the monitors, if there's no sound then it doesn't happen.
When I think of a pop that only happens when music is playing I think of something like a bad splice in DAW. That is, an interruption of the signal and then the sudden onset of a new signal. A wave that is perfectly OK by itself will sound like a pop if it 'comes into existence' immediately after digital silence or a wave of different amplitude.

Quote:
The last thing I've not tried is a different audio interface
does it pop in the headphones?
does it pop on some other speakers?
can you get the pop to occur when you are recording?
and if so, does the DAW record the pop or is it just in the monitor?

what is the path of the digital signal?

have you swapped out the USB/whatever cables?

Maybe when you stand up, your weight has moved to a different part of the floor, maybe the desk sags a little and something pulls or pinches a digital cable or something like that?
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Static.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Head

Sorry should have mentioned, I’ve not even made it into a daw yet, when it happens I’m just listening to music playing back through the speakers. No cable issues I’ve plugged them in and out numerous times.

I’ve ordered a new interface to test it on, even though this one I’ve got now is only a few months ago.

I’ve not tested the headphone thing

I had speakers in my room for the past 15 years without any issues but they were just normal pc speakers plugged into the computer, I’ve only recently gone down the audio interface > studio monitor route
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Leds, wifi, and synthetic clothing can create a static nightmare in a room. I kept the leds and wifi and went back to cotton clothing and I stopped loading up on stray electricity. Don’t know if this is what’s affecting you but thought I should mention it.
Old 11th July 2019
Do you have exposed roof beams in the room?

What is the temperature/humidity?

What is the floor made of? Carpets?
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Do you have exposed roof beams in the room?

What is the temperature/humidity?

What is the floor made of? Carpets?
No, 19/20°C, carpet floor. Haven't had any previous issues with speakers, but this is the first time I've used audio interface and studio monitors.
Old 11th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxne View Post
No, 19/20°C, carpet floor. Haven't had any previous issues with speakers, but this is the first time I've used audio interface and studio monitors.
Thanks. How is the interface connected to the computer? Is it USB-powered only or is there a separate power supply?
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Thanks. How is the interface connected to the computer? Is it USB-powered only or is there a separate power supply?
Its a scarlett 2i4 and it's just usb-powered, tried it into my pc and also my laptop with the same result.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sorry should have mentioned, I’ve not even made it into a daw yet, when it happens I’m just listening to music playing back through the speakers.
but you are using the interface, right?

you mean you are playing back something from the computer, through the interface, and then on to the speakers. DAW or no DAW, the usb cable is still a suspect as it is required for this connection.

What if you got an mp3 player or your phone and connected that directly up to your speakers? No interface. Then at least you would know if it was the interface or not.

Quote:
I’ve not tested the headphone thing
If the pops are also in your headphones, then you know it's not a problem with the speakers. If the pops are not in your headphones, then it probably is the speakers themselves.
Quote:
I had speakers in my room for the past 15 years without any issues but they were just normal pc speakers plugged into the computer, I’ve only recently gone down the audio interface > studio monitor route
What was the "timing"? i.e. purchases vs onset of the pops. Did you get the studio monitors at the same time as you got the interface? Did you have them for a while first? etc.

I keep coming back to the thing you said about how it ONLY pops when there is music playing. That is really weird because it seems to eliminate so many common causes. Are you 100% certain about this? You can have your whole system on, the music application open (but in "pause") and you can jump up and down and there are no pops. But as soon as you play music and you stand up, there are pops?

Very strange!
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
but you are using the interface, right?

you mean you are playing back something from the computer, through the interface, and then on to the speakers. DAW or no DAW, the usb cable is still a suspect as it is required for this connection.

What if you got an mp3 player or your phone and connected that directly up to your speakers? No interface. Then at least you would know if it was the interface or not.

If the pops are also in your headphones, then you know it's not a problem with the speakers. If the pops are not in your headphones, then it probably is the speakers themselves.

What was the "timing"? i.e. purchases vs onset of the pops. Did you get the studio monitors at the same time as you got the interface? Did you have them for a while first? etc.

I keep coming back to the thing you said about how it ONLY pops when there is music playing. That is really weird because it seems to eliminate so many common causes. Are you 100% certain about this? You can have your whole system on, the music application open (but in "pause") and you can jump up and down and there are no pops. But as soon as you play music and you stand up, there are pops?

Very strange!
I'm 100% sure its not happened when music hasn't been playing. When it first started to happen I thought was that on the track so I rewinded and it wasn't. I'm certain its not happened when musics been off.

I've been playing something from the computer, through spotify/itunes. Monitors are connected up in the normal way through audio interface, balanced cables into the back of each.
I don't think I can connect directly to the speakers from my phone?
I will test with some headphones over the coming days

Timing, I got the interface a few months before these monitors. I tried a few monitors before I settled on these ones, those definitely didn't pop in the short period I tested them out. But I only tried them for a few hours.

To be honest, I can jump up and down and nothing will happen regardless. It's that initial get up out of my chair. I've tried shaking the desk, taps the sides of the speakers etc nothing brings the pop apart from me getting up from sitting down. I know it sounds ridiculous :/

It's not as soon as I play, it can be random. Today, its not happened for the past 8 hours. I've got up and down about 100 times trying to make it happen but for some reason today its not happened as much. Yesterday it must have happened 50 times
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Head

Saying that it just happened, moments after adjusting the volume and playing a different track
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't think I can connect directly to the speakers from my phone?
just an adapter cable from your headphone jack. Start with the volume low.

Just saying, any alternative source sent to your speakers could confirm or eliminate the computer/interface end of things

Quote:
It's not as soon as I play, it can be random. Today, its not happened for the past 8 hours. I've got up and down about 100 times trying to make it happen
I feel your pain!

Quote:
but for some reason today its not happened as much. Yesterday it must have happened 50 times
maybe if you keep a diary, you can link it to something. Static is often a weather-related phenomenon. Static occurs more when things are dry. Maybe it happens more at a certain time of day. Or when the dishwasher is on. Crazy stuff like that. I once tracked down a hum by figuring out it stopped when the security guard closed up a certain section of the building.
Old 11th July 2019
Deleted c0657d7
Have you considered an acoustics issue? (speaker height, first reflections).

Standing up, changes your listening position, possibly placing your ears in the direct way of the tweeters or in a path of reflected frequencies, which may result in you then suddenly hearing things that you were not hearing, or differently than, while seated.

It does not even necessarily has to be an issue with the recording; it may be the sudden acknowledgement of some coloration by the reflections, the change of listening perspective or a combination of both.
Since it will be dependent on the frequency content, it may not happen with any music or all the time.

I'm not saying that it is an acoustics issue, but first order reflections do really weird stuff to the sounds that we hear.

Success tracking down this elusive phenomenon.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodba View Post

Standing up, changes your listening position, possibly placing your ears in the direct way of the tweeters or in a path of reflected frequencies, which may result in you then suddenly hearing things that you were not hearing, or differently than, while seated.

It does not even necessarily has to be an issue with the recording; it may be the sudden acknowledgement of some coloration by the reflections, the change of listening perspective or a combination of both.
that's a good one.

it might also help to account for why it appears only when the music is playing

a good way to test for this would be to put a portable recorder - like zoom or even your phone - on a chair next to you, do the 'standing up' thing until it happens. Then go back and check the recording on the portable. If the pop is not there, if it only occurred at your ears and not at some other spot, that would indeed point to an acoustical cause.

and certainly in trying to 'make it happen' playing the same song at the same spot where it happened before would be worth a shot.
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Since it will be dependent on the frequency content, it may not happen with any music or all the time.

I'm not saying that it is an acoustics issue, but first order reflections do really weird stuff to the sounds that we hear.

Success tracking down this elusive phenomenon.
Agree with this. Has happened many times to me. I’m also curious about the chair you’re sitting in before you stand up and IT happens.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'm afraid of jinxing it but its not done it for a few days since I bought some monitor stands and changed the angle they are sitting, no longer on my desk now. The last it happened was when I picked the monitor up and placed it on the stand itself
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted c0657d7
Quote:
I'm afraid of jinxing it but its not done it for a few days since I bought some monitor stands and changed the angle they are sitting, no longer on my desk now. The last it happened was when I picked the monitor up and placed it on the stand itself
So, that points to reflections from the desk affecting the response, either in the sitting position or standing up.
Just acoustics though, nothing to be jinxed there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
So, that points to reflections from the desk affecting the response, either in the sitting position or standing up.
Just acoustics though, nothing to be jinxed there.
It's started to happen again after 5 days off
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

what kinda carpet? wearing shoes? what clothes? chair with wheels? must be static imo as others have mentioned previously...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Its happening every few minutes now, managed to test it with my headphones into the interface. Can confirm no sound came out of the headphone when it happened, just the speaker.
Carpet - yes. Shoes - no. Clothes just a t-shirt and jeans. Chair with wheels yes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Got a recording of it
https://clyp.it/ymyhd0nc
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

must be nerve wracking...

regarding clothes, carpet etc., synthetic material can indeed lead to issues, especially when moving: i experienced this with drummers on a synthetic carpet.

i assume you're using symmetrical cables from your interface to your speakers? but even if not and the cables would be laying on the carpet (if it would cause the ussues at all), they still should be shielded enough.

what you could do though is to drive the speakers off the headphone amp since it's clean: if you're still getting cracks, it must be the speakers/cables - if not, the outputs of your interface must be faulty.

just be careful when driving the speakers off the headphone amp !
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i assume you're using symmetrical cables from your interface to your speakers? but even if not and the cables would be laying on the carpet (if it would cause the ussues at all), they still should be shielded enough.

what you could do though is to drive the speakers off the headphone amp since it's clean: if you're still getting cracks, it must be the speakers/cables - if not, the outputs of your interface must be faulty.

just be careful when driving the speakers off the headphone amp !
As mentioned earlier it only happens when music is playing though.
Symmetrical cables? I just have two of these going to the speakers https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've checked and neither of the cables reach the floor, they are only 1 metre long and go straight into the interface.
Both speakers make the crack, it would be odd for them both to be faulty
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As mentioned earlier it only happens when music is playing though.
Symmetrical cables? I just have two of these going to the speakers https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've checked and neither of the cables reach the floor, they are only 1 metre long and go straight into the interface.
Both speakers make the crack, it would be odd for them both to be faulty
with trs on one side and xlr at the other end, the cables are symmetrical. and would indeed be odd if both speakers were be faulty... - did you check feeding them (or just one) from the headphone amp?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
with trs on one side and xlr at the other end, the cables are symmetrical. and would indeed be odd if both speakers were be faulty... - did you check feeding them (or just one) from the headphone amp?
I've plugged my laptop headphone out into the other input on my monitor and testing it on that now so not using the interface, or trs/xlr cable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've plugged my laptop headphone out into the other input on my monitor and testing it on that now so not using the interface, or trs/xlr cable.
i don't get why your changing gear: i thought it'd be about finding out what's causing issues with exactely the gear you're normally using?

well ok, if the speakers are faulty, you could find out by driving them from another source...

nevertheless, do yourself a favour: hook up things as before but use one cable going from the headphone output to one speaker and the other one from your regular output of the interface into the other speaker - if the headphone amp is clean, you should get the speaker which is hooked up to it to sound clean and the other one should still have these noises, which then would be prove that the regular outputs are faulty.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
i don't get why your changing gear: i though it'd be about finding out what's causing isues with exactely the gear you use?

well ok, if the speakers are faulty, you could find out by driving them from another source...

nevertheless, do yourself a favour: hook up things as before but use one cable going from the headphone output to one speaker and the other one from your regular output of the interface into the other speaker - if the headphone amp is clean, you should get the speaker which is hooked up to it to sound clean and the other one should still have these noises... - which then would be prove that the regular outputs are faulty.
Sorry I misunderstood what you suggested previously.
I don't have a cable that fits from the headphone outlet to the speaker
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry I misunderstood what you suggested previously.
I don't have a cable that fits from the headphone outlet to the speaker
o see... - btw your link to the cables was wrong: i was just looking up the scarlet and the outputs are asymmetrical (cinch) so you cannot use symmetrical cables with trs (jack): makes diagnosis a bit harder...

what are the inputs of the speakers?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search